Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan

Options
  • 03-01-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I have an issue I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with. I searched the boards, but didn't find an answer so I hope this isn't a duplicate post!

Anyway, I have been renting a house for the last couple of months. I noticed that when I fry anything the smell lingers and everything in the kitchen/dining room stinks afterwards. As I don't fry things that often, it wasn't such a big deal but I decided to have a look one day and I saw that the extractor hood above the cooker has no filter in it. In addition, it simply blows air straight up above the cupboards in the kitchen. It effectively moves air from the cooker to the space above the cooker, with no filtration.

So I'm wondering whether I can solve the smell (and sometimes smoke! :)) issue by simply installing a filter in the extractor hood or if I would need to run a ventilation pipe from the extractor to the outside of the kitchen (through a wall)? I read this: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1647,en.pdf and it seems to suggest that a kitchen is required to have an automatic extractor that vents to the exterior. Am I entitled to ring up the landlord and get him to install a ventilation pipe? (and while on the subject, should I be ringing the landlord about this sort of thing or the letting agent that handled the lease signing?)

Many questions, I hope somebody has some answers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

depends on the age of the house - but to get rid of the smell etc... you will need to go outside with the pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

A filter will certainly help - you can pick these up relatively cheaply, I think I have some that I got in Aldi, 3 for 5 euros a while back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

An extractor fan is normally removing the air from the kitchen to an outside vent- not simply recirculating it around the kitchen. Certainly- putting a filter in the fan will remove a portion of the fat when frying from the air- smaller particles along with smoke- will not be removed. Seriously- don't even consider smoking in the kitchen- you'll ruin the place.

Advertisement