Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Any info on any other styles of take away?
    What’s the best Chinese in Sligo, (or Indian)?
    I’ll be passing through this weekend and would love to phone ahead and then pick up.
    Thanks in advance Folks.

Mandarin Court on Wine Street is preety special, sit in and collection available, no delevery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Classic India is the nicest Indian you will find in the West of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Classic India and Mandarin Court.
    My two regular haunts.
    Neither cheap, but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ulisses78

wolf99 wrote: »
    Ex-borzas/dinardis has a planning permission notice up in the window signed "Borzas"
    That planning permission it's only about lighting, and it's from last year.
    I'm new on forum, and I'm very surprised reading this topic :o I didn't know that so many people share experience about chippers.
    Unfortunately, I can say which is my favorite shop, because I worked in few of them :D I'd start my "chippers career" in former Gusto (Borza) in Coolloney, after that I moved to Roberto's at Market St. Next one was Riva in Grunge, after that back again to Borza's at MCR, and after that was Di Nardi's :D
    As I said - I can't give any feedbacks, because it could be unfair IMO, but every single shop has good and bad things. Like everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Welcome to the forum and its nice to see an honest person without a hidden agenda

• Advertisement

Ulisses78 wrote: »
    but every single shop has good and bad things. Like everywhere.

Oh god dont tell me the bad anyway.
    What i dont know wont kill me, just give me food poisoning.

I got a take away from Limoncello above the Clarence the other night. It was one of the nicest pizzas I've had in a long time, real thin bases, proper Italian pizzas. Was really cheap too, check out the menu here.

http://www.limoncello.ie/-takeaway-menu-2011.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Slidey wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum and its nice to see an honest person without a hidden agenda

Holy Smoke Slidey, thats a bit of a generalisation. Are honest people without hidden agendas on Boards such a rarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I got a take away from Limoncello above the Clarence the other night. It was one of the nicest pizzas I've had in a long time, real thin bases, proper Italian pizzas. Was really cheap too, check out the menu here.

http://www.limoncello.ie/-takeaway-menu-2011.html

I'm usually a Bistro girl - going to try this tonight, will report back!

I'm usually a Bistro girl - going to try this tonight, will report back!

What did you make of it? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

tried them and to be honest, the Bistro take away is still head and shoulders above them

R

What did you make of it? :cool:

It was grand, pretty good value for money! I still prefer Bistro pizzas though! I would have liked the options of wedges or something, besides chips.

The pizza is an impressive size, I chose my own toppings of spinach, garlic and artichoke. I love how Bistro gives you full roasted garlic bulbs on their pizza, I think they must have just used garlic powder so it was quite faint.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

I just checked out the bistro and apparently its 10 euro a pizza to night and buy one get one free tomorrow night , is this true ?

Got a txt from them today.

Buy 1 get 1 free tuesdays. €10 any pizza mon to thurs.

I can't see this anywhere on the website - looked at the menu and twitter page but can't find it

Sorry fillefatale if it disapponted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

As an occasional Kebab fiend I have to ask the following as some of the previously posted responses are now probably out of date.

Best town center donor?

By previous responses I'm guessing Robertos, yes?
    Do these guys stay open till pub closing hours??

I see mentions of Sligo Kebab House & Zam Zam's. Where are these located?
    Unfortunately I'm only an weekend visitor home this last while due to work commitments so am not up to speed on the local takeaway lowdown anymore.

I've eaten a couple of times in the kebab takeaway located at the taxi rank on Castle Street (prob last year) and previously found them to be alright but at least were very large portioned.
    But never again following Saturday night!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Following a couple of quiet pints in Shoot's I decided to treat myself with a rare donor so I grabbed one from that takeaway.
    Two hours after eating it I awake from a restless slumber of crazy hallucinogenic dreams to find myself swimming in a goosedown sea of sweat, my guts in a monkey's fist of knots and my backside having developed a rather strong and urgent attraction to the toilet seat.

Feeling better now but the belly is still rumbling away.
    T'was a foolish decision to have bought from there as a couple of hours earlier while I was outside Shoot's front door chatting to a couple of mates we watched 3 of their staff walk past us carrying large basins of prepared food to the premises.

Our observations of " Surely that can't be right... hygenic...??" was conveniently ignored after masticating 4 pints of Shoot's finest.:rolleyes:

God how I miss that Epeius kabab house of Teeling Street, that was a quality spot!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As an occasional Kebab fiend I have to ask the following as some of the previously posted responses are now probably out of date.

