Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone know what the chipper is like on MCR?
    I can't remember it's name ....it's where Borzas used to be.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

johnire wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Ali's Kebabs..

.. yeah, it's decent food actually. Very VERY good pizza IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Ok ...many thanks!

quote="Basq;95839480"]Ali's Kebabs..

.. yeah, it's decent food actually. Very VERY good pizza IMO![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

johnire wrote: »
    Thanks!

Last time I was there the food (fish and chips) wasn't properly cooked and wasn't the warmest.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

prodsc wrote: »
    Last time I was there the food (fish and chips) wasn't properly cooked and wasn't the warmest.

:mad:

Cant comment on the fish, but really good kebabs, pizzas, and curry chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I always get the double cheeseburger in Ali's. Lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

What is the best of the following in Sligo?

Indian Takeaway

Chinese Takeaway

Chip Shop

Mexican

Italian

Im new to the area and would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

What is the best of the following in Sligo?

Indian Takeaway
    Paprika on Pearse Road.
    Chip Shop
    Robertos on Market Street
    Italian
    Rugantino's on Rockwood Parade.

I don't really rate any of the Chinese too highly, and don't think there is a Mexican, but Street Cart on Teeling Street is meant to be worth checking out.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Paprika on Pearse Road.

Robertos on Market Street

Rugantino's on Rockwood Parade.

I don't really rate any of the Chinese too highly, and don't think there is a Mexican, but Street Cart on Teeling Street is meant to be worth checking out.

I went to Street Cart last weekend actually. I really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed its rustic quality. I was quite surprised to find something like that in Sligo. I bought nachos, nothing too over the top, but it was really nice. The only thing I would say is I wish they had been heated up a little. Maybe its not the authentic way to serve the food, but whenever Ive used the home kits form the supermarket they go into the oven and the tortilla chips are hot when you eat them. They were not hot from Street Cart so I found that a bit unexpected. If I buy them again I will ask if there is a reason why its cold, and if it would be possible to heat them because I wanted it to be hot.

I went to Panda Chinese next to Tesco on my first day here as when I was sitting in the car park it seemed very busy with a steady flow of people going in and out. However it was not great at all. Two different dishes involved chicken and it was more like reformed chicken than succulent chicken breast. Absolutely not what I want at all. I didnt even eat it after a couple of bites.

The reason I asked the question is that Im such a miser I hate to spend money on food and not enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Went to The Draft House on the weekend. They've focused a lot on the styling and presentation of their food. I found it quite expensive. Very very little choice for vegetarians, and the portion sizes were small. Almost got knocked down with no apology from one of the owners/managers when I was going in to pay that afternoon. Not sure I'd rush back, but if you're into craft beers and burgers you'd enjoy it, but portions are dainty.
    I went to Street Cart last weekend actually. I really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed its rustic quality. I was quite surprised to find something like that in Sligo. I bought nachos, nothing too over the top, but it was really nice. The only thing I would say is I wish they had been heated up a little. Maybe its not the authentic way to serve the food, but whenever Ive used the home kits form the supermarket they go into the oven and the tortilla chips are hot when you eat them. They were not hot from Street Cart so I found that a bit unexpected. If I buy them again I will ask if there is a reason why its cold, and if it would be possible to heat them because I wanted it to be hot.

I used to like eating there but haven't been back in over a year since they were looking for a Jobbridge 'intern' to work on the counter.

• Advertisement

Is there a chip shop whose main focus is on fish and chips? From what I have seen most places seem to be Kebab style places that happen to sell chips. I am not really into those kind of frozen chips, I want fresh chips that they made on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is there a chip shop whose main focus is on fish and chips? From what I have seen most places seem to be Kebab style places that happen to sell chips. I am not really into those kind of frozen chips, I want fresh chips that they made on the premises.

The Happy Eater (arcross from the bus station) do home made chips, you do have to specically ask for them. Weather they are hand cut on the premises, brought in fresh, or a chunkier frozen version, compared to their regular ones, I'm not sure.

No pizza or kebabs on thier menu either.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The Happy Eater (arcross from the bus station) do home made chips, you do have to specically ask for them. Weather they are hand cut on the premises, brought in fresh, or a chunkier frozen version, compared to their regular ones, I'm not sure.

No pizza or kebabs on thier menu either.

Nice one, they are just 3 minutes along the road from me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Nice one, they are just 3 minutes along the road from me! :D
    Just don't expect to get a smile with those chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

thebuzz wrote: »
    Just don't expect to get a smile with those chips!

All add to the charm of the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Where has the best fish and chips currently? I mean not too greasy and nice and crispy. These things change so anywhere you've eaten from recently that was good. The 4 Lights are always good but as much as I love their chips(and I do) they just don't feel right with fish.

il gatto wrote: »
    Where has the best fish and chips currently? I mean not too greasy and nice and crispy. These things change so anywhere you've eaten from recently that was good. The 4 Lights are always good but as much as I love their chips(and I do) they just don't feel right with fish.

I think robertos are hard bet for their chips in town.

