Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats "the ban"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

just read it on other forums about this whole situation =s
    so will parts be able to come through with no problems?
    for example stocks, mags, dot sights, bodys, will they get through?
    then theres inners, barrels, etc, will they get through?
    if theyr all able to all come through will i be able to order in enough parts to build a AEG?
    an if thats the case is it only whole fully assembled AEGs that arnt able tto get through?
    xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

external parts - stay the same as it is know, customs may take an interest as they do know with stock/optics and all that stuff normal there just looking to confirm there for airsoft

internal parts- no change

the only items that will be restricted will be things that look like firearms, so this will more than likely include grenade launchers and frames for things like pistols are areas that jump to mind, the exact definition of a RIF ( replica/realistic imitation firearm ) has not been release yet )

Puding wrote: »
    the exact definition of a RIF ( replica/realistic imitation firearm ) has not been release yet )

thanks puding, i realy wana read this definition of the RIF when it comes up.

but if i cant import a full assembled AEG why can i still import all the parts where they all still look like the real thing. where a AEG can easily be identified as a AEG in customs as easy as parts that would go through.
    xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

@spooky-Vinny: Eirsoft have a partner products scheme that enables you to buy anything from Redwolf, EhobbyAsia and a good few others such as fire support after the ban has been introduced. There's a small percentage of commission, but you can email them for more information. Hobby Airsoft can order in anything from the Cybergun catalogue, and SEAirsoft are more than happy to fill out special orders...so your range is far from limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

thanks puding, i realy wana read this definition of the RIF when it comes up.

but if i cant import a full assembled AEG why can i still import all the parts where they all still look like the real thing. where a AEG can easily be identified as a AEG in customs as easy as parts that would go through.
    xXx

Because the government has decided to prohibit the PERSONAL importation of Realistic Imitation Firearms (RIF's) ... for the moment, to be implemented at some future date.
    They only have to add "or parts thereof:" to close the possible half+half/parts loophole.
    IMO If a Customs Officer forms an opinion that a part could possibly be used in a real firearm, they will take appropriate action.

AFAIK there will be nothing to stop one importing all the parts for an AEG or Pistol subject to the above, then reassembling it, even if that's possibly technically illegal also.
    We just have to wait for the magic definition of an RIF and an implementation date for the prohibition.

• Advertisement

@Inari & hitman_
    thank you for your help.
    i cant wait to read the definition of a RIF
    xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pyrokasey

In fairness to the government, with banning personal imports they should keep control of the retailers, I'm already noticing little hikes in prices, this is going to kill the game here if its exacerbated. Whats to stop us going to the uk to buy n carry back? Its not that hard n for some equipment would still be cheaper than paying the full irish price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

pyrokasey wrote: »
    In fairness to the government, with banning personal imports they should keep control of the retailers, I'm already noticing little hikes in prices, this is going to kill the game here if its exacerbated. Whats to stop us going to the uk to buy n carry back? Its not that hard n for some equipment would still be cheaper than paying the full irish price.
    UKARA and VCRA, that's what, unless you want a two tone AEG.
    And it will be ultimately more expensive than buying Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

pyrokasey wrote: »

Have I missed something...? Are we commies now?:eek:

Retailers can charge what they like, dont like it..don't buy from them get it off someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

retailers are business's they invested there own money or others in some cases.
    prices will go up and down over the fiscal year as the cost of buying ,shipping and rents on warehouses and shops go up and down with rates of interest and so on ,
    its not always about making mark ups to fill personal bank balances,
    our retailers are not rip off merchants

and as pointed out you cant just purchase an aeg or gbb unless your registered with with a skirmish site in the uk read ukara vcra as already posted restricts you to two tone aegs or gbb ,
    it would still be classed as personal imporation under irish law

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Who's hiking up prices? I haven't seen any of that.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

their are so many shops around now,if anything the prices are are goin down

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭cormac128

i dont think stores are putting up prices but im worried about their suppliers puting up prices

tbh not going to happen, wholesale prices are not going to be effect by the restriction on importing

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

The new law says you won't be able to import anything which resembles a firearm ie airsoft , without a licence.