Best town center donor?

By previous responses I'm guessing Robertos, yes?
    Do these guys stay open till pub closing hours??

I see mentions of Sligo Kebab House & Zam Zam's. Where are these located?
    Zam Zam's is top of High Street.. and Sligo Kebab House is Castle Street.

Best Donor Kebab in town is Zam Zam's IMO..

.. tried Sligo Kebab House recently and was disappointed.

Filling was good but the fact Zam Zam's make the bread fresh makes it a winner every time.

Basq wrote: »
    Zam Zam's is top of High Street.. and Sligo Kebab House is Castle Street.

Best Donor Kebab in town is Zam Zam's IMO..

.. tried Sligo Kebab House recently and was disappointed.

Filling was good but the fact Zam Zam's make the bread fresh makes it a winner every time.

Aren't Sligo KebabHouse pittas/wraps fresh as well? Although ocassionally the bread can be very greasy, making it very off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I had it recently and it certainly didn't taste it...

.. it was a little chewy although the sauce (although the kebab needed more sauce tbh) helped soften it.

Was definitely not in the same league as Zam Zam's in my opinion who I'm yet to be disappointed by - and the lads in there are dead on too!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    I had it recently and it certainly didn't taste it...

.. it was a little chewy although the sauce (although the kebab needed more sauce tbh) helped soften it.

Was definitely not in the same league as Zam Zam's in my opinion who I'm yet to be disappointed by - and the lads in there are dead on too!

Had a zam zams for the first time in ages a couple of weeks ago, agreed it was very good, but god damn huge, and an obscene amount of chips.

:D

+1 on the lads in there as well.

Charcoal kebab over from the cinema is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm firmly in the Sligo Kebab House camp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluejet

I'll give Zam Zam a go on the way home tonight so - haven't tried them yet. Easier parking too than the middle of High Street.

Report back........:)

Lol. Not even if I was hammered.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

best kebab on castle street, (opposite marys) is my favourite, great kebab and all the salad tastes fresh and crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Unless you're going in there after a night out. Was out there a few weeks ago and I wasn't drunk so, about my wits completely, ordered something that cost 3.50 and then a can so 4.50 was the total. I gave him a 5 note and a 50 cent coin. He told me it was 6 something and I said "the tenders are 3.50, no?" because I think the sign on the door says that.. But anyway yeah he handed me back 50 cent and I told him he owed me a euro and he wasn't too happy but forked it over. He also got away with over charging my friend on her cheeseburger and coke.. She wasn't watching her change like a hawk as I was though and she said it was a lovely burger so she didn't mind.
    I was a bit miffed at it though. Total cheeky thing to do.

Think that's put me off my Charcoal Kebab experience. They don't pull that over in the 4 Lights to people who don't even know what they ordered nevermind how much change they should be getting back!

I know I sound like a TOTAL penny pincher but f*ck being over charged, it's a bloody recession! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Ive noticed that quite a few of the smaller take-away places do something like that, in that the prices om the menu are never the prices they charge you. In some cases its a good thing though, Roberto's is nearly always cheaper than I think its going to be, but molly's (even though its lovely) is sometimes more expensive (but its a rarer occurrence).

Happy eater will charge whatever they think they can get away with, usually based on whether they know your face or not. Charcoal Kebab is generally on the spot during the day but they have tried the same trick with me once before. 4 Lites is always bang on though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

wolf99 wrote: »
    Ive noticed that quite a few of the smaller take-away places do something like that, in that the prices om the menu are never the prices they charge you. In some cases its a good thing though, Roberto's is nearly always cheaper than I think its going to be, but molly's (even though its lovely) is sometimes more expensive (but its a rarer occurrence).

Happy eater will charge whatever they think they can get away with, usually based on whether they know your face or not. Charcoal Kebab is generally on the spot during the day but they have tried the same trick with me once before. 4 Lites is always bang on though :)

You know what, I was in on Friday night and I wanted spicy tenders and a can. It should have cost me 5.20 as the tenders were 4.20 and a can was a euro. He said it was 5.80.. I know it's not HUGE but the occasional 60 cent here and there will add up I'm sure.

Roberto's is absolutely unholy amazing. The price they charge for the pizza's they make, UNREAL! I don't know why Bistro is even still open. What a load of crap being passed off as "Italian" food. It's totally an Irish thing, slamming as many toppings onto a thin base as possible! I know we're all for value for money but seriously, quality over quantity fits the bill the majority of the time for me!

Advertisement