Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i entitled to an extension on my council house

• 03-01-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi im a single mother i have a small 2 bed house just me and my 3 year old son im 3 months pregnant on my second child and my partner stays with us 3 nights a week my sons room is 6 x 8 its tiny and bairly any room to move my room is a small bit bigger i really dont want to move as i have been here in this local authority house for 6 months and it took me 6 years to get one where i wanted to live i have heard of a few people in this housing estate who have gotten extensions on there L A houses would does anyone think i am intitled to an extension and how would i go about it i live in wexford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Do you mean can you get the tax payer to pay for it, or do you mean are you allowed add an extension to a council house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

we could take a few more quid off the blind and build you one.

Contact your local county council and see what they say,

I know people who foster kids the goverment pay for extension's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd say no. Ask them for a bigger premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you looking for permission to build one? You will need to clear that with the housing department in your council. But it's a lean time for builders and you can probably work a deal.

Are are you looking for the council to pay? Again, it might be possible. I know the council adapt houses for elderly residents. But certainly no entitlement.

They may well decide to transfer you to a larger house instead. Probably the easiest solution if they have somewhere available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

completely off topic and might get me banned, but, is it for any particular reason that your boyfriend doesn't stay the 4th night? Anything to do with you becoming a cohabiting couple and losing benefits? You have a FREE house at a time when many hardworking people are having to give up their homes because they've lost jobs. Be happy and very thankful for what you have. If you want an extension, then buy a house like the rest of us. Your sense of entitlement makes me very angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

nikkir359 wrote: »
    hi im a single mother i have a small 2 bed house just me and my 3 year old son im 3 months pregnant on my second child and my partner stays with us 3 nights a week my sons room is 6 x 8 its tiny and bairly any room to move my room is a small bit bigger i really dont want to move as i have been here in this local authority house for 6 months and it took me 6 years to get one where i wanted to live i have heard of a few people in this housing estate who have gotten extensions on there L A houses would does anyone think i am intitled to an extension and how would i go about it i live in wexford

Problem sorted... get your partner to sort you out, not the tax payer... "Am I entitled?", the cheek of some people...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- there is no need to be so abusive towards the OP. As you are all aware- the main rule I exercise moderating this forum is to advise people to refute the posts they disagree with- without attacking the poster. Please keep this in mind- if you wish to continue posting in this forum......

Original Poster- I am moving your thread to the State Benefits forum- where you may get more pertinent information to your particular situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

djk1000 wrote: »
    completely off topic and might get me banned, but, is it for any particular reason that your boyfriend doesn't stay the 4th night? Anything to do with you becoming a cohabiting couple and losing benefits? You have a FREE house at a time when many hardworking people are having to give up their homes because they've lost jobs. Be happy and very thankful for what you have. If you want an extension, then buy a house like the rest of us. Your sense of entitlement makes me very angry.
    This is clearly what is going on. Makes me ****ing sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nikkir359

you are all entitled to your own opinion in would you please consider that i have been working since i left school but had to leave as my child has an on going illness and plus my partner only stays 3 nights a week because he lives over 200 miles away and is at present a part time carer for his grandfather so some people do genuinely need this and are not trying to cheat the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But if you're looking for help can you provide more information?

Are you looking for planning permission to build an extension that you will pay for?
    Or are you looking for the council to build it for you and then the council pays the bill? Maybe your neighbors own their former local authority homes and built their own extension.
    and it took me 6 years to get one where i wanted to live

Maybe the best option is to ask the council for a transfer to a larger house. They must have a selection of options if tenants seem to be able to pick and choose the areas they desire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

how can you be on a list that long if your kid is only 3.i just always thought L A housing was a scheme for people on benefits like UA or lone parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You should ask the Area Housing Officer of Wexford County Council. When times were good, some Councils would, in situations where there was overcrowding, consider extensions to detached, semi-detached and end-of-terraced housing but never to mid terrace houses and never attic conversions. To apply you would have to be up to date with your rental payments. However, funds are very tight everywhere now and the situation might be different. I doubt very much that they will consider the accommodation needs of your partner unless he financially qualifies to be in local authority housing too and if he does is cohabiting with you full time and paying the appropriate portion of his earnings in rent to the Council. But they would consider the needs of your expected baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

well, if wexford are anything like wicklow council you will be told no and to apply for a bigger house, or as they told a neighbour of ours come back when one of the kids hit puberty. not trying to be smart but most councils will only build on to there houses now if someone living in them is disabled ir the house is seriously overcrowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

djk1000 wrote: »

It is for a particular reason that the OP's partner doesn't stay a fourth night as the OP has already outlined. I love the way some people jump to these sort of negative and baseless assumptions just because a person is living in council housing, which is not "FREE" either, by the way, since council tenants pay rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

this isnt an answer to your problem, but might be a help - i got a high sleeper for my daughter, she was in a box of a room, and it gave her much more space. It's basically a bunkbed, with just the top bunk. Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your best hope is to get pregnant again by him or else hope the child you are pregnant with is a female. Either way having another child will get you up the list and ahead of those single mothers with only two kids. If you were lucky enough to have twins you would get even higher up the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

yabadabado wrote: »
    how can you be on a list that long if your kid is only 3.i just always thought L A housing was a scheme for people on benefits like UA or lone parents?

Anybody can apply for a council house and be assessed to see if they are entitled to one. You just have to be earning under a certain income. A couple can apply for a council house also. You can be working as much as you like. In DCC I think it's €15 for every €100 you earn p/w and then every other adult pays 15% of their weekly wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Irrespective of whether your partner lives with you for 3 days or not, in 6 months time your current house is going to be too small for you and the kids.
    At this stage you've got two options.
    1. Ask the council for permission to build on an extension on your own expense.
    2. Ask to be moved to a bigger house in the same area.

The 3rd option, getting them to build the extension on the house wouldn't be feasible due to every council in the country being broke from buying grit for the road and 30kph roadsigns and the fact that it takes them so long to build anything.

Definitely go to the council housing officer and explain the situation to him.
    and just ignore the posters here who are getting their exercise by climbing up on their high horse and jumping to conclusions :)
    And good luck with the new babby :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement