Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

The only problem I've had with Roberto's recently was overdone chips that just tasted burnt. I'd say it all to do with the new staff they have, other than that they're the chips in town I'll have. Happy Eater and 4 lights are both terrible.

The trick is to buy a bottle of Chip-shop vinegar from The Food Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Botulism wrote: »
    The only problem I've had with Roberto's recently was overdone chips that just tasted burnt. I'd say it all to do with the new staff they have, other than that they're the chips in town I'll have. Happy Eater and 4 lights are both terrible.

The trick is to buy a bottle of Chip-shop vinegar from The Food Centre.

Do you order Home Made, or just chips when you go to the happy eater?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Do you order Home Made, or just chips when you go to the happy eater?

I don't really go to happy eater, my roommate last year was crazy for them though. I'd occasionally buy chips, but whenever I had money to buy chips, I would try to get robertos

Botulism wrote: »
    I don't really go to happy eater, my roommate last year was crazy for them though. I'd occasionally buy chips, but whenever I had money to buy chips, I would try to get robertos

Next time your in, ask for the home made ones, slightly more expensive, but a lot lot nicer. Even better with curry sauce.

Hmmmmm, think I'll head tonight now.

Not sure if I'm getting more health conscious, but really fancied a takeway last night, and really didn't know what I wanted, and even if I did really want one.

Ali's opening up soon on the Mail Coach Road, a bit out of the way for the post beverage soakage, but might be worth a try, and a new candidate for the best kebab in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Every time I read this thread I want to get a 4 lights! The only show in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Does anybody know where the Chicken Hut is on high street? When you look for it on google maps you end up at zam zams, are they the same place?

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Does anybody know where the Chicken Hut is on high street? When you look for it on google maps you end up at zam zams, are they the same place?

Was the Chicken Hut not on Mail Coach Road, where Borza's was, and now where Ali's is going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Was the Chicken Hut not on Mail Coach Road, where Borza's was, and now where Ali's is going in?

No, that was the Portuguese Chicken Grill and has been gone for some time. The chicken hut just popped up on Just-Eat in the last couple of months. It says 30/31 high street as the address. But I have never seen a chicken hut on high street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

zombiepaw wrote: »
    No, that was the Portuguese Chicken Grill and has been gone for some time. The chicken hut just popped up on Just-Eat in the last couple of months. It says 30/31 high street as the address. But I have never seen a chicken hut on high street.

Was wondering the exact same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hate this thread, I always seem to stumble into it when I'm starving.:(

Anyone eaten in Ali's yet. Fancy something different tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Rugantino?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree. Rugantinos is excellent. At last somewhere to break the monopoly of what us laughably called The Italian Quarter if Tobergal Lane!!

quote="blondie29;90212801"]Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

johnire wrote: »
    I agree. Rugantinos is excellent. At last somewhere to break the monopoly of what us laughably called The Italian Quarter if Tobergal Lane!!

quote="blondie29;90212801"]Not sure if it's being mentioned here before but have gotten take away pizza a few times from the relatively new Italian beside pepper alley "Rugganto's" they are yummie and so much cheaper than the bistro rip off's which are usually around 18e where Rugganto's are about 10/11e.

Had sit in meal there too it was lovely.
    [/QUOTE]

Genuine Italian fare, funnily enough not actually in the multicultural cuisine quarter marketed as the "Italian Quarter"

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

anyone tried Ali's kebab?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

Would agree totally re. Rugatinos..great value for sit in & food is lovely. With the cheery Italian staff you'd think you're abroad! Will definitely get takeaways there in the future.

So I put my body, well my stomach on the line, for you, the good people, and foodies, of Sligo last week, and went to Ali's.

Went for the Donor Kebab Meal. I do like to see the spit my self when going for a kebab, so that I know weather or not they are slicing straight feom the spit, or weather they are getting kebab slices straight from the deep freeze as required, unfortunately from where I was standimg, and all their food prep and presetation equipment I could not confirm.

kebab its self was very nice, was presented open on a chunky peice of flat bread, so not soemthing you can grap and eat, a knife and fork is required. Was not swiming in sauce, with a generious amount of salad, and once a small amount left, I was able to wrap the flat bread around what was left, and eat without it falling apart.

Chips were of the chunky kind, nice and crispy, maybe alittle too salty for my liking, but they do give you the choice of salt and vinegar before wrapping.

Took a menu home with me, and noticed they also offer the kebabs as a wrap option, so maybe something like you would get in Zam Zams as well. They also offer you a choice of burgers, pizza, cod and chips, etc. Friendly staff, and good service.

most importantly, I did not wake up with the chilli taste in my mouth, unlike some other places, no mater how many times you wash your teeth afterwards, and not feeling blouted, heavy, and disgusting.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So I put my body, well my stomach on the line, for you, the good people, and foodies, of Sligo last week, and went to Ali's.

Went for the Donor Kebab Meal. I do like to see the spit my self when going for a kebab, so that I know weather or not they are slicing straight feom the spit, or weather they are getting kebab slices straight from the deep freeze as required, unfortunately from where I was standimg, and all their food prep and presetation equipment I could not confirm.

kebab its self was very nice, was presented open on a chunky peice of flat bread, so not soemthing you can grap and eat, a knife and fork is required. Was not swiming in sauce, with a generious amount of salad, and once a small amount left, I was able to wrap the flat bread around what was left, and eat without it falling apart.

Chips were of the chunky kind, nice and crispy, maybe alittle too salty for my liking, but they do give you the choice of salt and vinegar before wrapping.

Took a menu home with me, and noticed they also offer the kebabs as a wrap option, so maybe something like you would get in Zam Zams as well. They also offer you a choice of burgers, pizza, cod and chips, etc. Friendly staff, and good service.

most importantly, I did not wake up with the chilli taste in my mouth, unlike some other places, no mater how many times you wash your teeth afterwards, and not feeling blouted, heavy, and disgusting.

:D
    was in over the weekend they were slicing straight from the spit. pizza was nice to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

devil-80 wrote: »
    anyone tried Ali's kebab?

Got a chicken kebab from Ali's this evening, very fresh ingredients, very tasty. Didn't bother with chips, kebab was enough, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had the Donor Kebab meal yesterday from Ali's.. was OK.

Kebab meat was moist, but moist to the point of being a tad soggy. Bread was lovely and plus points for the big ass chilli pepper on the top of it.

Chips weren't great either.. another 30 seconds in the fryer and they'd have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Has anyone ever eaten from Noodle House in Ballisodare? Got a leaflet through the door from them this evening, thought I'd give them a try. Facebook page is only a week old...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Has anyone ever eaten from Noodle House in Ballisodare? Got a leaflet through the door from them this evening, thought I'd give them a try. Facebook page is only a week old...
    Reports I heard are excellent. Havn't sampled myself though!

red sean wrote: »
    Reports I heard are excellent. Havn't sampled myself though!

And they're getting another great review from me! The other half was delighted to finally get a 'chinese' takeaway in one of those square boxes instead of the regular tinfoil tray ya get everywhere else in town!

Ya get loads in each box! Great flavour from them! Tastes as nice the next morning straight from the fridge, which is unusual from my experience with Asian takeaway food from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Gotten Noodle house a few times and always happy. Drive past another chinese to go there when we happen to get one. Portions are great too

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is there a menu for this Noodle House place online anywhere? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Check the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NoodleHouseSligo wonder how much is delivery to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Check Your link - should be https://www.facebook.com/NoodleHouseSligo

• Advertisement

I was wondering that myself as they don't mention it on the menu at all. I think they said it was 3 euro.

Also, they don't take laser.

Advertisement