Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Beach Coastal Erosion

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I walked the North Beach today and was horrified at the hugh increase in the level of coastal erosion since the summer. I would estimate that in places erosion in excess of 5 meters has already occurred. The "cliff walk" has now been diverted to the railway end of Darcys field and the path between Darcys field and the site of the Gap Bridge has now eroded into the sea. The path around the batching plant in Darcys field has also eroded into the sea. Material from the old dump is now beginning to fall onto the beach.

There is no evidence of any beach nourishment material which was supposed to be placed on the beach to protect the cliffs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

dick roche, take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The sea has been eating away the east coast for years and years. There were lots of houses on what is now the north beach . The sea does terrible damage

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep and masssive storms last week. Seems people always want to find someone to blame for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Yep and masssive storms last week. Seems people always want to find someone to blame for everything.

Where were the massive storms last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

danjo wrote: »
    Where were the massive storms last week?

Easterly winds all week so surf was heavy onto beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Osvaldoc

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The sea has been eating away the east coast for years and years. There were lots of houses on what is now the north beach . The sea does terrible damage

It is correct that there has always been erosion on the soft shoreline of the North Beach. However the new breakwaters are increasing this erosion to unprecedented levels. This very impact was predicted in the coastal studies included in the Environmental Impact Statement produced by Wicklow Co Co and it was supposed to be mitigated by beach nourishment. However this promised nourishment has not materialised possibly due to funding issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mens bathing place 01/11/09
    100949.JPG

Men's Bathing Place Yesterday
    100950.JPG

The level of sand at this point has varied a lot over the years, but I'd never seen it as silted up as it was in November and really didn't think it would be usable again in the near future. Shows the power of the easterly winds.

Osvaldoc - the North Beach cliffs have been eroding dramatically for decades, just because the harbour developments are occuring concurrently with the latest incidence of erosion does not illustrate cause-and-effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

loyatemu, will you stop hanging around the mens bathing place :D

(edit) i was also removing them :)

Osvaldoc - the North Beach cliffs have been eroding dramatically for decades, just because the harbour developments are occuring concurrently with the latest incidence of erosion does not illustrate cause-and-effect.

But the coastal studies in the EIS said that the level of erosion on the North Beach would increase with the breakwaters in place. This has now come to pass. Unless they put the beach nourishment on the beach this enhanced erosion effect will increase. By failing to nourish the beach there is a clear breach of the planning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

loyatemu wrote: »
    Mens bathing place 01/11/09

The level of sand at this point has varied a lot over the years, but I'd never seen it as silted up as it was in November and really didn't think it would be usable again in the near future. Shows the power of the easterly winds.

I first noticed a big fill up when the dredging was going on years back.
    I thought it was something to do with that, but then someone put me right.

It hasn't ever seemed to get as deep as it was when I was a boy.:D

• Advertisement

Osvaldoc wrote: »
    However the new breakwaters are increasing this erosion to unprecedented levels. This very impact was predicted in the coastal studies included in the Environmental Impact Statement produced by Wicklow Co Co and it was supposed to be mitigated by beach nourishment.

The fact that this was identified as a problem in the EIS means that action should be taken.
    We can all postulate opinions on other causes but the study obviously identified a need for nourishment to counteract the effect of the works.

IMHO the nourishment should be implemented without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I walked the sea front last Tuesday and wednesday week. I work shifts and I walk on the way home so it was about 22:30 when I was heading onto the south beach at the second arch. Tuesday was bad but Wednesday is the worst I have seen it since Hurricane Charlie. When I got onto the seafront path at the second arch i looked out at the sea. The waves where coming right up the beach nearly touching the wall and when I looked out the waves/swell where at the same hight as my head. Needless to say I walked quickly.

Since the protection agains the sea started down towards Kilcoole creating a sort of head the south beach has become a lot bigger which would suggest to me that the current runs nearly parallel to the coast .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

Totally agree with Osvaldoc, Sisk, Wicklow CC etc were warned. If you actually watch the sea as the tide is coming in you will notice that it is now coming in at an angle, hence with the adverse weather conditions the erosion is getting worse.
    As you walk down to the beach by the man-made 'ramp' (a rather optimistic design) half the path has now been washed away, this is the 2nd or 3rd time its happened.
    Yes it’s no good blaming ‘whoever’ but it needs to be addressed and a solution put into place sharpish , otherwise there is a good chance that the North Beach will be impassable as might the walk way to Bray
    In fairness though a mini bridge has been put in place adjacent to Darcy’s field so you are now able to walk along some of the ‘old walk’ instead of crossing the railway line and walking up The Grove, much safer. :)

Osvaldoc, danjo and Pipasawrus have you made your findings known to the correct authorities ? Maybe they will advise you as to what measures are being taken.

Osvaldoc, danjo and Pipasawrus have you made your findings known to the correct authorities ? Maybe they will advise you as to what measures are being taken.

John,
    I made no findings but I await to hear of any actions taken.

The developer is fully aware of the catastrophe occurring at the north beach and has most probably got such serious cash flow problems that they cannot do anything about it.

But who are the "correct authorities"? Unfortunately there aren't any. Wicklow County Council continues to ignore any negative feedback about this project as they are in bed with the developer. Bord Pleanala ignored the evidence and approved the thing.

The north beach has no friends and is doomed to erode into the sea at a much faster rate than ever before.

It appears that you are correct in saying the North Beach has no friends 'cos as was indicated by the support for an Independent candidate in the 2007 General Election who stood on the promise of fighting against the North Beach developments, her support was seriously lacking. Proof as to your statement.

2007 30th Dail Not Elected Wicklow (2) 2,246 3.46% 0.21

It appears that you are correct in saying the North Beach has no friends 'cos as was indicated by the support for an Independent candidate in the 2007 General Election who stood on the promise of fighting against the North Beach developments, her support was seriously lacking. Proof as to your statement.

2007 30th Dail Not Elected Wicklow (2) 2,246 3.46% 0.21

We are talking about coastal erosion being caused by the new breakwaters and not some meaningless election. Please keep to the topic.

Osvaldoc wrote: »
    The north beach has no friends and is doomed to erode into the sea at a much faster rate than ever before.

I was just agreeing with your statement :rolleyes:
    Be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I had a look at that on saturday. I may be wrong but I would say thats the most severe erosion in a long number of years. The builders have actually moved back the fence on Darcy's field. If the erosion continues for another metre or so the tarmac base they layed on the field will start to fall onto the beach. In addition the groyne they built about a year ago has now been abandoned and is simply a litter of concrete blocks scattered around the beach. Worrying!

• Advertisement

4290965318_5885960b93.jpg

Part of the old town dump is clearly now eroding onto the beach and into the sea causing some environmental contamination. T[FONT=&quot]he heavy metals identified during the testing as part of the EIS are now being mobilised where t[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]he PAHs bound to organic matter and/or clay particles and pass into solution form causing groundwater contamination[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]This is in clear violation of EU Directive 80/68/EEC of 17 December 1979.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Advertisement