Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Had Roberto's kebab Saturday night as I search for a replacement for Sligo Kebab house. Wasn't overly impressed tbh. Think that Charcoal Kebab might be the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

gustavo wrote: »
    Had Roberto's kebab Saturday night as I search for a replacement for Sligo Kebab house. Wasn't overly impressed tbh. Think that Charcoal Kebab might be the next best thing.

Have you had a Zam Zams yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Think Charcoal is tastier than Zam Zam's, but love Zam Zam's for the perfect way they wrap it up and the size of it. A meal fit for a king, nicer chips in Charcoal though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Never had zamzams. Is that the one beside the old Peter mark? Looks like an awful dirty kip.
    Is the food good?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Have you had a Zam Zams yet?

I have , few years ago now though. Must add it to my list :D

• Advertisement

Never had zamzams. Is that the one beside the old Peter mark? Looks like an awful dirty kip.
    Is the food good?

No that's Charcoal , Zam Zams is up High street past the Friary.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Anyone know is the Roberto's in Market Street Sligo the same as Roberto's Collooney?? Love the chips from Collooney but had no idea there was on in Sligo town :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

mano79 wrote: »
    Anyone know is the Roberto's in Market Street Sligo the same as Roberto's Collooney?? Love the chips from Collooney but had no idea there was on in Sligo town :pac:

yes , same owners , and food very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ali-d1936

really dissappointed to see that surf and turf in tesco carpark is closed, is there any chance they have moved somewhere else in town? loved that place. was a nice change to all the usuall takeaways in town

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Any one been into Molly's lately?! OH got a burger out of there yesterday and within the last month they've changed the burgers... McDonald's wouldn't have a look in with how tiny they are now! Dwarved by the bun. Absolute joke! Used to love the place but I wouldn't eat out of there now if I was paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Lornen wrote: »
    Any one been into Molly's lately?! OH got a burger out of there yesterday and within the last month they've changed the burgers... McDonald's wouldn't have a look in with how tiny they are now! Dwarved by the bun. Absolute joke! Used to love the place but I wouldn't eat out of there now if I was paid.

Huh. I wouldn't eat the burgers out of there anyway and I wouldn't be in there much, but the last two times I got 'large' chips out of there I was convinced it was something that came out of a chain, the portions were seriously reduced in size!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in The Little Chip yesterday. It's beside Mooney bar in Maugheraboy. Very nice place!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DenMan wrote: »
    Was in The Little Chip yesterday. It's beside Mooney bar in Maugheraboy. Very nice place!

What did you get? I had a chicken fillet burger from there before and it was awful.

What did you get? I had a chicken fillet burger from there before and it was awful.

I got two bags of chips, €2 each. Had cooked chicken bought in Dunnes. Big bag and they were very nice. Nice staff inside. They have a huge menu, an entire section for burgers alone! Great for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 numbskull20

Does anyone know if The Peppermill Mill is still open and if so, what are their opening hours?

Does anyone know if The Peppermill Mill is still open and if so, what are their opening hours?

Pretty sure they closed down during the summer.

Rumours of another take away going in where the Sligo Kebab House was on Castle Street.

Any truth, any ideas what it might be.

No longer as fond of the Kebabs in Zam Zams as I once was, Robertos are a bit meh, Best are even hard to get down even when drunk, and Abra, well they are not real kebabs at all.

Basically I miss Sligo Kebab House.

Had something from the Happy Eater last week, and it was really good, had been a while since I was there, and forgot how good it really was.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Had something from the Happy Eater last week, and it was really good, had been a while since I was there, and forgot how good it really was.

Apart from the auld lad who practically smokes inside the door and the other staff who barely grunt at you :mad:

Did you try a kebab from that place in Tesco car park

UrbanSea wrote: »

I know that isn't directed at myself, but has anyone else had a bad experience there (Charcoal Kebab)?

They got my order wrong (a few times) and once had me wait over half an hour and ended up with a burger I didn't want and stone cold chips. I know at least three other people who've been handed the wrong thing (which is especially frustrating when you're the only person in the place and there's nothing else to mix it up with!).

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »

Not in a long time. They are my least favourite of all the Kebabs in town.

:eek:
    I know that isn't directed at myself, but has anyone else had a bad experience there (Charcoal Kebab)?

They got my order wrong (a few times) and once had me wait over half an hour and ended up with a burger I didn't want and stone cold chips. I know at least three other people who've been handed the wrong thing (which is especially frustrating when you're the only person in the place and there's nothing else to mix it up with!).

