Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing Xmas dinner through airport:D

• 03-01-2010 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

I'm flying to Edinburgh tomorrow and I want to bring Christmas with me .... 2 bags of frozen ham and turkey and some cake. The food should be fine cause the journey is short and it will be frozen, but would there be a problem bringing it in my carry on luggage? Edinburgh airport is fine with bringing food across but Dublin airport doesn't mention it on their site. I know they are more awkward on security (now also charging for plastic bags), but only mentions liquids not food.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

Don't put it down your jocks. Id say it's ok if it's dead and not wrapped in tin foil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Best bet would be to call the Dublin Airport Authority and ask; http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A friend of mine is a pilot and has had grief over too much sauce on his dinner (chicken korma) exceding the liquid allowance, as opposed to ass loads of aviation fuel under his control!
    - so it probably depends on the level of theatre and common sense of individual staff on the day, if you ring they will probably say no as the safest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If its solid food it should be Ok, but have it near the top of your bag.

There was once a series of incidents where Christmas puddings were being mistaken for explosives of a similar density.

Of course, make sure that the food is kept at the right temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Aparently marzipan can cause a bit of bother (of the call me Bosco variety) due to how it shows up on some scanners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

fenris wrote: »
    Aparently marzipan can cause a bit of bother (of the call me Bosco variety) due to how it shows up on some scanners!

Ah yes, the auld foil wrapped semtex trick ;)

As someone who's on a break from the scanners, i can conclusively say you won't have a problem leaving Dublin airport with all that stuff in hold baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

KlodaX wrote: »
    I'm flying to Edinburgh tomorrow and I want to bring Christmas with me .... 2 bags of frozen ham and turkey and some cake. The food should be fine cause the journey is short and it will be frozen, but would there be a problem bringing it in my carry on luggage? Edinburgh airport is fine with bringing food across but Dublin airport doesn't mention it on their site. I know they are more awkward on security (now also charging for plastic bags), but only mentions liquids not food.
    Any suggestions?

Reminds me of the time my Dad brought back a turkey from the UK, it showed up as a mass of bones on the X-ray, he was questioned by security but when they saw what it was they fell around laughing :), didn't want to go off topic but just be aware...

Advertisement