Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5800 vs. HTC Hero

• 03-01-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭

Well basically, I've narrowed it down between these two phones. I'm leaning towards the Hero now because of Android OS but I do like the simple design and layout of the 5800. I would like a phone that does the basics well but offers some nice features in the way of multimedia etc. Anyway, convince me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely get the hero, although it is more expensive, so it's not really comparing like with like. I've had the nokia nearly a year now and i despise it. It's operating system is unstable and not very intuitive, it's as if it's trying to do everything but does none of them well. The touch screen isn't the best, and sometimes doesn't respond well to touches. The native web browser is poor and unstable, despite many firmware updates this has not been resolved. The music player is actually alright, no real complaints there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

My phone before my Hero was the 5800, lasted a few days! The Hero is better at most things, the things the 5800 is superior in is battery life, camera(suprisingly),speed and music! The Hero is a good multimedia phone too, not much complaints, its more customisable and its good fun to use :)

I'd go for the 5800 if I were yout hough, doesn't seem like you need that much, and there's no point spending that much extra to get the Hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Definitely get the hero, although it is more expensive, so it's not really comparing like with like. I've had the nokia nearly a year now and i despise it. It's operating system is unstable and not very intuitive, it's as if it's trying to do everything but does none of them well. The touch screen isn't the best, and sometimes doesn't respond well to touches. The native web browser is poor and unstable, despite many firmware updates this has not been resolved. The music player is actually alright, no real complaints there.

I have the 5800 for four months now and I wanted an i-Phone. Too expensive.
    Its great for music, media, internet, HSPDA (high-speed 3G), email, windows office software (buy off the internet).

If you read the Nokia forums you can upgrade the "firmware" (Nokia Operating System) to the current level and most of your problems will be gone. My Internet browser crashed a lot at first - now it never does. Same with the screen, but you have to read the manual about different programs need different touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah, if I was getting a pre-pay phone I would most likely go for the 5800, but I'm getting it on bill so the price difference is minimal. Think I'll go for the Hero, looks like it's a better all-rounder.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the 5800 for four months now and I wanted an i-Phone. Too expensive.
    Its great for music, media, internet, HSPDA (high-speed 3G), email, windows office software (buy off the internet).

If you read the Nokia forums you can upgrade the "firmware" (Nokia Operating System) to the current level and most of your problems will be gone. My Internet browser crashed a lot at first - now it never does. Same with the screen, but you have to read the manual about different programs need different touches.

I wish it did, but i'm running the latest firmware and it's still woeful. And i'm not the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Running the latest firmware for my 5800 as well and the web browser is pretty bad as you just cant rely on it working tbh.

Advertisement