Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for life.

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭

I'm banned for life from every section of the broadband forum, I was accusd of being a shill constantly by a mod who eventually barred me without warning for a month and then for life ( i did upset him indirecly in another forum without mentioning his name in it but he knew I was referring to him, but I know it did not deserve a lifetime ban).
    I've tried contacting one of the senior mods about the problem but never heard back from him, can someone look into this for me, thanks DM,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Who did you contact, and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MicRo on 15/ 12 i'm banned since 16/7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

MicRo on 15/ 12 i'm banned since 16/7

i talked with the mods and none of them felt that the ban was unfair or wanted to lift it

do you consider that it was done unfairly? or did you apologise for the comments?

I've had a look into this and there seems to be two key issues aside from your general forum muppetry:

You've refused to answer a (perfectly legitimate) question about a potential conflict of interests.

The second is the following (extremely distastful) comment. Had I have seen it at the time, you can be assured there would have been another forum ban on your belt.

Until the first is done, and second is apologised for, the ban won't be lifted by me. If they are, you're continued access to the BB forum will then be contingent on you not acting up there again. So, the ball is firmly in your court now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

BuffyBot wrote: »

You've refused to answer a (perfectly legitimate) question about a potential conflict of interests.

The second is the following (extremely distastful)

It wasn't a perfectly legitimate question, it was a demand for personal information in a public which was also to be added to my sig. I have no problem revealing this info via pm to you and then you can advise.

I don't have a problem apoligising for the distastfull comment but I was treated like the scum of the earth constantly by the mod, constantly being accused of being a shill and a troll. I did not deserve the abuse that was being thrown at me constantly when I was only trying to help some people out on a subjuct i've a lot of experience with.

I'd like to quote another mod who I was actually having a conversation with in the thread hours before I was banned.

"I'm advising you this for your own good as I see from your posts that you are genuine about wanting to help.

I don't believe like some others that you are a x Shill, but the questions are being asked"

• Advertisement

It wasn't a perfectly legitimate question, it was a demand for personal information in a public which was also to be added to my sig. I have no problem revealing this info via pm to you and then you can advise.

In the context of the posts you're making on that forum, alas it is relevant. People come here expecting to find information, and with a reasonable expectation of being advised if that information is not from a neutral source (this is why we have Official Representative status for company employees who are authorised to speak on behalf of their employers, so that users reading their posts can use that knowledge in their evaluation of the information they're reading).

It's not easy to see one's employer (if you are indeed employed by that company) attacked in public, especially (as is often the case) the customer is nearly always wrong. That doesn't, however, mean that you can take arms against it.

So you have a choice, really - you can declare a vested interest (either via PM to me, or the forum Mods), or you can refrain from making any comment on that company, within that forum full stop. You can, of course, a line in your sig like many others have. That would be the honest, straightforward thing to do, but I'm not going to force you to do, either.
    I don't have a problem apoligising for the distastfull comment but I was treated like the scum of the earth constantly by the mod, constantly being accused of being a shill and a troll. I did not deserve the abuse that was being thrown at me constantly when I was only trying to help some people out on a subjuct i've a lot of experience with.

"Scum of the earth" is hyperbole of the greatest form, and I suspect you know that. There is no justification for making such a comment, so please don't try it.

You weren't "abused" in any substantive way or form that I've seen, or that you have demonstrated to me. The Mods have been tasked with the smooth running for the forum - your behaviour has been actioned, appropriately enough it seems to me, and your potential conflict of interest has been something which is ongoing. I've explained why this is an issue.
    I'd like to quote another mod who I was actually having a conversation with in the thread hours before I was banned.

"I'm advising you this for your own good as I see from your posts that you are genuine about wanting to help.

I don't believe like some others that you are a x Shill, but the questions are being asked"

As I said above, wanting to help, or even defend something is ok - but it comes at a price. The site is based on a certain level of honesty and openness. If you're "helping" but not fully disclosing your interest in the topic at hand, that's when it become problematic.

The questions being asked are perfectly valid.

Advertisement