Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Value after crash

• 03-01-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all, Jack frost decided to take a bite out of my arse early this morning & he sent me through a concrete fence. assuming the insurance company will write it off, how much am I looking at for it:confused: 05 1.4l Fiat stilo 75,000 miles.

Just a side note, 2 more cars came off at the same spot on the N4 this morning crashing through the fence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Whatever the cheapest one with similar mileage is going for on Carzone, less your Insurance excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

My brother had a problem with the insurance a few weeks back, they offered him 40% of the value of the car, he couldn't replace it even if he got one in the uk. This went back and forth anyway, my point is don't accept their first offer and be prepared to haggle. It seems like they don't like paying out!!

Oh yeah most important "You should be no better or worse off"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Looking at carzone I would be lucky to get 3500 - 4000 for it :( Did your bro get any joy from haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

beatman91 wrote: »
    don't accept their first offer and be prepared to haggle. It seems like they don't like paying out!!

yeh they're going to do everything they can to pay out as little as possible, but do haggle like you've never haggled before, i'm sure you've paid them enough over the years!
    Looking at carzone I would be lucky to get 3500 - 4000 for it :( Did your bro get any joy from haggling.

bit of haggling should get you a bit more but prob not much more than this, especially since ur reg has just aged another year.

• Advertisement

Car was insured for 7k, you can get one in the uk for around 5k now,

He got 4k but got to keep the car which they valued at 1.6 after the crash. So it meant he got 2400 plus the car. Dealer said its economical write off. So he is worse off but this took a month and no rental as they said they offered him the money and now its his problem if he doesn't want it.

So not the best but originally they offered a lot less then thins. Good luck and remember they are not your friends, so just be firm. I had a few dealing with them too and its not like it use to be. They hire in companys to beat you down on the price.

If your car was towed away, they will only pay till they make you the offer and after that you will be liable for the costs of parking, which can be big.

They also did a trick that they called my brother and made the offer, then 5 min later a towing company rang and said they are on their way. Not enough time to think about it. Just be carefull

I know it a long shot but can anyone hazard a guess at how much my insurance premium will jump up by next time around:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know it a long shot but can anyone hazard a guess at how much my insurance premium will jump up by next time around:rolleyes:
    Your insurance company will be able to give you a figure, but it will be based on current rates and may change if they increase premiums between now and your renewal date. It's still the closest you'll get to an accurate idea, though.

Well depends on age, if you had bonus protection, etc....

I mean if your premium was 300 then they can't ask for 4000 but if it was 2000 then they might. Anyway I'm not in the insurance so I don't know. I'm sure you could ask them...

Its a long shot but maybe you could claim of the council if you could prove that it was their fault but I'm not sure how far fetched that is.

I'll be killed for the last comment :)

Where on the N4 did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Its a long shot but maybe you could claim of the council if you could prove that it was their fault but I'm not sure how far fetched that is.

reading what the OP said originally it was nothing to do with the council, it was all Jack Frost's fault! :D

• Advertisement

Probably not worth it for the kind of money that's involved as you'd have to get engineers reports etc... But if if that was me and I had a 40k car claim I'd think about it...

Well depends on age, if you had bonus protection, etc....

I mean if your premium was 300 then they can't ask for 4000 but if it was 2000 then they might. Anyway I'm not in the insurance so I don't know. I'm sure you could ask them...

Just past the garden centre at moyvalley I think. Ive been trying to contact the owner of the fence but no joy yet. I take it my insurance will cover the damage to the fence?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought the OP was driving the car and not the council?
    well not quite killed :D
    I'd be curious to know (was planning on heading out shortly)

kbannon wrote: »
    I thought the OP was driving the car and not the council?
    well not quite killed :D
    I'd be curious to know (was planning on heading out shortly)

Myself & 2 other cars came off at the same spot just after the garden centre. So I reckon there was a lovely slick patch of ice that caught us out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yes but my point (directed towards beatman) was that it was your fault and not the councils!

I commute that stretch 5 days a week, I decided to take the motorway the last few weeks cause I know its treated(because its private and they have to provide a good service).

Yeah the fence is covered cause that's 3rd party.

And Kbannon :) yeah your right but if the three got together, with their powers combined they might be Captain Planet

Advertisement