Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would be interested in joining a bookclub?

Options
  • 03-01-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Since there aren't any bookclubs and few oppurtunities to meet new people in Kerry, I'd like to set up a bookclub. If anyone is interested send me a private message or post on the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

As far as I know there are some book clubs in Kerry. There was one in Killorglin that met on Saturay morning and I think there is one in Killarney. Check your local library and they should have details.

Or are you interested in setting up one independently??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

Yes I am interested in setting up one independantly. I checked the libraries a long time ago and a few of them had some sort of bookclubs with meetings on weekdays which wouldn't suit people that are working during the week and I don't know anyone who'd like to spend Saturday morning in a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What part of Kerry are you thinking of having this in? I'm stuck in Tralee and would love to get involved in something like this.

Well it would be in Tralee or close to it. I have to find at least five people that would be interested to get the ball rolling though. Hopefully it would grow from that.

Sabrielle wrote: »
    Well it would be in Tralee or close to it. I have to find at least five people that would be interested to get the ball rolling though. Hopefully it would grow from that.
    Well you've got 2 already so we're nearly half way there :). I'll ask around in work tomorrow to see if anyone's interested and I'll stick a link in the Tralee thread on here as well to see if there are any takers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

How does this work?

Well for now its just an idea. I was thinking it would be a good idea if meeting would be held at a different restaurant each month at first. People would pay for their own meals but it would be a nice evening out and an oppurtunity to meet new people. I just think the library setting for a bookclub is very stuffy. I haven't organised anything like this before so if anyone is more informed please speak up.

Here is a link to the book club that runs in Galway city. I wasn't a part of it as I missed the first few meetings and then promptly forgot about it but maybe there are some ideas we can take or posters we can ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KenmareGirl

Hey guys, sounds like a good idea, tried to locate one myself in the past to no avail! Count me in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

"Bookclub" right i get ya ;) How many would you be looking for these sessions, would men and women be involved at the same time?

• Advertisement

aDeener wrote: »
    "Bookclub" right i get ya ;) How many would you be looking for these sessions, would men and women be involved at the same time?
    Considering it hasn't started yet we would need as many people as possible and yes, both men and women are welcome.

Malice_ wrote: »
    Considering it hasn't started yet we would need as many people as possible and yes, both men and women are welcome.

And would the 'equipment' be provided, or do we bring our own?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Can we keep this a serious thread for people who are genuinely interested please! Less wise cracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

I'd defintioely be interested in a book club. Was a member of one in North Cork before I moved to Tralee, it was a library one and whilst I enjoyed it and it got me reading books I might not normally have read it was all women and I'd have loved to have a man's perspective on the books. So if this gets off the ground contact me please.

Caros wrote: »
    I'd defintioely be interested in a book club. Was a member of one in North Cork before I moved to Tralee, it was a library one and whilst I enjoyed it and it got me reading books I might not normally have read it was all women and I'd have loved to have a man's perspective on the books. So if this gets off the ground contact me please.
    Well, it won't get off the ground unless you take part :).

So far we have myself, Caros, KenmareGirl and Sabrielle definitely interested.

How about aDeener, carchaeologist and inexile? Are you guys (or girls) interested as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

Hey im interested in joining aswell. How bout a meet up to organise it?

crazzzzy wrote: »
    Hey im interested in joining aswell. How bout a meet up to organise it?
    That sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go and when to meet?

I need to find out what exactly this "club" entails, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.....

aDeener wrote: »
    I need to find out what exactly this "club" entails, I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.....
    I don't know what you're finding so difficult to understand. Have a read of this thread. It's the same one I linked to earlier where a book club was created in Galway city.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I don't know what you're finding so difficult to understand. Have a read of this thread. It's the same one I linked to earlier where a book club was created in Galway city.
    oh okay its an actual bookclub, i thought there was a euphemism thrown in there. Sorry but i would not be interested in joining this club, although i may swing by. have fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I might be interested. I may not be able to travel to tralee all the time but let me know the date and time for the first meeting and I shall try and make it.

Dont forgot to pick a book - seeing as this is Sabrielles idea s/eh should pick the first one.

I've sent a PM to everyone who expressed an interest so far which is Caros, crazzzzy, Inexile, KenmareGirl and Sabrielle.

Anyone else that's interested, feel free to jump on in!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I don't know if it is of interest but the is a bookclub in Tralee, as far as I know they meet on Tuesday evening in the Library.

I also don't know if this would be of interest [depending on what type of books ye would be reading ] but there is a few authors about the county and a local publishing house, Doghouse Books.

Hope it goes well

Just wondering if there's any update on this?
    I have offered my kitchen table as an initial rendevous point if necessary. It would be great if it could get off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Master Bates, we don't need that sort of trolling here thanks. Read the rules. Abide by them please. (Warning by post this time but next time it will be an infraction)

I'd love if this got up and running and as I said in my earlier post my kitchen table is available as an initial rendevous point so if anyone is still interested would they let me know and even if there's just 3 or 4 of us it would be a starting point. So who's in.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

440Hz wrote: »
    Master Bates, we don't need that sort of trolling here thanks. Read the rules. Abide by them please. (Warning by post this time but next time it will be an infraction)

Fair enough!

There is one thing however, why is your location Cork if you're such a devout Kerryman?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just wondering if there's any update on this?
    I have offered my kitchen table as an initial rendevous point if necessary. It would be great if it could get off the ground.

Has it got no legs?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Susie Conway

I'd love if this got up and running and as I said in my earlier post my kitchen table is available as an initial rendevous point so if anyone is still interested would they let me know and even if there's just 3 or 4 of us it would be a starting point. So who's in.....
    Please contact me if this gets off the ground would be interested, would be coming from the Castleisland Side

Advertisement