Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

[Quote=Lornen;

Unless you're going in there after a night out. Was out there a few weeks ago and I wasn't drunk so, about my wits completely, ordered something that cost 3.50 and then a can so 4.50 was the total. I gave him a 5 note and a 50 cent coin. He told me it was 6 something and I said "the tenders are 3.50, no?" because I think the sign on the door says that.. But anyway yeah he handed me back 50 cent and I told him he owed me a euro and he wasn't too happy but forked it over. He also got away with over charging my friend on her cheeseburger and coke.. She wasn't watching her change like a hawk as I was though and she said it was a lovely burger so she didn't mind.
    I was a bit miffed at it though. Total cheeky thing to do.

Think that's put me off my Charcoal Kebab experience. They don't pull that over in the 4 Lights to people who don't even know what they ordered nevermind how much change they should be getting back!

I know I sound like a TOTAL penny pincher but f*ck being over charged, it's a bloody recession! :pac:[/Quote]

We don't get take away too often but when we do I love a kabab from charcoal. Will have to watch out for the over charging, every penny counts.
    I will probably be hated for saying this as so many on here love 4 lights but I think it's awful got a chicken breast burger and it wasn't fully cooked they didn't charge me for it!! But that was the last time I ate there

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Have to say I really like some of the Bistro's pizza's, the Michelangelo is to die for if you like caramalised onions (and I do). But I haven't got from there in quite a while because, as you say, it is pree-eety pricey for a pizza these days. They do have some good deals on every now and then though.

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    We don't get take away too often but when we do I love a kabab from charcoal. Will have to watch out for the over charging, every penny counts.
    I will probably be hated for saying this as so many on here love 4 lights but I think it's awful got a chicken breast burger and it wasn't fully cooked they didn't charge me for it!! But that was the last time I ate there

Yeah, you have keep an eye out for the breasts there, especially if its busy. Normally the problem is that they've been sat waiting in the oven for too long though, not t'other way round.

I know for a fact that they do take it seriously there if you tell them about it though. (or at least they used to, haven't personally been in quite a while now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

wolf99 wrote: »

Yeah, you have keep an eye out for the breasts there, especially if its busy. Normally the problem is that they've been sat waiting in the oven for too long though, not t'other way round.

I know for a fact that they do take it seriously there if you tell them about it though. (or at least they used to, haven't personally been in quite a while now)

The guy I said it too seemed pretty he looked at it said I was right it was under cooked and was very apologetic

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I really don't like 4 lights but their pizza's are actually not too bad and very cheap. I just stick to the plain cheese as toppings can be seriously hit and miss.
    If Bistro could sort out their soggy bases and use half the toppings, I'd be all too willing to pay the hefty price tag for one. They have the most amazing chilli-lime dressing!
    Quick question for Bistro fans too, do they have artichokes as a topping choice? Can't beat artichokes and ham on a pizza! Amazing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Check out Limoncello there pizza are lovely and only 7.50 for a 16".I do agree about the bistro however there pizza'a are lovely but they could do with a little less toppings black pudding is awesome on a pizza ill always thank the bistro for that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Have to say being getting food from Robertos and hands down its now my favourite in town

Have to say being getting food from Robertos and hands down its now my favourite in town

Just inhaled a Milanese from Roberto's. Absolutely unreal.
    7 euro's for a 9inch round of absolute heaven!

We got a 14' Margharita and Pepperoni Supreme and to bump the price tag up to over 25 euro, we got a battered sausage and cheeseburger.

They have a deal that you get a free garlic bread and chips with any 2 pizzas and if you spend over 25 euro you get a free bottle of drink..

I asked him on the phone about the drink and he said no, you get free g.bread and chips nothing else..

That was ok, a bit inconvenient as it was advertised, but what the hell.

Food arrived and we noticed no chips..

A bit p*ssed to be honest.. Spent the guts of 30 quid and only got an extra garlic bread. No problem paying that but if you advertise an offer, get it bloody well right! My mum was dying for a few chips.

Pizza was out of this world though, lovely char on the crust and bottom of the pizza, EXACTLY like the pizza's I used to get in Northern Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Lornen wrote: »
    Unless you're going in there after a night out. Was out there a few weeks ago and I wasn't drunk so, about my wits completely, ordered something that cost 3.50 and then a can so 4.50 was the total. I gave him a 5 note and a 50 cent coin. He told me it was 6 something and I said "the tenders are 3.50, no?" because I think the sign on the door says that.. But anyway yeah he handed me back 50 cent and I told him he owed me a euro and he wasn't too happy but forked it over. He also got away with over charging my friend on her cheeseburger and coke.. She wasn't watching her change like a hawk as I was though and she said it was a lovely burger so she didn't mind.
    I was a bit miffed at it though. Total cheeky thing to do.

Think that's put me off my Charcoal Kebab experience. They don't 'pull that over in the 4 Lights to people who don't even know what they ordered nevermind how much change they should be getting back!

I know I sound like a TOTAL penny pincher but f*ck being over charged, it's a bloody recession! :pac:

Was in there one time and decided on getting a taco dip with my grub. Guy at the counter rings it all through, i'm about to hand over the money and realise that's 50c more than what it should be. I asked him could he show me how he arrived at that figure. He quoted me €1.50 for the dip. I told him that his menu says it's a quid, and i pointed to it. He then has the cheek to say that taco is the exception and is in fact €1.50. I again draw his attention to his menu that states all dips, which lists taco as one, is a quid. He won't accept this and insists on the €1.50. I end up saying to him 'just cancel my order, i'll go somewhere they don't take the piss out of customers'. He grumbles and says fine, i could have it for a euro.

