Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Mod for phat PS2

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just wondering if anyone knows how to mod a PS2 with LEDs.
    There are guides on the internet but they are all old and the sites are gone.
    Does anyone know a good guide?
    Thanks
    Jak/mar

ps. Does anyone know how you find the 12v and 5v spots on the board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Generally one would just measure the voltage at the led while its on. Ive never done a PS2 led mod, it could be a bit finniky (real word?) as the lights are in the switches.

I never knew the PS2 hard a drive activity led which pulses when there is drive activity, you could look at doing something with that too maybe if your PS2 was equipped with a drive.

All in all I reckon the PS2's led's suit it just fine. If you want to impress, why not illuminate within the lower half of the PS2 internally, so it shines out through the vents, as opposed to messing with those little led's in the power/reset switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

EnterNow wrote: »
    Generally one would just measure the voltage at the led while its on.
    Is that not dangerous? 220 volts coming through to the power supply. The power supply is where most people solder the leds
    EnterNow wrote: »
    If you want to impress, why not illuminate within the lower half of the PS2 internally, so it shines out through the vents, as opposed to messing with those little led's in the power/reset switch.
    Thats what I was going to do.Either that or put a window in the top. Those leds in the switches are too small:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jak/mar wrote: »
    Is that not dangerous? 220 volts coming through to the power supply. The power supply is where most people solder the leds

Thats what I was going to do.Either that or put a window in the top. Those leds in the switches are too small:P

One would solder onto board power supplies if you were adding EXTRA led's, but when it comes to power led mods, the idea would be to REPLACE the existing led with the desired colour/matching spec'd led. Presumably it would be a 3.3v or 5v led, so measure to check - then desolder & replace.

I've seen the bottom half of a PS2 illuminated internally, and if done correctly its quite subtle and not tacky -which led mods can very easily lead to, tackyness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Usb Ports are a decent source of 5v

700px-USB.svg.png

Use - as GND and + as your V and you've got a stable 5V

now remember, the picture we are looking at here is of a usb stick we'll say, but it actually holds true for the "socket" too, If the white plastic is at the bottom of the port its the same as the picture, if its at the top (more than likely) just spin the picture upside down.

The power supply recieves 240v, but would convert it down, but I would avoid the power supply. Good spots to target are the location of the cables coming from the power supply maybe. But for now stick with the USB ports, they're safe bet, just dont solder anything to the middle wires and you'll be grand

EDIT: OH and you can bet there is 12v going to the disc drive

Advertisement