Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this sci-fi movie? - vague, vague info

• 03-01-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

A bit of a long-shot.

For some reason I'm recently recalling a film I half saw years ago.

From what I can remember;
    1. 1960s - 1970s
    2. Opening scene has a very small abandoned desert village. Everyone is dead in the village - except for 1 or 2 people.
    Scientist type people in suits are in a vehicle and pick up the people who are alive.
    3. Something obviously happened that wiped out everyone.
    4. All the scientists and survivors are living in an underground building.
    5. They communicate with other locations via a telegraph type machine.
    6. I think the machine was problematic - and they had to fix it.

I never saw the end of the film, and I believe thats why its in my head - as I want to figure out how it ended.

All of the above - very vague - and as stated a complete long-shot - but where theres a chance, a possibility a vague hint of a chance -> theres a boardsie......:D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Some of it sounds like Threads but the rest of it doesn't :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

A bit of a long-shot.

For some reason I'm recently recalling a film I half saw years ago.

From what I can remember;
    1. 1960s - 1970s
    2. Opening scene has a very small abandoned desert village. Everyone is dead in the village - except for 1 or 2 people.
    Scientist type people in suits are in a vehicle and pick up the people who are alive.
    3. Something obviously happened that wiped out everyone.
    4. All the scientists and survivors are living in an underground building.
    5. They communicate with other locations via a telegraph type machine.
    6. I think the machine was problematic - and they had to fix it.

I never saw the end of the film, and I believe thats why its in my head - as I want to figure out how it ended.

All of the above - very vague - and as stated a complete long-shot - but where theres a chance, a possibility a vague hint of a chance -> theres a boardsie......:D

Were they under attack from ants?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

I don't recall the ants.

I think it was some kind of virus.

I don't believe it was based in UK => not Threads.
    I believe it was based in U.S. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

were the survivors a drunk and a baby? if so then it's "the andromeda strain" although they weren't stuck underground as far as I can remember.

oh, they've remade the andromeda strain in 2008. anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

EL_Loco wrote: »
    were the survivors a drunk and a baby? if so then it's "the andromeda strain" although they weren't stuck underground as far as I can remember.

oh, they've remade the andromeda strain in 2008. anyways.

It's definitely the Andromeda Strain. The base where they were analysing the virus was underground and there all these drawn out tiresome sequences were they went through higher and higher levels of decontamination as they went in to more secure areas of the complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definitely The Andromeda Strain:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep Andromeda Strain, saw it last year. Exellent film if you like your Science Fiction to be of the hard variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Long shot but sounds a little bit (although other parts don't) a film I seen years ago, doubt it though. It was called

'A Boy and His Dog'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog

Edit

Apologies, had posted this and then seen the last two posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

it was literally 15 years ago when I saw it, and the only reason I remember it is because I didn't see the end! I'll have to put it on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It's definitely the Andromeda Strain. The base where they were analysing the virus was underground and there all these drawn out tiresome sequences were they went through higher and higher levels of decontamination as they went in to more secure areas of the complex.

FWIW The original Andromeda Strain movie was directed by Robert Wise who also directed the first Star Trek movie. There are some definite stylistic similarities especially in terms of the sterile, antiseptic interiors and, sorry to say, the "tiresome sequences".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

FWIW The original Andromeda Strain movie was directed by Robert Wise who also directed the first Star Trek movie. There are some definite stylistic similarities especially in terms of the sterile, antiseptic interiors and, sorry to say, the "tiresome sequences".

Yeah.. they just seemed to go way, way too long.

Still a very good film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

The Andromeda Strain!!!!!! :D

El_Loco, MonkeyFudge, Karl Hungus et al

Thanks a million - that is exactly the movie.

Now, I must get it and see what does actually happen at the end.

Again - boardsies to the rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

loved this film as a kid and watched it recently, the tv remake was pants as it didn't have the same suspense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Lets go back to the rock, lets go back to the rock, lets go back to the rock, go back to the rock, go back to the rock and see it at 4-40

Advertisement