Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT disgraceful

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

astrofool wrote: »
    If you want a high polluting car, then you have to be prepared to pay for it. The argument could be that the lowest polluting cars have 0% VRT, and increase it at the high end even more (or get the manufacturer to pay the cost directly, bumping up the sale price).

But this person sees money as the obstacle to getting his high polluting car, the tax has worked.

I disagree, bigger engine size cars are made to specification, the customer cannot demand a custom built car to their exact engine needs because it would cost a lot more. The cars you mention are generally upmarket/luxury cars and the goverment is shooting itself in the foot by punishing these, as the tax revenue margins are higher for these caars because of the higher asking prices. I think it should be left up to the customer to decide what car they want, not John Gormley or Brian Lenihan. The Government is only taxing itself deeper into recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why does OP think he should be allowed have his car for 12 to 15k cheaper than everyone else? Does the OP realise that EVERY car on the road here (except the odd exemption) has had vrt paid on it. If he was to buy his focus RS new here, he would have paid alot more vrt than he is now being quoted. That would be fine though simply because its not pointed out when buying a car for say 40k that x amount is vrt.
    Everyone pays whether buying new, secondhand or importiing. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Can't sympathise with you at all OP.

The VRT enquiry system is there so people can check before they buy, which you didn't do. Yes its a rip off but you can't blame the government for your lack of research.

You do realise the tax will be €2k p.a also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

B00MSTICK wrote: »

The VRT enquiry system is there so people can check before they buy, which you didn't do. Yes its a rip off but you can't blame the government for your lack of research.

He has obviously researched it, or he wouldn't have posted his findings and moaned about the situation:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Skopzz wrote: »
    I disagree, bigger engine size cars are made to specification, the customer cannot demand a custom built car to their exact engine needs because it would cost a lot more. The cars you mention are generally upmarket/luxury cars and the goverment is shooting itself in the foot by punishing these, as the tax revenue margins are higher for these caars because of the higher asking prices. I think it should be left up to the customer to decide what car they want, not John Gormley or Brian Lenihan. The Government is only taxing itself deeper into recession.

You can have big gigantic engines, as long as they are fuel efficient. BMW have been very good at doing this.

The environmental cost of all cars should be built into their price, VRT does that to a small extent (in a very ham fisted way).

If it weren't for governments protecting their car industries (see Germany and France), this would have already happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The new vrt and c02 road tax based system is another tax for the poor.

I would like to own a new car with low emissions and pay small road tax but my 10 year old car has road tax based on engine size so is twice as high as a new car with same engine size but lower emissions.
    Gormley and his comrades are dicks.
    **** this poxy little **** of a country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

mcwhirter wrote: »

I would like to own a new car with low emissions and pay small road tax but my 10 year old car has road tax based on engine size so is twice as high as a new car with same engine size but lower emissions.

Thats what people get for voting Fianna Fail into power, FF will pick the worst political party to go into coalition with. Expect more of these eco freako taxes to come.

Maybe if Lisbon 2 was defeated, we might have seen FF and the Greeens given the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mcwhirter wrote: »

What are the emissions on your 10 year old car? My 10 year old car would be €2000 a year to tax if it was backwards applied, it's €582 now. I'm perfectly happy to have a "tax for the poor". Funnily enough it's keeping me from being even poorer.

As for avoidign VRT , if your normally resident in Ireland, you pay VRT, end of. Thems are the rules .It's not legally avoidable and customs will take the car if they stop you (or fo the pedantic among you, they may give youi a timeframe to pay, but either way they wont just tell you to carry on). It's also not illegal, no matter who tells you otherwise and spouts rubbish about the EU fineing Ireland every year for it and/or being in the process of takign Ireland to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Stekelly wrote: »
    What are the emissions on your 10 year old car? My 10 year old car would be €2000 a year to tax if it was backwards applied, it's €582 now. I'm perfectly happy to have a "tax for the poor". Funnily enough it's keeping me from being even poorer.

As for avoidign VRT , if your normally resident in Ireland, you pay VRT, end of. Thems are the rules .It's not legally avoidable and customs will take the car if they stop you (or fo the pedantic among you, they may give youi a timeframe to pay, but either way they wont just tell you to carry on). It's also not illegal, no matter who tells you otherwise and spouts rubbish about the EU fineing Ireland every year for it and/or being in the process of takign Ireland to court.

Yes, the emissions on my OLD car would cost over 1000 euros on the emission based system, but my car emits the same as a much bigger engine now and when my car was made in 2000 emissions based tax wasn't used then so manufacturers did not have to reduce the emissions.

