Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of The Year - Results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

kryogen wrote: »
    this is a display of very limited football knowledge

WP sir

Doesn't rate John O'Shea = very limited football knowledge ?

Wow. Can you read my tea leaves for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Doesn't rate John O'Shea = very limited football knowledge ?

Wow. Can you read my tea leaves for me?

ew.gif?t=1204847503

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I support United and I don't understand it.
    Can't pass.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't dribble.
    Can't control the ball.
    Slow.
    Awkward.

I am fairly confident that he only stays on the team because Ferguson enjoys the feel of O'Shea's mouth around his . . . that or he puts off the opposition by coming on to them

I wasn't referring to John O Shea in any part of the post you quoted I'm afraid.:)

This thread is amazing though.

Kudos all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Five United players and one ex United player. Okay so.
    Complete joke. You are telling me that Torres and Gerrard who make world team of year dont make team of year. you have to LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Complete joke. You are telling me that Torres and Gerrard who make world team of year dont make team of year. you have to LOL.

Drogba and Rooney have been better for 2009, pretty simple if you actually think about it.

Boggles wrote: »
    Drogba and Rooney have been better for 2009, pretty simple if you actually think about it.
    You can dress that team up whatever way you want but there are two glaring ommissions there IMO. The mind boggles, boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can dress that team up whatever way you want but there are two glaring ommissions there IMO. The mind boggles, boggles.

I'm not dressing anything up.

Gerrard and Torres play up front. Drogba and Rooney play up front. Drogba and Rooney have been better this year.

Again it is very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I completely agree. Anelka and Bellamy should definitely be in there.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I completely agree. Anelka and Bellamy should definitely be in there.
    Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour. happy new year archimedes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That your problem though. Youre too quick to point out where others are wrong instead of offering any opinion of your own, and that's what gets on people's tits around here. Even if someones opinion is blatantly false, Id give them much more credit for providing reasons for why they believe that opinion rather than reading you post some more "No. lol @ u. You're wrong. Fail." shite again. Seriously, consider this constructive criticism or whatever, but your posts are a lot more sensible when you're not trying your bloody hardest to be a royal pain in the f*cking arse.
    These little debates all over threads are pointless with fans of the teams with bigger support bases on here. If I say something which the majority don't agree with then they all jump on you. Debate is pointless most of the time especially when it comes to me putting points across that a Chelsea player out performed a United on, they just won't accept it. They want to be blind and short-sighted I will give them the same attitude back.

This is internet and serious business. See...

original.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour. happy new year archimedes

anelka should be in.

bellamy's had an awesome last 4 months in particular, and is easily a top 8 pick - maybe higher depending on personal preference.

for me though, he is in a bracket just below the best for the year with the likes of Van Persie and Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good team.

True reflection of the best team over 2009 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shay Given, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea and Ronaldo would not be in a non-biased team of the year. Given in fairness would have a shot at it, O'Shea for me would be no.1 if he had been fit all year, Ronaldo hasn't played in the league since May, and Richard Dunne was bloody horrendous from January to May.

The most shocking omission given the bias is this poll is Antonio Valencia. United fans should be ashamed of themselves voting for Ronaldo over the guy who was truly awesome for Wigan last season, and has settled in well at United where he now has 5 goals and 3 assitst in the PL and a couple of goals in the Champion's League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to John O Shea in any part of the post you quoted I'm afraid.:)

This thread is amazing though.

Kudos all.

smug much? i reckon having o shea at RB is contentious enough although i can see why hes there. sagna has been brilliant though and glen johnson has had a great 09 and has pretty much secured his slot in the england starting XI. giggs over arshavin is a tad ridiculous though. im a big giggs fan and am always appreciative of his work but to have him over arshavin is quite short sighted. again, i can see why but i wouldnt be able to justify it.

i dunno, i reckon its a sign of the times with all the new blood on this forum. logic just goes out the window in favour of one-upsmanship and point scoring. shame really

bring back redspider!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Shay Given, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea and Ronaldo would not be in a non-biased team of the year. Given in fairness would have a shot at it, O'Shea for me would be no.1 if he had been fit all year, Ronaldo hasn't played in the league since May, and Richard Dunne was bloody horrendous from January to May.

