Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay Purchase

• 03-01-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi...Im wondering if anyone has had any issue buying from ebay regarding tax?
    I was going to buy a Nikon D3000 DSLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR +55-200mm VR Lens in the city centre but the best overall price i would find was €700+. I did however find the camera from a shop on ebay for €545 + postage(€25). So im thinking is it safe to buy from the ebay shop and not have to worry about tax?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

take the gamble if you wish...but you may have to pay customs tax. It's not "getting caught", you're obliged to pay it on certain imported goods over a certain value from outside the EU.

Also, consider a bricks-and-mortar store for a copule of reasons, advice, easier returns if there is a problem etc. Take the chance if you wish, but you have been warned! Saying that, even with the duty paid, it may still work out cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Hi...Im wondering if anyone has had any issue buying from ebay regarding tax?
    I was going to buy a Nikon D3000 DSLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR +55-200mm VR Lens in the city centre but the best overall price i would find was €700+. I did however find the camera from a shop on ebay for €545 + postage(€25). So im thinking is it safe to buy from the ebay shop and not have to worry about tax?

It all depends on where the seller is based. If in the EU you dont have to worry but if they are outside the EU ..chances are you will have to pay VAT and Excise Duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

shop is based in the UK..cardiff. So that should be ok? yes?!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

shop is based in the UK..cardiff. So that should be ok? yes?!! :confused:

yep,no VAT or duty due...you've already paid it. Good priced btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

its not much more than 600 for the d5000 from argos now i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You'll be grand for tax from the UK. They seem to have gotten much tighter with goods coming from outside the EU and little gets in now without a big tax bill. Anyone know how they work out the tax charge or if it can be challenged? I got taxed about 35% on something a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just make sure you buy from a very reliable ebay trader. Also, some ebay stores claim to ship from the UK, while they actually ship from Hong Kong. Then you would be liable for VAT and duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

foto joe wrote: »
    Anyone know how they work out the tax charge or if it can be challenged?

I don't believe it can be challenged at all.

Read this thread for more info (although the rates may have changed slightly)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55183926&postcount=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

On ebay I have regularly seen the following:
    - items listed as being in the UK, but shipped from elsewhere (e.g. Hong Kong). Read through the sellers feedback history. People will often leave positive feedback with comments like "fast shipping from Hong kong".
    - items listed as new, but burried in the description the fact that it's reconditioned/refurbished etc. Beware of ads which have pages & pages of info. Most of it is copy and paste but you need to read it through to see if they're trying to hide some relevant info.

• Advertisement

Seller looks good...
    109144 eBay trades - wow :eek:
    99.7% Positive Feedback - very impressive
    UK Based - no worries with tax
    £19.99 shipping - sounds fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

ianflynn wrote: »
    its not much more than 600 for the d5000 from argos now i think...

but not with a 200mm lense too

yep...just recieved a mail from the shop to say he has a warehouse in the UK and there will be no tax...he seems to have excellent feedback on his ebay site...and to be honest the price for the hardware im looking to buy is amazing. although i would prefer to buy in the city centre i just cant get the same deal. closest i came was €509 for the camera and €215 for the 55-200 lens..and that was without a memory card!

..and that was without a memory card!

The cost of a memory card is almost negligible now when buying a camera - they've got very cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dakooo

Hey where did you see the camera for 500 E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

foto joe wrote: »
    The cost of a memory card is almost negligible now when buying a camera - they've got very cheap!

or www.memoryc.ie

Good prices on lens, they have my next lens, the 24-105 F4L it looks sooo secky !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fififofum

You can buy the D3000 in Pixels for €549 but it only includes the 18-55 lens. They do have a 30 euro cash back deal and a half day's training thrown in too. Here's a link: http://www.pixels.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67&products_id=705

Just wondering, i see on that ebay ad (presume this is the advert you're talking about) that the lenses provided aren't Nikon/Nikkor lenses. They are, from what i can make, out by a company called 'Digital' something or other. Is this why this price is so good? :confused:

fififofum wrote: »
    You can buy the D3000 in Pixels for €549 but it only includes the 18-55 lens. They do have a 30 euro cash back deal and a half day's training thrown in too. Here's a link: http://www.pixels.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67&products_id=705

You can get the D3000 with 18-55mm for €429 + €13.90 shipping on Pixmania.

fififofum wrote: »
    Just wondering, i see on that ebay ad (presume this is the advert you're talking about) that the lenses provided aren't Nikon/Nikkor lenses. They are, from what i can make, out by a company called 'Digital' something or other. Is this why this price is so good? :confused:

That's just the extra adapter lenses... I can't imagine they're up to much to be honest. The 18-55mm is a Nikkor lens alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fififofum

My apologies, i got the wrong advert. I think he means this one

Looks like a great deal actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

This looks good - shop has lots of +ve feedback, ships from UK so no VAT or duty, price is fair, they accept Paypal.

I've bought all my gear (mostly lightly-used secondhand) on eBay & my experience has been very positive. I've saved about 35% (ie about eu1000) compared to buying in local camera shops. I would prefer to buy locally & would pay say a 10% premium to do so - but could not justify a 35% difference!

• Advertisement

thanks for the feedback guy's..i did like the look of the ebay shop but i ended up buying from a shop in dublin..I had a chat with a friend of mine(photographer) who suggested i buy canon so i bought the 500d..paid €705..im just fiddling about trying to remember what all the buttons do. I look forward to posting my first pic!
    thanks again for the help!

Advertisement