Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions on cars

• 03-01-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

hey lads, looking for a bit of help, what car would be better as a second car, 1st being a punto<any car says you ha ha:p>
    but im looking at either a nissan almera, opel astra, chevrolet lacetti or cars similar. ive about 4000 to spend plus my 00 punto as a trade in if i can get one.
    any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are so many makes and models out there, I wouldn't limit myself to what looks like 3 random cars

Try and find something with low mileage,in great condition lots of NCT and service history and at a good price

Then worry about what make it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

there are not 3 random cars, i narrowed the cars to them 3 because they are all at least
    1.4l and not more than 1.6l and are and a nice comfortable size to drive and are all known for reliability, plus you should have some idea on what car you would like for your 2nd car, you pick any car for your 1st just to get you started i supose but i think u should have a fair idea for your 2nd. after having driving a punto for over 2 years i dont want to drive a 1l nissan micra or corsa but at the same time i dont want to drive a 2l chevolet captiva < or could afford it ha ha>

the (post 2000) Almera is a 1.5 and not exactly known for fantastic build quality or reliability, they also have an awful driving position and poor safety. they also have a dreadful gearchange.

They're not a complete pile of scrap, but it's hard to think of a top 5 it'd appear on.

For 4k and 1.4 max. I'd be looking at:

Ford Focus
    Ford Fiesta 1.25
    Fiat Panda
    Mazda 2
    Toyota Corolla

thanx for the reply, yeah i will look into the focus i seen afew nice ones on carzone, is it true its a bit thirsty on petrol because its a heavy car?

The 1.4 is hard on juice if you like keeping up with traffic as you have to drive the stones out of it to get it to move.

Ford's official figures (42mpg) say the 1.4 was better on juice than the 1.6 - but in the real world it's not that bad.

It's not gonna eat you out of house and home or anything. you'll find most cars hard on petrol after the Punto.

• Advertisement

ha ha very true, i got from dublin to kerry for 20euro just under half a tank.
    but im sure the focus would be a nicer drive down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd also consider these:

Mitsubishi Lancer:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200945195775010

Honda Civic:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200951196240853

Mazda 323:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200944195696873

Not very exciting I know but all are generally known for their reliability and are easy on fuel.

BTW I'd try and sell the 00 Punto privately, it will be worth very little as a trade-in and it will allow you to buy the new car at a straight deal discounted price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The 1.4 Focus is actually pretty good on long spins due to being highly geared. Drinks it in town though and can be imo dangerously slow at times. 1.6 is the way to go with one

it will be nicer alright.

I wouldn't limit myself to1.4 if I were you. a 1.6 doesn't really cost much more (you're already paying 1.3 rates on your 1242cc Punto)

try and find a 1.6 323. They've got loads of kit, they're great on fuel and they're actually decent to drive. I wouldn't recommend the 1.3 as they have less safety and comfort on them.

• Advertisement

i was goin to look at an astra tomorow in right price cars now i will also go to Blanchardstown and have alook at that lancer, the puto will b very hard to sell, when i looked at carzone and autotrader there were pages upon pages of puntos but i will ask when im in the garage how much id get for it and take it from there. thanx very much for the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Focus on the cost to trade-up price rather than what you are being given for the Punto against any car. The cost to trade-up price is all that matters.

I still think a good 00 Punto will sell privately if priced right.

could i have your opinions on this please
    http://www.nrgmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=461133

tinted windows and fancy number plates would have me checking the car over thoroughly.

A lot of kit for the money alright.

I may be wrong but I believe that garage has been mentioned here before under a former name and not in a good light. Court case too...

could be a bit of a boy racer job alright, hmmm, dont want parts brakeing on me afew weeks after i buy it

hmm selling dodgy cars? would you have any links to that thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317847&referrerid=59211

They've promised to stop clocking cars now though.

scouts honour:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

could i have your opinions on this please
    http://www.nrgmotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=461133
    5 owners? The Almera really are piles of poo. I'd be looking at one of these, as suggested in the post above. http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200951196240853

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

hey lads, looking for a bit of help, what car would be better as a second car, 1st being a punto<any car says you ha ha:p>
    but im looking at either a nissan almera, opel astra, chevrolet lacetti or cars similar. ive about 4000 to spend plus my 00 punto as a trade in if i can get one.
    any help would be great thanks.

If you must insist on one of the 3 mentioned above i would go for the nissan. Owned one for a year, good little car if a little slow & a bit boring.

Would you not consider a honda civic or a mazda 323? If reliability is a priority go for a Jap car imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the (post 2000) Almera is a 1.5 and not exactly known for fantastic build quality or reliability, they also have an awful driving position and poor safety. they also have a dreadful gearchange.

They're not a complete pile of scrap, but it's hard to think of a top 5 it'd appear on.

For 4k and 1.4 max. I'd be looking at:

Ford Focus
    Ford Fiesta 1.25
    Fiat Panda
    Mazda 2
    Toyota Corolla

Hello colm_mcm, did you own an almera?

I'd be inclined to avoid the Almera too. Had an 03 one from new for 4 years at home. Back to garage 11 times in first 12 months with non-starting issues and traded in with a rattling timing chain at 43k. Didn't drive particularly well, bit tight il the back too for the size of car

hmm i learned to drive in a 04 almera i found it it be a grand car to drive but im hearing more bad than good about it now, im goin to check out the honda civic thismorning aswell as the almera and lancer.

Hello colm_mcm, did you own an almera?

Christ no! I sold some and got the repair bills alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

[QUOTE=chevrolet lacetti ......[/QUOTE]

When this this become a reliable car? I would never have put Daewoo/Chevrolet into the reliable category??

dident bother wasteing my time on that almera as i was avised, 5 owners 05 car tinted windows, not very good.

but i did go to see this 03 honda civic 1.4
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.4-@-RI/200951196240853/advert?channel=CARS
    its in good condition afew little scratches on it nothing to major, for 5000 he offered me 750 for my punto, im goin for a test drive tomorow morning,

Advertisement