Would this be the licence already out for firearms ?, or would there be a new one available for airsoft ?An airsoft specific licence it would allow control over who imports aeg's , and who buys them in irish retail stores. I thought this would be a beter idea as people still get to airsoft and control is implemented as only people with this new licence can purchase them ( ie. responsible people) ,

or is it that they give a monopoly to the stores and we must pay whatever prices they set or not play airsoft at all, thus numbers decline and airsoft dies out ( mostly) .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can't licence airsoft replicas as their is no way to trace or track them and they are not firearms as they are under 1J and as they are essentially toys. The ''Licence'' refears to a retail licence to sell airsoft replicas.

Only licenced retailers can import and sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

or is it that they give a monopoly to the stores and we must pay whatever prices they set or not play airsoft at all, thus numbers decline and airsoft dies out ( mostly) .

Topic has been discussed at great length months ago and has been nullified. The retailers in this country know the situation and are in competition with each other, it would be silly for any one of them to start charging over the odds because they know they can because we have got to a stage where there is just enough for varied market variety. That and the fact most of them love the sport and don't want to see it die out as it is their livelyhood at stake.

You can't licence airsoft replicas as their is no way to trace or track them and they are not firearms as they are under 1J and as they are essentially toys. The ''Licence'' refears to a retail licence to sell airsoft replicas.

Only licenced retailers can import and sell them.

I know that , but if you needed a licence (not the licence for a shop to sell them , i mean personal licence ) to buy an aeg from an irish shop , or online , then it would help control the sport as nobody approved for the licence should have an aeg and if they are caught with one , they are prosecuted. Thus everybody who is genuinely interested and responsible would have their licence and free to purchase aeg's , and those without one cant't purchase them form irish retailers or import. Just helps regulate the sport.

I know in the laws eyes they are viewed as toys , but the law is now changing , and the personal licence idea i thought seemed a bit beter.

Licences would never work and to be honest requiring a licence would kill the sport ,
    for instance if you go down the whole requirements ie firearms you need a licence, purchase orders then you need a gunsafe ,house alarm wired to a garda station and extra insuance premiums ,
    now take the average player ,collector , and so on eg
    i want to play airsoft once a month ohh i need garda vetting , licence ,gunsafe ,alarm system crap il go find another sport /hobby that too much hassle
    younger players dad .mum i want an aeg for my birthday or xmas im very intrested in playing airsoft hmmmm and as above gunsafe garda vetting answer ok this airsoft must be very dangerous if you need to go through all that sorry son you can have a baseball bat instead,
    Retailers arent stupid and most have a back round in airsoft here they dont just sell to any errrrrrrr bud does this look cool in meee trousers belt im a gangsta ,
    airsofts are toys and yes we cant keep them out of everybody hands if somebody really wants one they will find a way regardless of requiring a licence,

Gatling wrote: »
    Licences would never work and to be honest requiring a licence would kill the sport ,
    for instance if you go down the whole requirements ie firearms you need a licence, purchase orders then you need a gunsafe ,house alarm wired to a garda station and extra insuance premiums ,
    now take the average player ,collector , and so on eg
    i want to play airsoft once a month ohh i need garda vetting , licence ,gunsafe ,alarm system crap il go find another sport /hobby that too much hassle
    younger players dad .mum i want an aeg for my birthday or xmas im very intrested in playing airsoft hmmmm and as above gunsafe garda vetting answer ok this airsoft must be very dangerous if you need to go through all that sorry son you can have a baseball bat instead,
    Retailers arent stupid and most have a back round in airsoft here they dont just sell to any errrrrrrr bud does this look cool in meee trousers belt im a gangsta ,
    airsofts are toys and yes we cant keep them out of everybody hands if somebody really wants one they will find a way regardless of requiring a licence,

i see what you mean , good point , but it wouldn't count as a firearm , thus you would not require all the above.With this new law , all it is doing is changing how we buy them , and that'll do sweet f - all to regulate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RockBadger

One of the main reasons we all scoured the far east for our arsenal,apart from the endless variety was price,yeah?The lads at Eirsoft say obviously they will up the price of the partner product a wee bit-but it wont "break the bank"(tbc!!)Of course theyre entitled to do so to make it feasable for them but if the mad foreign postage costs are taken out of the equation,wont we be the ones coming out on top?Yes/No?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

i see what you mean , good point , but it wouldn't count as a firearm , thus you would not require all the above.With this new law , all it is doing is changing how we buy them , and that'll do sweet f - all to regulate them.

A personal licensing system, unless it did the same background checks as for a real firearm, has no effect. You can't say someone is responsible just because they filled out a form.

