Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Testing Charger for Fault & USB Stick Repair

• 03-01-2010 10:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks - I have two quick questions.

- I have two Compaq laptops both reporting an issue with charging. The chargers are slightly damaged (chewed by a rabbit apparently) and one wont charge the laptop at all, the other will depending on which way you bend the cable. For fear of purchasing two chargers that are not needed when the fault may be internal - whats the quickest and easiest way to check against this? Its not something I have had much dealing with personally in the past.

- Iv an old(sh) USB Memory Stick that has lost its outer shell and the head connector wont stay on to be plugged into the USB port. Even when it did though, it took some work to get power into it and it usually never lasted long enough for me to grab the data. It works fine, it just slowly fell apart until one day I could no longer connect it. Me being me - never took the data of which I badly need. Who would be good at recovering that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sully wrote: »
    - I have two Compaq laptops both reporting an issue with charging. The chargers are slightly damaged (chewed by a rabbit apparently) and one wont charge the laptop at all, the other will depending on which way you bend the cable. For fear of purchasing two chargers that are not needed when the fault may be internal - whats the quickest and easiest way to check against this? Its not something I have had much dealing with personally in the past.

The only thing you can do is to prune out the rabbit chewed part. Won't be pretty when you're done either. Cut out the affected section of cable, and resolder the two ends of the lead together using plenty of insulation. I'd be happy to do it for you if you're in Cork someday.
    Sully wrote: »
    - Iv an old(sh) USB Memory Stick that has lost its outer shell and the head connector wont stay on to be plugged into the USB port. Even when it did though, it took some work to get power into it and it usually never lasted long enough for me to grab the data. It works fine, it just slowly fell apart until one day I could no longer connect it. Me being me - never took the data of which I badly need. Who would be good at recovering that?

I could solder on a new USB connection, but it won''t be pretty. You'd be able to get your data off though. The USB connections you can buy in Maplins for about 2 euro.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks for the offer. If your free any day this week, apart from Wednesday and Thursday, or any other time I can pop up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sure dude, free most times this week, give me a PM whenever you're looking to make the trip. Can't make any guarantees, but we'll give it a try!

Advertisement