The most shocking omission given the bias is this poll is Antonio Valencia. United fans should be ashamed of themselves voting for Ronaldo over the guy who was truly awesome for Wigan last season, and has settled in well at United where he now has 5 goals and 3 assitst in the PL and a couple of goals in the Champion's League.
    Majority of United fans would have seen him once maybe twice last year. Thats why he isn't considered and sums up why this was a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good team, thanks to Voltwad for organising this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That your problem though. Youre too quick to point out where others are wrong instead of offering any opinion of your own, and that's what gets on people's tits around here. Even if someones opinion is blatantly false, Id give them much more credit for providing reasons for why they believe that opinion rather than reading you post some more "No. lol @ u. You're wrong. Fail." shite again. Seriously, consider this constructive criticism or whatever, but your posts are a lot more sensible when you're not trying your bloody hardest to be a royal pain in the f*cking arse.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CHD wrote: »
    Majority of United fans would have seen him once maybe twice last year. Thats why he isn't considered and sums up why this was a failure.

Only 1 person voted for Valencia - so is it shame on EVERYONE, including you, then (eagle eye apparently omitted cause he did vote for Valencia) for their failure to recognise Valencia?

Only 1 person voted for Valencia - so is it shame on EVERYONE, including you, then (eagle eye apparently omitted cause he did vote for Valencia) for their failure to recognise Valencia?
    I didn't vote in that thread, missed it. Would have been him or Lennon.

SlickRic wrote: »
    anelka should be in.

bellamy's had an awesome last 4 months in particular, and is easily a top 8 pick - maybe higher depending on personal preference.

for me though, he is in a bracket just below the best for the year with the likes of Van Persie and Defoe.
    You cant put Anelka in and leave Drogba out for a start. Drogba is one of the first names on that list.

• Advertisement

You cant put Anelka in and leave Drogba out for a start. Drogba is one of the first names on that list.

Anelka was as good at the beginning of last year as Drogba was at the end.

and Anelka was playing with an uninterested, stropping Drogba for much of the start of 2009.

and Anelka was the top scorer for the 08/09 season.

so i can quite justifiably leave drogba out and put anelka in thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dunne's inclusion is a joke and Ronaldo's an insult to those players still in the premiership after June.

he did more in that time then any other player in his position did in past year lets be frank.

he did more in that time then any other player in his position did in past year lets be frank.
    He didn't play there though. He played up front didn't he?

Jazzy wrote: »
    smug much? i reckon having o shea at RB is contentious enough although i can see why hes there. sagna has been brilliant though and glen johnson has had a great 09 and has pretty much secured his slot in the england starting XI. giggs over arshavin is a tad ridiculous though. im a big giggs fan and am always appreciative of his work but to have him over arshavin is quite short sighted. again, i can see why but i wouldnt be able to justify it.

i dunno, i reckon its a sign of the times with all the new blood on this forum. logic just goes out the window in favour of one-upsmanship and point scoring. shame really

bring back redspider!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63766987&postcount=622

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63766475&postcount=570

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63766230&postcount=555

At what stage does berating someone repeatedly about point scoring become point scoring in itself, I wonder Jazzy me aul flower?;)

Thanks be to God I like you and enjoy your posts: I'm deeply flattered at the attention a man of your calibre has been showing me.:pac:

Any way of proving this or is it just a wild generalisation?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Any way of proving this or is it just a wild generalisation?
    Yeah I can prove it. Look at the polls and voting. You will make the connection yourself if you look hard enough.

Yeah I can prove it. Look at the polls and voting. You will make the connection yourself if you look hard enough.

LOL. Gotta love the bauld CHD.:pac:

what about everyone else who didn't vote for him, eh? He did only get one vote, so no Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle etc fans voted for him either - only a Blackburn fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How much Valencia did people really see last year, live, to make such condenscending comments?

what about everyone else who didn't vote for him, eh? He did only get one vote, so no Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle etc fans voted for him either - only a Blackburn fan.
    Dont be silly those clubs don't actually have supporters.

• Advertisement

Dont be silly those fans don't actually have supporters.

what?

what?
    what?

Dont be silly those fans don't actually have supporters.

Fans generally dont have supporters.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Thanks to all who voted. Below is the team of the year. I'd like to open the floor to discussion and of course people may submit what they feel would be a better alternative to the team of the year 2009 :)

GK - Shay Given
    Given's move to Manchester City in January gave him a chance to play in a team looking to win trophies in the near future. Their form improved during the second half of the season. This season so far he has kept up his good form and ha contributed to City's current 5th place position in the league. His position in the team was somewhat disputed with many posters citing Irish bias as the main reason.

LB - Patrice Evra
    United's French flyer. Ever pivotal to their assists tally and not half bad at defending either. The 28 year old won a close race against Ashey Cole for this position but the majority can back up their claims with his inclusion in the FIFA World XI of the year as well.

CB - Nemanja Vidic & Richard Dunne
    Controversy wasn't far away from this result either but Richard Dunne's first half of this season was deemed enough by the majority to give him a spot on the team. He has been instrumental for Aston Villa so far this season and has been deadly attacking corners. Valued for his aggressive, no-nonsense style defending, he was crucial to United's retention of the Premier League last season.

