Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some perspective on the Aldi build

Options
  • 03-01-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

yes, with aldi in the name it doesnt sound good, but lately their electronics dept is starting to make a name for itself...

following on from this bargain alert, i wanted to know what you guys thought, cause im pretty tempted.

can you do better for the money?

im a little worried about the PSU in it, and the limitations it has, because Id obviously want to change the graphics card for something a little more game-able, and wouldnt want to have to change the PSU at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Its not bad at all,for €400 quid,you probably would have to change the PSU.It should be too hard to do at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A friends thinking of getting this, he's been completely out of the PC gaming loop for a while due to old technology. Is the graphics card in it any good? It should at least enable him to play games again shouldn't it? I think the last games he could play on it where Max pyane 2 and call of duty 2 so even if he can't run full spec, games should look allot better to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Its not bad at all,for €400 quid,you probably would have to change the PSU.It should be too hard to do at all
    easy to do, but buying a new PSU and graphics card kinda makes it not a bargain anymore, does it?

im looking to build something myself for around the €500 mark, with no need for peripherals, dvd driver or monitor, with the aim to gaming, do you think i should take my money elsewhere or buy this and strip it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    easy to do, but buying a new PSU and graphics card kinda makes it not a bargain anymore, does it?

im looking to build something myself for around the €500 mark, with no need for peripherals, dvd driver or monitor, with the aim to gaming, do you think i should take my money elsewhere or buy this and strip it out?

PSU's arn't to much, depending on how much power you need....

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

My current card is an Asus AH3650 which I'm pretty sure would be poopooed by "serious gamers" ...plays everything at high spec and good for me, don't really know how this Aldi job would stack up against it, both 512mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

dogpile wrote: »
    My current card is an Asus AH3650 which I'm pretty sure would be poopooed by "serious gamers" ...plays everything at high spec and good for me, don't really know how this Aldi job would stack up against it, both 512mb

Both about equal TBH

Both about equal TBH

In that case I wouldn't be worried about this card playing games to reasonable levels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dogpile wrote: »
    In that case I wouldn't be worried about this card playing games to reasonable levels

That very much depends on the monitor resolution you are playing at though. Bear in mind the difference between 1900 * 1200 and 1280 * 1024 is almost 1M pixels.

Demo of "Grid" on the same Asus card http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SO_1TO0u4

obviously not cutting edge but plenty enough for average users

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Have a look here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766301 - it was a thread by Komplett to get the best bang for you buck, with a max of €500. The winner will be decided on Monday (tomorrow), so it may be worth waiting until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the_syco wrote: »
    Have a look here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766301 - it was a thread by Komplett to get the best bang for you buck, with a max of €500. The winner will be decided on Monday (tomorrow), so it may be worth waiting until then.
    thanks, i was actually reading through that thread, but then i heard of delays in the prize, so lost interest, but tomorrow ill be checking up on it..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Both about equal TBH

AFAIK HD3650 >>> G210. The graphics in the Medion are fine for anything that isn't gaming; at that it just plain sucks.

No idea what PSU is in the Medion but I doubt sticking in a HD4770 or HD5750 (something that consumes <60W) would make it go pop. Given this gives you everything except the monitor for ~€500 its a good deal. You can make a much better gaming build onling for €500, but that's not including peripherals or - crucially for a budget build - an OS. The Win7 that comes with the Medion is worth a good €80...

Advertisement