The chips in Ireland are totally different to the chips you would get in Glasgow. I have no idea what they do to them, and Ive spent many hours online searching for a way to emulate them, but in Glasgow the majority of chip shops have extremely soft chips. I dont mean soggy in fat, I mean just very very soft. They are delicious, especially when inside a Mortons Glasgow roll, which for the uninitiated, is the worlds best morning roll by about 10 million times.

On the other hand in Scotland we do also sell deep fried half pizzas to go with those chips. It really is quit as horrific as you might imagine, but its popular with the kids at lunch time! hahaha

They are lovely alright. How is the fish there?

The chips in Ireland are totally different to the chips you would get in Glasgow. I have no idea what they do to them, and Ive spent many hours online searching for a way to emulate them, but in Glasgow the majority of chip shops have extremely soft chips. I dont mean soggy in fat, I mean just very very soft. They are delicious, especially when inside a Mortons Glasgow roll, which for the uninitiated, is the worlds best morning roll by about 10 million times.

On the other hand in Scotland we do also sell deep fried half pizzas to go with those chips. It really is quit as horrific as you might imagine, but its popular with the kids at lunch time! hahaha

I find it varies a lot here. You have anything from skinny to huge, from crispy to soggy, dry to greasy. It goes by the chipper. No local style.
    I like to soak the chips for a while, dry them and then cook at 100C for 10 to 12 minutes, then heat the oil to 220C, cook the fish and then finish the chips for a few minutes until their nice and golden. A bit of salt and then absolutely dose them in vinegar :)
    They also deep fry pizzas in Naples, home of pizza. It's called pizza fritta. Never had it.

• Advertisement

They are lovely alright. How is the fish there?

Don't know really, fish isn't entirely my thing

Don't know really, fish isn't entirely my thing

Generally not a fan either but battered deep fried cod, haddock, whiting etc. I love. Also smoked fish. And barbecued mackerel. Actually seems I do like fish. Who knew?

Robertos chip have really gone done in the past couple of years, I've had undercooked and greasy chips from them more often than not.

I was out at Mullaghmore today and on the way back we decided to have some chips. There was a place across from the Topaz petrol station in Grange village. Bought chips there and then headed away down to the shore where I setup my stove/table/chairs and put my coffee pot on. I love doing this kind of thing. As soon as I lifted up the chips both bags fell apart, chips landed on the table and I got vinegar all over my trousers. I was raaaaaaging. I packed up all the stuff and went and got my money back. The amount of vinegar was ridiculous, literally swimming in it, all the chips were soaking wet. While I waited in the car for my partner to get the refund, some goon reversing out in front of me drove into my bumper.

Apparently there was a problem with the vinegar bottle cap, because when she took them back the girl that served them said the very next people after we had got served refused theirs as they said there was far too much vinegar on them. Ive never went back to a place, especially for something of such low value, but I was so utterly furious I was covered in vinegar I actually felt like driving through their window!

Now Im back home and I will make my coffee here instead. grumble grumble rage rage. Im still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I was out at Mullaghmore today and on the way back we decided to have some chips. There was a place across from the Topaz petrol station in Grange village. Bought chips there and then headed away down to the shore where I setup my stove/table/chairs and put my coffee pot on. I love doing this kind of thing. As soon as I lifted up the chips both bags fell apart, chips landed on the table and I got vinegar all over my trousers. I was raaaaaaging. I packed up all the stuff and went and got my money back. The amount of vinegar was ridiculous, literally swimming in it, all the chips were soaking wet. While I waited in the car for my partner to get the refund, some goon reversing out in front of me drove into my bumper.

Apparently there was a problem with the vinegar bottle cap, because when she took them back the girl that served them said the very next people after we had got served refused theirs as they said there was far too much vinegar on them. Ive never went back to a place, especially for something of such low value, but I was so utterly furious I was covered in vinegar I actually felt like driving through their window!

Now Im back home and I will make my coffee here instead. grumble grumble rage rage. Im still not over it.

That place is called Riva as far as I remember, I used to love their chips when I lived in Sligo!

Robertos chip have really gone done in the past couple of years, I've had undercooked and greasy chips from them more often than not.

I had some a few months back and found them underwhelming. Greasy and a bit soggy. I thought I'd just been unfortunate. Pity, because they were glorious. Crispy, fluffy and amazing potatoey taste.

I had some a few months back and found them underwhelming. Greasy and a bit soggy. I thought I'd just been unfortunate. Pity, because they were glorious. Crispy, fluffy and amazing potatoey taste.

Yep. I went back in and complained and their excuse was basically we're busy, what you get is what you get. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Yep. I went back in and complained and their excuse was basically we're busy, what you get is what you get. Nice.

I noticed that a while back, the chips are completely different to what they used to be like. Between that and the attitude I haven't gone back in a long time.
    I remember talking to someone who used to work with them that they changed their chips from actual fresh potatoes to frozen ones from a bag.

On another note I had a kebab from Super Fast Food in Collooney over the weekend, It was lovely! Chips are top class too!

Advertisement