RB - John O'Shea
    In the past he has been called a Jack of all trades and a master of none but he seems to have finally cemented his place in SAF's thoughts. You'd be hard pushed to find a more solid full back and he just pipped Arsenal's Bacary Sagna to the RB spot. This season he was made captain for the first time and although he is injured at the moment he can look back on what was a very succesful year.

LM - Ryan Giggs
    The evergreen Welshman is still going strong in the eyes of the electorate. He comfortably claimed a place on the team of the year for this position.He has stepped up to the plate since the departure of Ronaldo, scoring free kicks against Spurs and Portsmouth already this season.

CM - Cesc Fabregas & Michael Essien
    Fabregas notched up the biggest majority that these polls had and stormed on to claim a place on the team. He is already up there with one of the best in the world and seems to get better and better. In 2009 his eye for goal developed and has hit 10 already this season. He is partnered by Chelsea's Michael Essien who won plaudits for his sheer energy and influence in the middle of the park.

RM
    - Cristiano Ronaldo
    Despite his record breaking move to Real Madrid in the summer, Ronaldo makes the cut. His match winning abilities are clearly missed by his old side at the moment. In the second half of last season alone he pitched in with 11 goals. This result was another that was criticized given that he only played in the league for half a season.

CF - Didier Drogba & Wayne Rooney
    Both have been outstanding for their respective clubs but were run close by Liverpool's Fernando Torres. Drogba hit 18 goals last year but also helped his team with 9 assists. Rooney's stats show him to be the player with the most goals for the calendar year, weighing in with 22 goals. As an Everton fan it pains me to say he is a world beater but at times he seems to be carrying United on his own. Drogba is also a nightmare for any defender to play against. Would these two together represent the ideal deadly pairing?

Thanks again to all who contributed and lets hope we see an even more competitive poll next year :)
    So ronaldo gets in having only played for half the year. Something wrong there

And Drogba was terrible last season, but he runs away with it due to his form this season. Dunne was poor last season, runs away with it based on this seasons performances.

what?
    Archimedes wrote:
    Fans generally dont have supporters.

I don't know what you guys are up too but it won't work.

you f'd up. admit it.

Internet soccer fans in biased voting in boards poll shocker.:eek:

And Drogba was terrible last season, but he runs away with it due to his form this season. Dunne was poor last season, runs away with it based on this seasons performances.
    I would put Drogba in due to the fact that none of chelsea players performed well under scolari. But yes you have to wonder about a rational that punishes Gerrard for being poor in second half of year but yet includes Ronaldo for not being involved at all.

• Advertisement

I would put Drogba in due to the fact that none of chelsea players performed well under scolari. But yes you have to wonder about a rational that punishes Gerrard for being poor in second half of year but yet includes Ronaldo for not being involved at all.

There was no standout competition for Ronaldo on the right, whereas gerrard had outstanding competetion from Essien and Fabregas, simples.

I still think Gerrard had no business being included in the centre midfield vote anyway, he should've been in with the forwards.

Could be down to a lack of top performers. (didn't vote for Ronaldo myself, think I went for Pienarr).

But I felt Valencia was average last season, and has only been 'great' in the odd game this season. I do think Lennon has been very good at times this season, but wasn't as good last season. Not sure who else should be up there to be honest.

the dunne inclusion and anelka landslide loss are the only real problems with the team.

some of the rest i could argue; players like ronaldo, giggs, o'shea etc are a little contentious, but they are at least arguable in terms of why they're there; so there's no point in another heated debate on them really.

the team, in general, is ok, and represents these boards. whether people like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Easy which do you remember best its human nature to look at Gerrards more recent form and be like meh or people can look back and only remember Ronaldos goal against Porto etc they have no memories of Ronaldo playing badly but they do have memories which are much fresher about Gerrard.

I'm not saying it's right but it's the way it is

you f'd up. admit it.
    You guys are obviously planning to make me look crazy. Won't work. Can you nswer my question in United thread about pressure please!

Nice ninja edit. But you still messed up there mate ;)

• Advertisement

can someone bring up thread which contains right midfield category?

You guys are obviously planning to make me look crazy. Won't work.

Trust me, you dont need our help to look crazy.

Trust me, you dont need our help to look crazy.
    There you go again Archimedes. back on the ignore list.

There you go again Archimedes. back on the ignore list.

why do you feel the need to tell us all that?

and what is with some people's petty digs?

the first day back at work been a bit sh*t???

;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    why do you feel the need to tell us all that?

and what is with some people's petty digs?

the first day back at work been a bit sh*t???

;)
    Better ask him that

• Advertisement
Advertisement