Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Pudding Recipes

Options
  • 03-01-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

I have got a couple of lumps of good home made black pudding. I plan on using some of it as a starter for a dinner I am doing next week, does anybody have any tried and trusted starters featuring black pudding?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Salad leaves with a good homemade dressing.
    Black pudding, fried.
    Potatoes, steamed, cooled, peeled, sliced and fried until golden.
    Slices of eating apple, fried briefly.

Arrange pud, spuds and apple as you see fit on leaves.
    Yummy.

Also been threatening to do a tortilla (Spanish omelette) with a layer of black pudding and apple in the centre - not tried it yet, though!

As you may have guessed, I'm rather fond of the Black pudding, apple ad potato combination! The French serve it with puréed apple and potato too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Cheers.

All the recipes I've come across seem to go for a Black Pudding/apple combo so this must be the way to go. Is there any particular type of apple you would reccomend for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I've made the first reciepe above minus the potato and it was very good, must try it with the potato, thanks for the suggestion

I had a starter in the Purty Kitchen in Dun Laoghaire and I recently seen it repeated on The Restaurant seared scallops with fried black pud and pea purée. Divine. Very complimentary flavours.

Lucky you having some homemade pud.... Envy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

where did you get the pudding (home made black pudding ) very hard to get your hands on

foodaholic wrote: »
    where did you get the pudding (home made black pudding ) very hard to get your hands on

Through the girlfriend. A friend of her mothers makes it. I think she sells it at markets or something. I had some before at it was very nice so looking forward to doing up something good with it.

This is the recipe from The Restaurant:

BLACK PUDDING WITH RED ONION MARMALADE

Ingredients:

Serves 4
    4 Slices White Bread
    8 oz / 200 Black Pudding
    Basil

For the Onion Marmalade
    4 Red Onions, peeled and finely sliced
    1 oz / 25 g Butter
    1 tsp Thyme, chopped
    8 fl oz / 200 mls Red Wine Vinegar
    2 fl oz / 50 mls Red Wine Vinegar
    Salt and Black Pepper
    Method

First make the red onion marmalade. Heat the butter in a pot and stir in the chopped onions and the thyme and cook for about 10 minutes until they are soft and starting to brown.

Then add the red wine and red wine vinegar, bring it to just under a boil and then lower the heat.

Season with salt and black pepper and leave the pot on the heat for at least 30-40 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated.

Pre heat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4

Deep-fry the black pudding in a deep fat fryer or in a pot of hot oil. Remove when it is cooked through and cut off the outer protective skin.

Gently mash the cooked black pudding with the back of a fork and place in a circular mould, re-heat the pudding in the oven when ready to serve.

Toast the bread on both sides and cut off the crusts. Butter the bread and cut them into small strips or 'soldiers'.

To serve, Place a portion of black pudding on a warm plate and serve with buttered soldiers and some onion marmalade. Garnish with Basil leaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I wish you could email me over a slice

+1 :)

Inch House Black Pudding is fantastic

You can order it here:

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/ProductList.aspx?SubCatID=151&sub_selectionid=0&SCATID=3&selection=2

Or else shops in the Thurles stock it.

I had some a couple of months back and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

I don't have the recipe but the Port House do a great tapas of crumbled black pudding, spinach and pine nuts it's moist and amazing - makes a great starter served with warm bread

rcarroll wrote: »
    I don't have the recipe but the Port House do a great tapas of crumbled black pudding, spinach and pine nuts it's moist and amazing - makes a great starter served with warm bread

Had this and it's amazing, haven't figured out how to make it though, do you think there's some sort of berry in it, raisins or cranberries maybe?

Love the food in The Port House and Pintxos. The prawns pil pil are yumyum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

their food is phenomenal - went recently at lunch time and got two large tapas and wine for 10e, amazingly good food i'm going through the menu but havent got to the prawns yet - try their stuffed peppers or stewed veg topped with manchego cheese yum!

don't think there are any berries in it- think it's literally deep fried pudding, take the crusty skin off and scoop out the soft inside, mix with wilted spinach, oil, maybe garlic, toasted pine nuts...would love their recipes

Thank you rcarroll, I'll give that a go. Love love love their food, I used to like The Market Bar... not anymore!!!

Haven't been there in years but the Port House used to do a fantastic lamb chop tapas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

another tapas style way ive had it, was as part of a very rough hummus. The chickpeas were very roughly mashed (some were still mostly whole) and hte pudding was crumble mashed through it. not sure what else was in it, but it was gorgeous

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I've made the first reciepe above minus the potato and it was very good, must try it with the potato, thanks for the suggestion

I had a starter in the Purty Kitchen in Dun Laoghaire and I recently seen it repeated on The Restaurant seared scallops with fried black pud and pea purée. Divine. Very complimentary flavours.

Lucky you having some homemade pud.... Envy!!!

Oh yeah, that reminds me. When The Bodega, in Cork, first reopened, they did a skewer of cod and black pudding with a tomato emulsion sauce dribbled over it. It was fantastic but apparently people didn't like it!!:confused::mad:

Personally, I wouldn't let the average punter dictate my menu (if I had one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

goats cheese and black pudding are really good together. I do them with a Cider Reduction and it's lovely!

Is there a particular shop bought brand of goats cheese you would recommend? I would normally get my cheese in the market but I won't get a chance before the dinner.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. When The Bodega, in Cork, first reopened, they did a skewer of cod and black pudding with a tomato emulsion sauce dribbled over it. It was fantastic but apparently people didn't like it!!:confused::mad:

Personally, I wouldn't let the average punter dictate my menu (if I had one).

Is The Bodega still open in Cork?

The Bodega reopened in June after a complete refurb.
    Looks fantastic.
    Good staff.
    Great coffee.
    The food showed great promise when it first opened but got dumbed down a lot and is now pretty hit and miss.
    Such a shame, there was great potential there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My god that skewer was divine. I agree tho' that the food has turned into a bit of a hit and miss affair. Unfortunate after the first great weeks.

• Advertisement

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    My god that skewer was divine. I agree tho' that the food has turned into a bit of a hit and miss affair. Unfortunate after the first great weeks.

It was but "the punters didn't like it".
    And what would you and I know??:confused:

Advertisement