Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

Supermacs is so overhyped.

You should bring a nice packed lunch with you on your journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

Gulliver wrote: »
    It's a good Chinese on High Street. Best Satay around.

Used to be lovely.. chicken satay skewers were divine! Got them the other night for the first time in over 2 years and they were burnt with barely a lick of satay sauce.. not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sacrilege. Uppity blow ins, coming here, insulting our main culinary institution! How dare you. Gastronomic perverts.
    Supermacs is just consistently good Irish chipper food. Variants of which is served in almost every normal chipper in Ireland. Same curry, same nuggets, same chips. Good, tasty and everywhere.
    The 4 Lanterns has food completely different. And having spent more than is healthy in there over the years, Supermacs comes nowhere close for we lucky few to have been brought up near a 4 Lanterns.
    Supermacs be damned! (Slightly melodramatic. But only slightly.)
    Having said that, I may pop in later as I quite like it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

il gatto wrote: »
    Sacrilege. Uppity blow ins, coming here, insulting our main culinary institution! How dare you. Gastronomic perverts.
    Supermacs is just consistently good Irish chipper food. Variants of which is served in almost every normal chipper in Ireland. Same curry, same nuggets, same chips. Good, tasty and everywhere.
    The 4 Lanterns has food completely different. And having spent more than is healthy in there over the years, Supermacs comes nowhere close for we lucky few to have been brought up near a 4 Lanterns.
    Supermacs be damned! (Slightly melodramatic. But only slightly.)
    Having said that, I may pop in later as I quite like it as well.

I know the feeling, but I've gone off the 4 lites chips as of late. Quite soggy... much prefer the Supermacs ones.

• Advertisement

Fortunately the people of Sligo are fond of their fast food and all will survive and prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I know the feeling, but I've gone off the 4 lites chips as of late. Quite soggy... much prefer the Supermacs ones.

Your right about the 4 lights it saddens me having to make the previous comments i did in this thread its just not the same anymore:(:(Nothing last forever i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭benki11

Opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Does the 4 lights use lard or veg oil for their chips does anyone know - and has the curry sauce got a meat or veg stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Does the 4 lights use lard or veg oil for their chips does anyone know - and has the curry sauce got a meat or veg stock?

I only know the place in Sligo and knowing their equipment very well I would say oil as heating up and filtering the shortening would be an otherwise painful process .

The stock, dunno never tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

As far as I know, the only place that uses lard for their chips is Molly's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

Ask Mr.Lights. He's usually working at the till.

Actually, on that topic, does Mr.Lights have 3 brothers or something. I don't get why he'd call it the FOUR lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Chipper Thread, and Supermacs Thread now merged, as no longer just about Supermacs.

Thanking you

Ask Mr.Lights. He's usually working at the till.

Actually, on that topic, does Mr.Lights have 3 brothers or something. I don't get why he'd call it the FOUR lights?

Mr. Lights changed it by deed pole to Four in the late seventies as he was a huge fan of Charlie's Angles and their colleague Boswell. It didn't work out as he'd hoped as the reasoning was quite convoluted and people didn't understand the connection. His real name is actually Marlboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SpencerMike

Supermacs sligo are very stingy on the food asked for large chips must have got about 10 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I used to love mollies when they had the small shop on holburn street.When they made the move it was never the same after:(

We were just saying the same thing in our house.It hasn't been the same since they moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone know whats the story with the chipper on the MCR?
    It used to be Borzas and it got a make over a few months ago and reopened...I cant rememember the new name!
    I went there a few times and it was really really nice...the place itself was spotless but for the last month or so its been closed.There is a note in the window saying closed due to a family breavement.....seems a long time to be closed.
    Has anyone any further information??
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

johnire wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats the story with the chipper on the MCR?
    It used to be Borzas and it got a make over a few months ago and reopened...I cant rememember the new name!
    I went there a few times and it was really really nice...the place itself was spotless but for the last month or so its been closed.There is a note in the window saying closed due to a family breavement.....seems a long time to be closed.
    Has anyone any further information??
    Thanks!
    It was re-opened as DiNardi's... and yes, it had fantastic food.

Someone mentioned to me recently that there was apparently a notice indicating planning permission on the site in The Champion recently... not sure how true that is!

It's unlikely to reopen again I'd say.. seeing as it's been closed for this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Mate of mine delivers for them. Was meant to be closed for a week and they just didn't open again he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

When I order a doner kebab in Charcoal Kebab in Sligo are we talking about a PROPER ONE like this?

doener-doksy.jpg

• Advertisement

Janine87 wrote: »
    When I order a doner kebab in Charcoal Kebab in Sligo are we talking about a PROPER ONE like this?

doener-doksy.jpg
    If you're ordering a kebab, you WON'T beat ZamZam's!

Basq wrote: »
    If you're ordering a kebab, you WON'T beat ZamZam's!

I heard ZamZams ones are the worst you can buy. I had one in there and you cant call that kebab. It was in a pitta bread which is completely wrong.
    It needs to look like the one on the picture.

It was in a pitta bread which is completely wrong.
    It needs to look like the one on the picture.
    The one in the picture looks like donor kebab meat and veg in paper...

.. give me fresh homepade pitta bread anyday!

What's wrong about pitta bread? That's traditional AFAIK.

The worst I've ever had is Roberto's - overcooked meat and heavy pitta bread. Ick!

doener-doksy.jpg

It will look nothing like that. Theirs are in an open wrap.

;)

Zams Zams aren't to bad, although been a while since I had one. Been getting from the Sligo Kebeb house lately, although a knife and fork are required to eat one.

:D

irish-stew wrote: »
    It will look nothing like that. Theirs are in an open wrap.

;)
    Uggh.. that sounds vile!

YUCK I wont order it so. Ireland doesnt seem to know what a doener kebab is! :eek::rolleyes:

It HAS TO be doener kebab meat and veg in it. Anything else is just disgusting.
    Maybe they should come to Germany and get some inspiration. :rolleyes:

What have you been ordering? :confused:

What have you been ordering? :confused:

I havent been ordering anything... thats the problem. You dont seem to know what a doener needs to look like. All Irish kebabs look vile!

The one you posted above looks like it uses flatbread..

.. you're unlikely to find anywhere outside of Germany that does that tbh!

Anywhere I've been (UK & Ireland) always uses pitta.

• Advertisement

YUCK I wont order it so. Ireland doesnt seem to know what a doener kebab is! :eek::rolleyes:

Maybe they should come to Germany and get some inspiration. :rolleyes:

Hence why Abra's dont sell Kebabs. They say they do, but its a lie.

Best one I ever had was in a turkish run one in Lyon. Generaly, any Turkish/middle eastern run takeawys will be quite good, where ever they are.
    Uggh.. that sounds vile!

Its not that bad once you eat some of the meat then wrap the bread around whats left.

Advertisement