I was pretty annoyed at the whole situation, and when i was handed my bag of food i made a point of opening it up in front of him. What did he casually forget to include? Why yes, the taco dip i paid a quid for. What a tosser, was so annoyed :mad:

On the plus side, every time i'm over that direction or been in there since, yer man doesn't appear to be working there any more, and the lads in there now are A1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm going to get a kebab there tonight , I'll see if I get overcharged :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

For the first time in ages I got a takeaway from HoWongs. I used to be such a fan of their food but last nights was so disappointing. The chicken they used for the sweet and sour was disgusting and the batter was gunge.
    Never thought I would say it but I won't be back.
    Does anyone know what the Chinese on the Pearse Road is like ? I've also heard good reports about the place in Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

HoWong's hasn't been nice in a long time. Peking House (on Pearse Road) is decent. GrEat (on Mail Coach) has a tendency to be overseasoned with salt. Best Chinese in town currently in my opinion is China City in the Market Yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

What has happened to Four Star Pizza? There was a truck removing everything from there this afternoon, and there's no answer when I tried to call. Can't order online from them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I actually spotted a Four Star truck over Millbrook this morning open and full to the brim with empty pizza boxes.

I, for one, won't be sorry to see it go tbh!

Basq wrote: »
    I actually spotted a Four Star truck over Millbrook this morning open and full to the brim with empty pizza boxes.

I, for one, won't be sorry to see it go tbh!

Whatever way you feel about the food (i think it's grand, better than Domino's at least) i think it's a bit harsh saying you wouldn't be sorry to see it go as the last thing we need is another derelict retail unit and more people out of work :(

I really don't like 4 lights but their pizza's are actually not too bad and very cheap. I just stick to the plain cheese as toppings can be seriously hit and miss.
    If Bistro could sort out their soggy bases and use half the toppings, I'd be all too willing to pay the hefty price tag for one. They have the most amazing chilli-lime dressing!
    Quick question for Bistro fans too, do they have artichokes as a topping choice? Can't beat artichokes and ham on a pizza! Amazing! :D

Bistro has artichoke on two pizzas according to justeat (the gourmet vegetarian and the greek feta & salami). Though I cant speak as to how good they are because even though I love the Bistro, artichoke on pizza is just vile :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

wolf99 wrote: »
    Bistro has artichoke on two pizzas according to justeat (the gourmet vegetarian and the greek feta & salami). Though I cant speak as to how good they are because even though I love the Bistro, artichoke on pizza is just vile :P

NEVER, artichokes on pizza are divine

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluejet

Report back........:)

Finally managed to make it for chips in Zam Zam. So far, the best I've had were Roberto's so I wanted to compare the two. However, it's not really possible because they're completely different. I really liked Zam Zam's. They're like an up-market MacDonald's chips - slight chips and plenty of them. They were, however, from a bag, unlike Roberto's, which seem to come from home-cooked potato's (I've seen them delivering the bags.)

In summary, Zam Zam = lovely chips and I'd recommend them highly if yer getting something with them. If you like a light chip they are really nice. If you're looking for a heavy, home cooked chip that'll fill you with one bag = Roberto's. Both are the best I've had so far in my long "chip" journey.

Does anyone know how much GReat charge for deliveries? I just placed an order worth 10.50 and was charged 13.50 at the door..

Didn't realise they had a 3 euro delivery charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Does anyone know how much GReat charge for deliveries? I just placed an order worth 10.50 and was charged 13.50 at the door..

Didn't realise they had a 3 euro delivery charge?

2 euro delivery I have been told!

• Advertisement

Razleavy wrote: »
    2 euro delivery I have been told!

He obviously helped himself to a euro's tip without my permission.
    I don't know how people expect a tip when a delivery charge is added..
    A bit miffed about that one. A touch on the cheeky side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Basq wrote: »
    HoWong's hasn't been nice in a long time. Peking House (on Pearse Road) is decent. GrEat (on Mail Coach) has a tendency to be overseasoned with salt. Best Chinese in town currently in my opinion is China City in the Market Yard.

I've never been to China City must try it out. I'm really disappointed that King's has closed down, it was my favourite Chinese in town. Also disappointed that Four Star is gone, I must have been the only person in Sligo that liked it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Hey Guys.I would be aware of Best Takeaway(Castle st).I was in there on Monday night,as I was eating my feed,I witnessed a RAT come from the toliets,it then ran under our feet and behind the bin until a customer chased it out the door.Most diguisting thing I have ever witnessed and I was stone cold sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Hey Guys.I would be aware of Best Takeaway(Castle st).I was in there on Monday night,as I was eating my feed,I witnessed a RAT come from the toliets,it then ran under our feet and behind the bin until a customer chased it out the door.Most diguisting thing I have ever witnessed and I was stone cold sober.

I hope you reported this to the HSE.

red sean wrote: »
    I hope you reported this to the HSE.
    I reported it to the Food Safety authority http://www.fsai.ie/makeitbetter/ Do you think I should contact HSE North West in regards to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Would be no harm. Not sure but, I think they actually issue the licences.

red sean wrote: »
    Would be no harm. Not sure but, I think they actually issue the licences.
    Just got an email back from Food Safety,to say that they have contacted the local enviromental health officer in realtion to this.

Dazzler88 wrote: »

Christ on a bike. I've always heard bad things about it (from a friend of a friend of a friend's cousin type thing, never directly) and have always made a point of steering clear, but now there's confirmation.

Seen about 15 black bin bags piled high in a heap the other week blocking the foot path at about 15:30 in the afternoon, rank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Ah come on - what did you think kebab meat is made of? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Doesnt Rafael Cretaro own one in Tobercurry?

Advertisement