Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work for Non EU citizens

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone had any advice that they could offer. My gf is a resident of Philippines and is looking to live and work in Ireland. What is the best way for her to get set up here. She works in the Hotel Industry and has a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management. She is seeking work in Dublin at present. Has anyone got any advice as to how best to get a work permit here/VISA here? Many thanks,

Dar

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Based on other threads I'd guess that student visa (20h work per week at most) would be about the only way short of marriage but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Surely she couldn't get a student visa unless she was actually studying something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Rind Citizens Information or her countries embassy. Surely they will know for sure.:

Just came across this:

Employment Permits – Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/faqs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lizzyrock

Thanks for the help lads. Yeah it looks like the student VISA is the most realistic VISA in this case. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BHeadie

Have you looked into getting a business to sponsor her, Basically you find her a job and ask them to write a letter to GNIB asking for documents. It might only work for certain careers though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

BHeadie wrote: »
    Have you looked into getting a business to sponsor her, Basically you find her a job and ask them to write a letter to GNIB asking for documents. It might only work for certain careers though
    to do that the business would have to prove that there is not a person in the current Irish workforce who could do that job. Not much chance of that with the current unemployment figures. Its a lot of trouble and expense for a company to go to so unless the person was going to be a huge asset to them I don't see why they would bother.

Yes I know that it has to be proven that no one from the EU can do the job, and also the Employment Permits are job specific too. Both making the business sponsorship all the more difficult.

If she is not a student her bast option would be to get sponsored by a company would would want to hire her because she is in her language. The seem to be quite a few jobs for people with second language. I assume she good written and spoke English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

mood wrote: »
    If she is not a student her bast option would be to get sponsored by a company would would want to hire her because she is in her language. The seem to be quite a few jobs for people with second language. I assume she good written and spoke English.
    not exactly correct - the sponsoring company would still have to prove that there is no one available already in the irish workforce who could do the job and they are therefore forced to look elsewhere. Given the large amount of Phillipine Nationals now unemployed it would be difficult to proce this.
    Also most of the jobs advertised looking for people with second languages are for Nordic languages. And the other thing is, a lot of the other language jobs advertised are fake, put up by agencies (voice of experience here :()

But isn't it worth a try? It's not like they have a lot of choice!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys, it is all appreciated. Yes I see how difficult it is going to be but any options are welcomed and I will look into.

Advertisement