Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File Recovery Tools / LiveCD recommnedations

• 03-01-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I defragged my WinXP machine there the other day as part of my semi-regular maintenance however it seems to have Borked my machine. The defrag finished fine and when I went to restart my machine next it just wouldnt boot.

I put in a Ubuntu Live CD and GParted was able to see the HDD but none of the partitions on it. It just showed the drive and listed the type of File System as unknown. This has me a little concerned as Ive always been able to use a LiveCD to rescue files before. I think there might be something wrong with the MBR eek.gif

Rescuing the Windows installation isn't a priority just recovery of files from the HDD's partitions. I was wondering if anyone can suggest tools that might be able to recover the files, I know there are some Linux LiveCD's out there that can do this but I definately don't know enough about Linux to use them properly. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'd try fix it with the XP CD first, maybe run a CHKDSK on it.

FIXMBR or FIXBOOT maybe, haven't done it that often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Linux tools I would use (if the Win CD fails) are
    testdisk ...... which should be able to recover the partitions and write the partition table anew.

Also there is
    photorec
    which is a part of the same package and is used for file recovery if necessary.

I suggest testdisk to try to recover your partition arrangement which should set everything up right again.

Most live CDs will have this tool, but there are speciality distros for this type of thing if you wish to go that route ....... check out
    www.distrowatch.com
    They have a means to get a list of Recovery/Forensic distros for you to choose from.

regards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the drive is fubared then you can try ddrescue to grab an image of it and try to mount as a loop later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mean-Machine

how about Ubuntu Rescue Remix?
    http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

Advertisement