Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Is the Noodle House takeaway only?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

What is the general consensus of StreetCart these days? I have enjoyed the food anytime I have gotten food from there, but feel that the menu is quiet limited. The first time I ate there I was told that they had plans to add to the menu but it seems to be much the same. It has potential though.

What is the general consensus of StreetCart these days? I have enjoyed the food anytime I have gotten food from there, but feel that the menu is quiet limited. The first time I ate there I was told that they had plans to add to the menu but it seems to be much the same. It has potential though.

I don't eat there since they were advertising for a job bridge to work behind the counter a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I don't eat there since they were advertising for a job bridge to work behind the counter a few months back.

Same here, and I live right near it and ate there regularly. Glad to hear someone else feels the same. It seems to be busy enough and a lot of the ingredients are cheap stuff like rice and beans, they could afford to pay someone minimum wage. Shame cause I enjoyed going there, liked the food and the lads who were working there were sound. I let them know how I felt on fb, wonder if anyone took that position. 9 months to learn how to fold over a tortilla ffs.

I got a kebab from Zam Zam today as they used to be IMO the nicest in town. It was disgusting, drowned in sauce, barely cooked and hardly any meat for a large. Never going back up that bloody hill for anything off them.

I think Robertos, while still pretty cheap, has gone downhill and Best is overpriced and horrible. Molly's burger was rank the last time I went there but the curry cheese chips were good.

Man, I used to like the takeaways in town but I won't waste my money any more. Or maybe it's just that I drink less now and it's not as appealing fare when sober. I think today was the first time I had a kebab without pints beforehand.

I used to live near the Happy Eater and thought it was pretty tasty, until one day I was sitting in a chair waiting for my food and a mouse ran across my foot! Still, the chicken fillet burger with bacon and cheese was mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Tried noodle house the other day on the way home from work and it was delicious. Lovely and fresh tasting veg and noodles and a huge portion for €7. I had the Korean box which came in a garlic chilli sauce and my friend had the Tom Yum box. Both were class. Definitely be back to try more if the quality stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Popped into the Noodle House over the weekend. It is more of a takeaway with a few seats than a restaurant. That said the food was great, especially the Tom Yum noodles. Anyone likes Asian street food will enjoy this place. Prices seem reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Amataratsu

sligoface wrote: »

I think Robertos, while still pretty cheap, has gone downhill

Their portions are really small of late. Gonna lose a long time customer here if they keep that up.

Amataratsu wrote: »
    Their portions are really small of late. Gonna lose a long time customer here if they keep that up.

Don't eat there anymore, quality is inconsistent - chips undercooked, small portions. Going to the Happy Eater instead!

Happy Eater grub is great, but it is seriously overpriced and the staff are just downright rude.

Ah well, I might actually shed a few pounds, no loss! :pac:

• Advertisement

Amataratsu wrote: »
    Happy Eater grub is great, but it is seriously overpriced and the staff are just downright rude.

Ah well, I might actually shed a few pounds, no loss! :pac:

Yeah, in fairness I don't get there that often anyway, but am seriously deprived of decent chipper chips that are value for money, aren't dripping in grease, in Sligo town!

Yeah, in fairness I don't get there that often anyway, but am seriously deprived of decent chipper chips that are value for money, aren't dripping in grease, in Sligo town!

Yip, I still live in town myself and would love some decent chipper chips. Molly's are a no go for me (used to live near them, ate my weight in them over the years, can't stomach them any more) and Roberto's has issues as discussed.

Is there anywhere else worth trying really? Dying for some now, I may, just may, gravitate towards Roberto's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

The chipper beside Mooney's isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

SPM1959 wrote: »
    The chipper beside Mooney's isn't too bad.

The Little Chip. Used to be the snug in Mooneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

How come mcdonalds in Sligo never have-any apple pies ready, it's always 6 minute wait for them.

I was surprised to find that Ho-Wong chinese make the the nicest chips I've had in a long time from anywhere in town, and their curry sauce is lovely as well. I don't usually get chips with a chinese but I go there just for a bag of chips now.

I never go to Roberto's, Best, Zam Zam or Molly's any more, they all seemed to have stopped making any effort to make the food decent. Used to think Molly's was nice but now every time I get something it looks like they dropped it on the floor it's so messy, and is usually drowned in sauce and cole slaw ruining the burger, last time there was red sauce all over the top of the bun, no way to pick it up without getting it all over your fingers. Best is way overpriced, they even try to charge you for sauce and it's muck.