I have once, had to send my order back two or three times one night. Just beacuse I'm drunk, it does mean I dont know what I want/ordered.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I have once, had to send my order back two or three times one night. Just beacuse I'm drunk, it does mean I dont know what I want/ordered.

Ha, yes, had that happen too. I ended up accepting my "veggie" burger (made from beef! I took it as I'm not veggie, just fancied a burger and didn't fancy waiting another 10 minutes in there).

A friend ordered a chip salad in naan. It's on the menu. Has been for years. €4.20, and I don't even eat the thing. Did the guy behind know how much it was? Nope. He had to have it pointed to. We get back to my house to kick back with the grub and watch Breaking Bad. My friend's order turns out to be shredded lettuce in naan. No chips, garlic, cabbage or chilis.

Unreal, will probably only go there again if I'm about to die from starvation (and the gut on me indicates this isn't likely to happen :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

What do you think about Panda, Chinese restaurant?

devil-80 wrote: »
    What do you think about Panda, Chinese restaurant?

Haven't tried it yet, but what I did find funny, that who ever dropped their flyer through the day, also dropped a slimming club flyer along with it.

I've always been happy with that place in Tesco car park. What's it called again, Charcoal? Kebab is usually one of the better ones I get

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Ha, yes, had that happen too. I ended up accepting my "veggie" burger (made from beef! I took it as I'm not veggie, just fancied a burger and didn't fancy waiting another 10 minutes in there).

A friend ordered a chip salad in naan. It's on the menu. Has been for years. €4.20, and I don't even eat the thing. Did the guy behind know how much it was? Nope. He had to have it pointed to. We get back to my house to kick back with the grub and watch Breaking Bad. My friend's order turns out to be shredded lettuce in naan. No chips, garlic, cabbage or chilis.

Unreal, will probably only go there again if I'm about to die from starvation (and the gut on me indicates this isn't likely to happen :pac: )

Was in there one night after a night out and I was the designated driver in with a load of drunks. Got the chicken tenders with a free dip for 3.50 I think? (this was a year ago if not more so not sure on price) but basically, he tried to jip a euro out of me. I got the tenders and paid with a fiver and he handed me back 50c.... I was confused and asked him was it not 3.50? and he gave me back a euro with absolutely no question or hesitation.. As if he was literally trying his luck and seeing if I noticed.. I was a bit confused by that.
    I wonder how many people they actually do that to. Not everyone is an absolute tight arse like me, I wonder how much they do make on the weekends! Friend asked for a cheeseburger but was given a regular hamburger.. I know there's only 20c in the difference but he charged for the cheeseburger. Just all seems a bit sneaky!
    From that experience alone, I'd not go back. They just seem like a shower of chancers.

Ah, they tried the "switch'n'dip" move on me too! Ordered food, paid for it - he short changed me by 50c, said the dips are €1.50. I said that all his menus outside and inside the shop state dips are €1. He then has the cheek to try and say taco dip (which I had ordered) was €1.50. I said I'd believe that if taco wasn't listed on all his menus!

I got my order was just about to walk out the door and took the notion of emptying the bag out in front of him. Was there any dip? Like hell there was. I didn't actually say anything, just stuck my hand out to him as if to say "we both know you didn't put that in on purpose". I was a bit shock where he picked up a dip and slammed it into my hand and eyeballed me the entire time!

Probably should have never wnet back after that, although there was a young lad working there over the summer in 2012 who could only be described as A1 and could have given the rest of the chancers in there a lesson in how to actually build rapport and get repeat custom, not rip people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Best chips in Sligo redux? Just had a disgusting bag of pale, undercooked chips from Roberto's on High St., probably the third time in a row I've gotten rotten chips from them and now I give up. They're not what they used to be, and I won't be buying from them again, when I have to cook them again. Unfortunately its by the time we get home that we noticed they're not fully cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes...would have to agree about Roberto's. I went there a few times and thought it was really nice. However the last time I went-and it WILL be the last time I got chips and a quarter pounder and it was awful. Felt really unwell for about a day afterwards. I went to the Happy Eater last week and got the same(I'm predictable!!) and it was delicious.
    Best chips in Sligo redux? Just had a disgusting bag of pale, undercooked chips from Roberto's on High St., probably the third time in a row I've gotten rotten chips from them and now I give up. They're not what they used to be, and I won't be buying from them again, when I have to cook them again. Unfortunately its by the time we get home that we noticed they're not fully cooked.

• Advertisement

Had a half pounder with cheese in Molly's yesterday afternoon. One of the nicest burgers I have ever had! Gigantic!!!

Advertisement