Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice for my dream course?!?!?!?

Options
  • 03-01-2010 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi leaving cert student here doing 4 honour courses including biology,art,english and history and 3 pass subjects those are irish ,maths, and french.

Anyways I realy hope to get the Psychology course in u.l which I ve great amount of interest in and im applying through the h.e.a.r scheme which i am def appliciable for I ve been told due to background,med card and financial troubles .

So hitting reality here can I actually achieve to get this course or am I better off just giving up and settling for something less?

so any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Well those in my year who wanted to do psychology but were unlikely to get the points required or were like you concerned were told by our guidance teacher to look at this course:
    http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/SchoolsCourses/SchoolofCreativeTechnologies/BScHonoursinAppliedPsychology/#d.en.113

Apparently it is accredited with the proper organisation and that and is about 200 points lower than most psychology courses (in Dublin anyway).

It is however in Dublin, the Dun Laoghaire Institute to be exact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

or you can try to get in after your 1st year of arts in Galway or Maynooth, that is if it isnt that uni specifically that you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

hoothoot wrote: »
    Hi leaving cert student here doing 4 honour courses including biology,art,english and history and 3 pass subjects those are irish ,maths, and french.

Anyways I realy hope to get the Psychology course in u.l which I ve great amount of interest in and im applying through the h.e.a.r scheme which i am def appliciable for I ve been told due to background,med card and financial troubles .

So hitting reality here can I actually achieve to get this course or am I better off just giving up and settling for something less?

so any advice??

i did my leaving in 2009 and my only regret was not studying hard enough because i didnt get the course i wanted, you shouldnt give up if this is the course you really want study like mad for the next few months and it will all be worth it when and if you get your course. but do not give up just study hard and goodluck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If psychology is what you want to do, go for it. But make sure you know exactly what it entails. The Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI), www.psihq.ie, is a good place to see how long you'll have to study to become a psychologist in a particular field, and where it can be done.

You should also check out which courses are accredited by the PSI here.

Psychology doesn't always turn out to be what people expect it to be at third level, so if you should make sure to speak to someone about what it realistically entails. I'm studying Psychology at the moment, though not in UL. Feel free to PM me about it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

dambarude wrote: »

Psychology doesn't always turn out to be what people expect it to be at third level, so if you should make sure to speak to someone about what it realistically entails. I'm studying Psychology at the moment, though not in UL. Feel free to PM me about it if you like.

Seriously look into it! Loads of people don't know what it actually entails at all, there's another thread on the first page with someone in the same boat. IADT is a pretty good uni for the arts, I'm not too sure about psychology. But go for it, make sure it's recognised etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sorry to go off topic, but

I want to do Law, if I don't get the points in Cork, 480 last year, and I probably won't get that, I'll be doing Arts, hopefully, is it possible to get into Law from Arts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Sorry to go off topic, but

I want to do Law, if I don't get the points in Cork, 480 last year, and I probably won't get that, I'll be doing Arts, hopefully, is it possible to get into Law from Arts?

Well AFAIK you don't need to have done a law degree to take the Blackhall entrance exams. I know people who have taken them after doing Arts- it'd be very difficult though. I'm open to correction.

Advertisement