Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste smell odd when you start pc?

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Built my pc now.. have it installing OS etc.

Kind of a strange cemical/plastic smell now though. I am guessing its the thermal paste baking or something? Am i right or should i be worried?

:o

Ty guys <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How do you know it's the thermal paste?

It's not that unusual to get plastic smells off a new pc as it warms up for the first time. There is a new PC smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Woody_FX wrote: »

Kind of a strange cemical/plastic smell now though. I am guessing its the thermal paste baking or something? Am i right or should i be worried?

Ty guys <3

Plastic burning is not good,can you isolate where the smell is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Woody_FX wrote: »

Ty guys <3

You should be concerned. Take the side off the case and power it up and see can you track down the source of the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Burning is completely different from what the OP said, he said a smell. All those computer parts will be covered in different chemicals that would be on them from manufacturing. When their turned on the first time those chemicals evaporate. Even a new DVD player would have these smells coming of it for the first day of use.

If it's burning it should be easy enough to find as it will probably turn into fire soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ScumLord wrote: »
    Burning is completely different from what the OP said, he said a smell. All those computer parts will be covered in different chemicals that would be on them from manufacturing. When their turned on the first time those chemicals evaporate. Even a new DVD player would have these smells coming of it for the first day of use.

If it's burning it should be easy enough to find as it will probably turn into fire soon enough.

I'm just after thinking,OP : did you remember to take the plastic off the bottom of the heatsink ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I fitted two new video cards to my one year old machine about a month and a half ago. I got a smell also from the machine which i knew was the cards. This went on for a few days.

Just saying it could be normal but it also could be a problem as its a new machine. Make sure noting is over heating or any of your fans touching anything ect....

If its still working after a week u should be fine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I'm just after thinking,OP : did you remember to take the plastic off the bottom of the heatsink ?

Lol that was the same thing i was about to say :P ive heard storys online of people forgeting to take that off and the CPU gets messed up lol

Advertisement