The two things the legislation here needed to do was:

1. Make it so the Gardaí could bust people who are spas with Airsoft.
    2. Make it so the guns available to Irish residents are under the limit.

1. is looked after by the new brandishing law, up until now someone had to press charges for assault and show up in court to get a conviction. Now it's a criminal offense to even take an AEG out in public. This is a good thing.

2. is looked after by making it so the only place you can get RIF from is a licensed retailer, whose business relies on the fact that their merchandise is compliant with the law.

Even aside from the competition keeping down prices thing, there's enough animosity in the Airsoft industry that (at least in theory) if a retailer started (or continued) to sell hot guns, they'd lose their license to trade and be ****ed because there are hordes of people out there waiting to report them. Genius.

RockBadger wrote: »
    One of the main reasons we all scoured the far east for our arsenal,apart from the endless variety was price,yeah?The lads at Eirsoft say obviously they will up the price of the partner product a wee bit-but it wont "break the bank"(tbc!!)Of course theyre entitled to do so to make it feasable for them but if the mad foreign postage costs are taken out of the equation,wont we be the ones coming out on top?Yes/No?

Exactly. I hear enough horror stories about people having stuff not show up or waiting months for ****,t hat I've given up buying stuff from HK.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

I take it that the defnition of an RIF hasnt come out yet.:(

.22 Lover wrote: »

no news on that yet, the iaa vic chair of the iaa posted in the FAQ that they where doing and release to let people who where we stand at the moment but nothing came out

The promised statement is on hold due to commmittee members being away for winter breaks ,
    hoping to have this sorted after the weekend

.22 Lover wrote: »

Yep, but before it does, the interpretation is probably going to be more strict if you're prosecuted. Unless of course you have the cash to legally test the definition and jump the queue.

By 'have the cash to legally test the definition and jump the queue', I mean:

Step 1: Go to O'Connell street and whip out an AEG.
    Step 2: Shout "Woo woo, mehal pellehs, brap brap immense" as loud as you can.
    Step 3: Get the ****e beaten out of you by a giant mullah Garda with giant ears and hands called Francis.
    Step 4: Go to court charged with brandishing under CJA 2009.
    Step 5: Pay your legal counsel through your bollox while they spend months trying to get you off on the technicality that an AEG isn't a RIF.
    Step 6: Atterney General's office issues a legal definition of a RIF just for you to get a judge off their back.
    Step 7: Go to jail.

This law will change nothing apart from prosecuting poeple easier. Do you actually think that the nakers out there think about getting prosecuted while they're acting the "muppa" with an aeg in public ect., no , they are just monkeys , they don't care because they will most likely get away with it anyway due to them being " disadvantaged ".

The only thing to do is stop them from getting their hand on aeg's and the like. The most effective way of doing this is a personal licence. Any naker can walk into a shop and buy an aeg ( i know , i know , shops don't sell to nakers , but im sure some slip through the net). Now with a licence( even a sub 1J firearm licence) this would not be a problem.

This new law doesn't stop a naker buying an aeg from a licenced retailer , bringing it home and upping it to whatever joule value he wished. However he wouldn't get his hands on the aeg in the first place if a personal licence was needed.

btw , would this effect second hand selling of aeg's ? , as most sellers out there don't have one of the new shop licence to sell them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yep, but before it does, the interpretation is probably going to be more strict if you're prosecuted. Unless of course you have the cash to legally test the definition and jump the queue.

By 'have the cash to legally test the definition and jump the queue', I mean:

Step 1: Go to O'Connell street and whip out an AEG.
    Step 2: Shout "Woo woo, mehal pellehs, brap brap immense" as loud as you can.
    Step 3: Get the ****e beaten out of you by a giant mullah Garda with giant ears and hands called Francis.
    Step 4: Go to court charged with brandishing under CJA 2009.
    Step 5: Pay your legal counsel through your bollox while they spend months trying to get you off on the technicality that an AEG isn't a RIF.
    Step 6: Atterney General's office issues a legal definition of a RIF just for you to get a judge off their back.
    Step 7: Go to jail.

:D:D:D
    Awesome;)

• Advertisement

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Exactly. I hear enough horror stories about people having stuff not show up or waiting months for ****,t hat I've given up buying stuff from HK.

Personally if i was ordering stuff from asia ect , i would go through a retailer here , like you say , just so much less hassel.I prefer to deal with bricks and mortar rather than someone im not failiar with.

Advertisement