Happy Eater must be named ironically or something. Grouchy Grease Pit would be more accurate, the staff have horrible attitude.

How come mcdonalds in Sligo never have-any apple pies ready, it's always 6 minute wait for them.

You're right, same always happens to me! You generally have to complain to corporate office to get anything done but they do take complaints seriously, might be worth an email because the apple pies are delicious, one of my favorite things they sell. But they are also verrrryyy bad for the waistline!

[quote="sligoface;

Happy Eater must be named ironically or something. Grouchy Grease Pit would be more accurate, the staff have horrible attitude.[/quote]

Yes I have been there, what is their problem, so grouchy and unwelcoming at that place?

Just spotted a new takeaway on the MCR, on the other side of 'Great' as you go into the car park of MCR Commuinty Hall. When did that 'Popup'? Temporary job for the Fleadh or a permanent thing anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just spotted a new takeaway on the MCR, on the other side of 'Great' as you go into the car park of MCR Commuinty Hall. When did that 'Popup'? Temporary job for the Fleadh or a permanent thing anyone know?
    Yeah, it's called "The Great Pizza Place" or something.. remember that being an shed.. a bit out of the way to be a pop-up but hard to tell!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, it's called "The Great Pizza Place" or something.. remember that being an shed.. a bit out of the way to be a pop-up but hard to tell!

Thought it was an unusual location, especially almost next door to another Kebab/Pizza place. Might have to give it a try next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Menu through the door today..
    KEBABS
    HOGIES
    BURGERS
    CHIPS
    CHICKEN NUGGETS, GOUJONS, TENDERS, WINGS
    SIDE ORDERS INCLUDE ONION RINGS, GARLIC MUSHROOMS, FRESH FISH, FISH & CHIPS, SUASAGE!!!!!!!
    AND A PIZZA RANGE OF 10", 12", 16"

Plus Meal deals.

Had fish & chips from Ali's a few doors up on Monday, not great and it took forever to cook!

prodsc wrote: »
    Menu through the door today..
    KEBABS
    HOGIES
    BURGERS
    CHIPS
    CHICKEN NUGGETS, GOUJONS, TENDERS, WINGS
    SIDE ORDERS INCLUDE ONION RINGS, GARLIC MUSHROOMS, FRESH FISH, FISH & CHIPS, SUASAGE!!!!!!!
    AND A PIZZA RANGE OF 10", 12", 16"

Plus Meal deals.

Had fish & chips from Ali's a few doors up on Monday, not great and it took forever to cook!

Got a menu today, was very tempted. But someone tell me, what the hell is a Hogie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Got a menu today, was very tempted. But someone tell me, what the hell is a Hogie?

It's the fancy-smancy-yankee way of saying 'roll'.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

What's the best Indian takeaway in town? Don't usually get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

thebuzz wrote: »

Been going to Paprika on Pearse Road for a long while now. Their food is good and it always seems busy which is a good sign.:)

thebuzz wrote: »

Sligo's not great for Indian food, which is a shame, it'd be my first choice for take-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Sligo's not great for Indian food, which is a shame, it'd be my first choice for take-out.

Mine too:)

I have heard rumours that one is to open up in Ballymote. No idea where or when but will be checking it out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Basq wrote: »

Got a 12" pizza from The Great Pizza Place (obviously affiliated with the Chinese beside it).

Wowser. They don't skimp on the toppings or the base and a free garlic dip with the pizza. Beats Dominos and Robertos hands down. Gorgeous in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ComeEre2Me

There used to be a really wonderful Indian restaurant out past Drumcliff, on the right, years ago, its another restaurant or sportsbar now i think. Seemed a wonderfully well run place, always got complimentary poppadums and sauces as a taster while you order n wait. The folks who worked there were courteous, professional & friendly, we were never kept waiting too long, the food was absolutely delicious, very generous and incredibly reasonably priced, great variety on the menu, various flavoured naan breads, second to none. I loved going there, a special treat. Sadly, it hardly ever seemed very busy. Not sure if it was the distant proximity to town etc, or that folks weren't much into Indian cuisine, or what. One day, I arrived there, and they had closed up shop. :(

Advertisement