Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub in Portlaoise

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Publicdiservice

Kavanaghs, busy but good service and make the effort to bring decent bands and comedy upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Gonna agree and say Kavanagh's. Someone from there posted their list of events on here a few weeks back, said i'd give it a go. Went in one saturday, spent the whole day there. Good service, good pint, good crowd in for the soccer during the afternoon, yet thankfully they still made sure to put the rugby on one of the screens. Subsequently went to one of the comedy gigs upstairs, after another evening watching the footie downstairs. Great night altogether. Shame I've been walking by it for two years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Gotta agree for the same reasons above, Kavanagh's is a good spot and the staff are very friendly too. It actually feels like a "local" but not in a boring, same crowd every night, kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prettylady

I like ramsbottoms cause it has a good pool room and good bands and its nice to sit in front of the fire. also love sallys but only when its quiet and lockeys at the top of the town.

Ah yeah, the fire in Ramsbottoms is amazing alright, rare for a twon centre pub these days. Have had a few good nights in Sally's also. Never been to Locky's, is it worth a visit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Prettylady

yes i like lockeys, it can be considersed an old man pub but usually has a nice crowd on sats and good bands.

That games room in Ramsbottoms is some job. Had a look on Saturday night, very impressed. Bit cold in there, but sure that can be fixed handily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

The Square Bar seems to be busiest pub in Portlaoise at moment, they have a deadly smoking area with full heating system now in place and good bands there every weekend but Sally's is still a cracker of a pub for the devilment.

TheKid wrote: »
    The Square Bar seems to be busiest pub in Portlaoise at moment, they have a deadly smoking area with full heating system now in place and good bands there every weekend but Sally's is still a cracker of a pub for the devilment.

Not much of a fan of Sally's tbh, every time i go in there it seems to be full of eejits. Square bar is alright, i don't avoid it, but i don't necessarily seek it out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Kenteach wrote: »
    Not much of a fan of Sally's tbh, every time i go in there it seems to be full of eejits. Square bar is alright, i don't avoid it, but i don't necessarily seek it out either.

Well said......including the owner.

Kavanaghs gets my vote. Upstairs is a lovely venue as wel..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ryan's.

No seriously, Ryan's.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Ryan's.

No seriously, Ryan's.

Depends on your, ahem, taste I suppose:)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Kavanagh's by far - PJ's done more to generate a bit of interest in the town through the Comedy club than any other pub in Portlaoise. Upstairs is a class little venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

Kenteach wrote: »
    Sallys is a good pub and I do like it but imo its not to be in late in the night as its gets messy very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

TheKid wrote: »
    Sallys is a good pub and I do like it but imo its not to be in late in the night as its gets messy very quickly.

Exactly, cos of too many eejits:D

Advertisement