Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Laois

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

crap,totally disgusted that most of roads in portarlington haven't been gritted and don't even get me started about monasterevin in kildare.Why do they choose to only grit motorways but leave the roads around towns and small road which are used alot.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

The road between Ballacolla and Abbeyleix was lethal today

Its the worst i've ever seen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

crap,totally disgusted that most of roads in portarlington haven't been gritted and don't even get me started about monasterevin in kildare.Why do they choose to only grit motorways but leave the roads around towns and small road which are used alot.:mad:

As far as I know, a lot of county councils have run out of grit/salt for the roads. Or else have a very limited supply.

Breaktown wrote: »
    As far as I know, a lot of county councils have run out of grit/salt for the roads. Or else have a very limited supply.
    good excuse when someone gets killed on the roads

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Ya seen the state of the bog road from Portarlington to Monasterevin? The Potholes are crazy after the snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Havn't been too bad on the roads I've been on luckily. I drove from Portlaoise up to the ridge of capard yesterday through ballyfin and the roads were fine. The motorway was grand this morning( bout time too) My estate is lethal though.

As for up here in Rathcoole, Co. Dublin, the roads are woeful! My little van was struggling to get up the hills this morning to work. I've never seen a road with such glass-like ice before and I've lived up here for nearly all my life before moving to Laois 2 years ago.

I gotta admit though.... I was devastated when I came home from a white wonderland in Dublin on New Years day, through snowy roads and dodgy motorways to find that Port-feckin-Laois was virtually untouched by snow! Just more shaggin ice!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

good excuse when someone gets killed on the roads
    That's just a ridiculous statement to make!

why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

That bog road is a fecking joke and then theres another big pot hole just entering the town -
    Any way - Stayed up in Dublin last night -
    Heading home to Portarlington 2night - how are the local roads anyone

• Advertisement

Because the poster you quoted was basically pointing out how stocks of grit were getting low and somehow you manage to turn that around into it's all an excuse in case someone dies!!

Wise up a bit!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Because the poster you quoted was basically pointing out how stocks of grit were getting low and somehow you manage to turn that around into it's all an excuse in case someone dies!!

Wise up a bit!
    whatever, its because the lazy b****** in the council couldn't be arsed to work new year to grit the roads.you wise up a bit the roads were dangerous because they never gritted them and use the excuse that they are short of salt.:mad:

Agreed some of our roads were not gritted enough over the holiday period and it seemed that the council and NRA were putting responsiblity on the motorist to take care in the icy conditions rather than grit the road. If someone did die i would partially blame the council because some of the private tolled roads were in excellent condition (eg M4 motorway). If the m4 tolled road was gritted regulary by a private contractor why can't the council keep the M7\N7 free from ice.

But the fact remains, the country was caught out by the level of snow and ice and did run short on grit supplies. I wouldn't call the council lazy b*****s for not gritting the roads though. I would more put it down lack of funds for grit and for paying the workers over time to work through the night. In previous years the council were always out day and night gritting the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Anyone in Portarlington today -
    What are the roads like - Bog Road/M7/N7 -
    Any snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

not sure bout motorway but around the town are fairly dodgy snow in afternoon didnt help much

Roads are pretty crap this morning but a hell of a lot better than over the holiday period.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

most main roads in the county are in good condition. i havent had any trouble over the holidays or in the last few days, apart from our estate of course....

roads around monasterevin were very bad again at 10 this morning headed to naas which is just as bad.Black ice everywhere so be careful everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Portarlington streets are clear but local country roads are very dangerous.Main road to Portlaoise and main road to Mountmellick are clear but Mountmellick to Mountrath via Ballyfin is extremely dangerous.

• Advertisement

And it's not as if it's ever this cold for such a prolonged period that snow is a given!

Advertisement