Why should I be taxed more when I cannot afford a newer car.
    I also imported a car from britain with emissions of 168 but I have to pay the annual car tax on the engine size which is 640 euros approx while if it was on emissions it would be about 440 euros.
    My argument is, that I would like to avail of the new emission based car tax but I cannot afford it.
    Its a bit like the public sector high paid only getting a reduction of 3%
    while the lower paid get a much higher reduction, this country is a corrupt small minded mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

astrofool wrote: »
    If you want a high polluting car, then you have to be prepared to pay for it. The argument could be that the lowest polluting cars have 0% VRT, and increase it at the high end even more (or get the manufacturer to pay the cost directly, bumping up the sale price).

But this person sees money as the obstacle to getting his high polluting car, the tax has worked.

I get frustrated by this nonsense about "high polluting" cars. All cars pollute equally until they are driven. Charging tax based on cars potential to pollute is just silly.

My friend drives a Toyota Prius, a so called green car. Each year her car produces substantially more CO2 than my car, because she drives thousands of kilometres more than I do in my so called “high polluting” car.

Motor tax should be based on usage rather than potential to pollute.

The tax is not a begrudgery tax, even though some people think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

You would want to be careful you don't get hit for VAT as welk.

if the car is less than six months old when you bought it ( not when you brought it in) or has less than 6000km you will get hit for VAT as well!!!!

Revenue tried that one on me last year but I beat them at their own game.
    colm88 wrote: »
    jor el wrote: »
    VRT is calculated as a percentage of the vehicle value, and varies by CO2 emissions. The rates are between 14 and 36%. If the value of the car is high, and/or the CO2 emissions are high, then the VRT will be high. How is it wrong or illegal to apply tax?

(If it's too much to pay, don't buy the car) = Eh Its not the car thats expensive is it ?

(How is it wrong or illegal to apply tax? ) = We are already taxed on our earnings road tax and vat on goods and services.

VRT is very wrong there can be no justification in charging such extortionate fees to register a vehicle. The effect of VRT implemented by the 1992 Finance Act circumvented an EU prohibition on customs duty. Customs duty on vehicles disappeared on the 31st December 1992 and the following day a new tax called VRT replaced it. This was brought about by the action of the people we voted for, our Oireachtas and effectively overrode EU law. This it cannot do because EU law is supreme in terms of community matters and in the promotion of free movement of goods, fundamental freedoms under the Treaty of Rome and the implementation of the Single European Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

randomer wrote: »
    I get frustrated by this nonsense about "high polluting" cars. All cars pollute equally until they are driven. Charging tax based on cars potential to pollute is just silly.

My friend drives a Toyota Prius, a so called green car. Each year her car produces substantially more CO2 than my car, because she drives thousands of kilometres more than I do in my so called “high polluting” car.

Motor tax should be based on usage rather than potential to pollute.

The tax is not a begrudgery tax, even though some people think it is.

While, ideally, the cost would go onto the fuel used, unless this was done EU wide, there would be too much of a discrepency, and lead to cross border problems, leaving Irish tax receipts in freefall.

It also has knock on implications for other areas of transport, that currently have low VRT rates, but we rely on to exist (trucks).

Also, while all cars can pollute equally, people have a set amount that they drive each year, by having a tax on the purchase price, the buyer is less likely to buy the more polluting car, people are more willing to take ongoing costs (fuel) on the chin, the net result being that our car fleet ends up being more polluting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colm88

B00MSTICK wrote: »

IF YOU READ MY OP YOU WILL SEE I DIDNT BUY THE CAR. I DECIDED NOT TO BUY THE CAR AFTER USING THE VRT ENQUIRY SYSTEM AND REALISING THE EXCESSIVE RIP-OFF PRICE I WOULD OF "HAD" TO PAY. IF YOU READ MY ORIGINAL POST PROPERLY BEFORE SPOUTING RUBBISH OUT OF YOUR MOUTH YOU,LL CLEARLY SEE THAT I DO NOT BLAME THE GOVERNMENT FOR A LACK OF RESEARCH ON MY BEHALF, MY POST IS SIMPLY EXPRESSING MY ASTONISHMENT AT THE RIP OFF AND EXCESSIVE COST OF VRT IN THIS COUNTRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

That's what happens when you live in a second rate country. I was born and raised here, but once you've lived abroad, you realise how pathetic most things in this country really are. I spent five years living in Belfast and then Birmingham as well as a year in Germany and had some pretty decent cars which would have been just out of my price range down south.
    Unfortunately, the only options I know about are paying or emigrating. :( It's unpleasent, but seems to be as simple as that. VRT is a form of extortion and it's introduction had nothing to do with saving the planet.:rolleyes: It was simply a money making excercise. Heading back to England later in the year and have my eyes on a new Cupra R and I get to keep an extra ten thousand in my pocket that revenue won't get their dirty paws on.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Just a thought: If VRT in not an import duty why are Customs Officers policing it? Should it not be Revinue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Twin-go wrote: »
    Just a thought: If VRT in not an import duty why are Customs Officers policing it? Should it not be Revinue?

see post 23.

Advertisement