Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental markdown?

Options
  • 03-01-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm considering moving from my current flat, its cold and mildewy. I'm hoping to find a modernish apartment with 2 doubles within Dublin 2, 4, 6 or 8 for max €1000 p/m.

Is it wishful thinking?

What reduction on asking prices are people getting?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

I'm considering moving from my current flat, its cold and mildewy. I'm hoping to find a modernish apartment with 2 doubles within Dublin 2, 4, 6 or 8 for max €1000 p/m.

Is it wishful thinking?

Im looking too. My strategy is (or will be if I ever find anywhere in this effing city worth living) to find out how much the price has already dropped by comparing the same property on multiple sites and using google cache. I then intend to try beat the agent over the head with the fact they have been unable to fill the space for x months, and try get them to knock at 50-100 off the rent. But like I said, I haven't actually put this into practice yet. TBH I suspect Dublin has bottomed out and agents not to be receptive to dealing. You should eventually find something for 1k, but I doubt it will be really plush.

Anyone had any success greasing the wheels with agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

http://www.myhome.ie/lettings/brochure/chandlers-guild-james-s-street-dublin-8/184977
    is a two-bed in D8 for E1000. Living area small so might be able to get a discount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For a thousand a month- it really shouldn't be wishful thinking. Keep an eye on the usual suspects (Daft etc) and if you're willing to sign a longer lease- normally you'll get a lower rent. Point to note- especially in the current cold snap- make sure the place has a reasonable BER score on its cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paola09

Is it wishful thinking?

Hi
    We are actually viewing apartments at the moment so far we have been able to talk the rent down 100 eur for all the places we saw...
    Good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

paola09 wrote: »
    Hi
    We are actually viewing apartments at the moment so far we have been able to talk the rent down 100 eur for all the places we saw...
    Good luck

From what kind of starting point? Am looking too and would be interested to see what percentage people are getting off listed prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

I went to view a place last night, the agent dropped the price from €1000 to €900 when I simply asked was the rent negotiable. I quite liked the place. I'm thinking of offering €850 and seeing do they accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Nobrow wrote: »
    Im looking too. My strategy is (or will be if I ever find anywhere in this effing city worth living) to find out how much the price has already dropped by comparing the same property on multiple sites and using google cache. I then intend to try beat the agent over the head with the fact they have been unable to fill the space for x months, and try get them to knock at 50-100 off the rent. But like I said, I haven't actually put this into practice yet. TBH I suspect Dublin has bottomed out and agents not to be receptive to dealing. You should eventually find something for 1k, but I doubt it will be really plush.

Anyone had any success greasing the wheels with agents?

Save yourself the hassle of google Cache and just use Irish property Watch. http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/

It takes a snapshot of daft rentals each day so you can see the prices and how long they have been available.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Friends were paying €1300 for a good sized 2 dbl bed place in ranelagh, contract came up for renewal in July and they asked landlord for a reduction (without naming a figure) and he went to €1000. That was July, so courage! It's doable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I hope you don't mind me asking but where in Ranelagh? PM me if you don't want to say in public. Tks.

Advertisement