Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

careful drivers

Options
  • 03-01-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

my impression is that road-deaths are down this christmas/new year...

anyone know the numbers?

despite the 'treacherous' conditions everyone seems to be very careful... maybe we need a constant freeze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I said this last week on a post here, I think road deaths are definitely down during the cold snap, people are not driving recklessly , yet it is easier to crash for drivers who are even careful on the ice.

recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I've heard of a lot of minor accidents over the past week or so, but it's been mostly vehicle/property damage caused rather than any injuries as everyone's been driving at slow speeds due to the road conditions.

That's just anecdotal evidence though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It would make complete sense. There'll have been far more minor accidents and some unfortunate serious ones but for the most part people will have been driving a lot less and travelling at well below the posted speed limits on the more hazardous roads. I rarely touched the speed limit on any of the roads I drove on over the Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'll add that it better clear up very soon. From tomorrow morning on most of the working population of the country will be back to long and currently dangerous early morning/evening commutes they've been able to avoid for the last 10 days or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is the lower speed in general. Far more accidents but the low speed means far less deaths. Still plenty of awful driving for the conditions though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Also did you know that Gardai are not allowed to have checkpoints in frost or snow?
    This doesnt mean go out and drink drive now!!!

Advertisement