Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy cough

Options
  • 03-01-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

any ideas? Our pup has developed a cough over the last 4 /5 days which only happened at night and in the morning. It had improved and we thought it was gone so didnt bring him to the vet last week but it was back last night and this morning with a vengence. It sounds like he is coughing up phlegm, getting it up and is then swallowing it.. He sleeps on his back and we were wondering if thats causing him problems....

His breathing appears to be fine and he is eating etc... We are planning to bring him to the vet tom morning but am curious if anyone has had a pup with the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Has he swallowed anything that may have gotten stuck? A bone? something that may have been laying around?
    Those things can lodge for days. When my lad was a puppy he managed to get his tongue around a teeny tiny pollypocket [ the 80s/90s kind ] and similar to your fella he had a cough for a few days til we brought him tot he vet.

If you can have a look back his throat and see if you can see anything [ That's if you can hold him still long enough :rolleyes: ]

Would there be anything outside that he could have gobbled up like slug pellets or some sort of flower food or poison that he may have been put down?? Could have irritated his throat a bit if he tried to swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It could possibly be kennel cough, although I'd normally expect a dog to cough all day, rather than just at certain times, but maybe the really cold air at night is having an affect on the dog. Phone the vet first, don't take the dog straight into the surgery, a lot of vets would rather you keep the dog out in the car for them to have a look at, in case it is kennel cough, as it is so contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Thanks to both of you...

Cant see anything in his throat and its so hard to watch him when he is outside that he could have swallowed something.

Thanks for the tip re bringing him into the vet.. We will call in the morning and see what he says. He is kept in doors so he is not any colder at night than during the day and he had a little cough there an hour ago so maybe it is kennel cough...

Will see what the vet says tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are his vaccs and worm dose up to date? Sometimes worms can cause a cough.

A good point re keeping the dog out of the vet's waiting room was raised. Also let your vet know what vaccs/worm doses your pup has had and how recently. Also if it's had any medication recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

convert wrote: »
    Are his vaccs and worm dose up to date? Sometimes worms can cause a cough.

A good point re keeping the dog out of the vet's waiting room was raised. Also let your vet know what vaccs/worm doses your pup has had and how recently. Also if it's had any medication recently.

Was just about to suggest lung worm.

• Advertisement

He was at the vet for his second set of shots last Friday week and as we wormed him in October, the vet said he doesnt need to be wormed again til February....

Will bring him tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry, I just hate to see him in discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

SarahSassy wrote: »
    any ideas? Our pup has developed a cough over the last 4 /5 days which only happened at night and in the morning. It had improved and we thought it was gone so didnt bring him to the vet last week but it was back last night and this morning with a vengence. It sounds like he is coughing up phlegm, getting it up and is then swallowing it.. He sleeps on his back and we were wondering if thats causing him problems....

His breathing appears to be fine and he is eating etc... We are planning to bring him to the vet tom morning but am curious if anyone has had a pup with the same thing.

My pup has the very same thing as mentioned,Got sick one evening and was just load of phlegm and its like a chocking cough....Gonna get the sister to bring it to the vet tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is your pup? Pups need to be wormed every month until they are 6 months then its every 3 months from then on.

andreac wrote: »
    How old is your pup? Pups need to be wormed every month until they are 6 months then its every 3 months from then on.

He is 5.5 months and am not sure so why the vet would say to leave him til Feb.

Will get all checked tom.

Well until 6 months they deffo need to be done every month then every 3 months.
    Hope you get on ok at the vets.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Well until 6 months they deffo need to be done every month then every 3 months.
    Hope you get on ok at the vets.

Thanks a million. Had him at a vet 3 weeks prior as well for his shots and nothing was said about it. Think he will be ok so fingers and toes crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Does anyone in the house smoke? Our eldest dog had a cough much like you describe since she was a pup and the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I gave up smoking a couple of years ago and her cough vanished within weeks, as did the wheeze the second dog had while sleeping. It's one of the things that stops me giving in to the tobacco cravings which still hit occassionally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Sounds like kennel cough, our pup had it started like that then went to coughing all day, sound of it is horrible. Our fella had an awful time with it, starting puking and was very lifeless, stayed in the vets for 3 nights with a chest infection, we got him home one evening and he had to go straight back the next morning as he couldnt keep anything down. Turned out it was a reaction to the antibiotic they use for chest infections... so just keep an eye if it is kennel cough. Took almost a week to realise it was the tablets doing it to him and he also had that antibiotic by injection. Was sure he wouldnt make it through that but as soon as the tablet stopped he was fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Keep a watch on your pup when you let it out. Had a similar problem with one of my dogs when he was a pup. Coughing at night or when he was resting.
    Digging was the problem with my dog and he just loved it.
    I stopped him digging and coughing stopped.(another story)
    I got that advice from a guy who knows a lot about dogs.

Hi All,

Well the poor scut has kennel cough but not too bad a dose. thanks to all for your input.

SS

Oh poor doggie. Have you other dogs in your household? If so im sure the vet told you that its highly contagious and make sure you dont bring him near any other dogs at all.

Advertisement