Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your own personal favorite photo from the last year?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Hugh_C wrote: »
    For me, 2009 was a year of change for all sorts of reasons. I think this picture represents a turning point in my photography, technically imperfect but hey! I like it:

Technical, schmecnical, It's still a georgous shot. :)

This is probably mine. :)

F0259DBC0A9A453CBDA5818B2D5C8123-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

oshead wrote: »
    This is probably mine. :)

Are you perhaps related to Jill Greenberg!?

:pac:

Great pic, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Covey wrote: »
    Interesting post.. most maybe all ? are not in the boards book and are probably more interesting than whats in there (incl my own) !

Mine too, I chose my book pic of my daughter based on one set of criteria (sentiment and a follow on from last year's pic mostly) but my favourite of the year has been posted already on another thread, from when a fellow boardsie came to play on the Sligo coast taken with a lensbaby at f2:

When ThOnda met the Wave

ABF9C6CFE324465C98C5C317709F9FFF-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

pure brilliance dakar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hugh_C wrote: »
    pure brilliance dakar

Have to agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Dakar, that is the worst shot I've seen in all of 2009 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Covey wrote: »
    Dakar, that is the worst shot I've seen in all of 2009 :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the fact that that's your lens at the business end of his camera, I suppose? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Some really fantastic shots in this thread :D
    I have to ask... was ThOndas camera/lens completely destroyed by the wave?

Anyhow, mine;
    As soon as I purchased my 70-200mm lens I got this idea in my head and spent weeks waiting to get this shot:
    3916641729_c5829c229c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

One I liked from a trip to Cork.

3734377509_bbeac674dd.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wish I'd had time to take this properly, instead of on the run.
    101050.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

6052_118643546430_675371430_2877714_4290184_n.jpg

This ones probably mine. It's not perfect but I love it. Expired Polaroid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Didn't actually take the photo but I did photoshop it and won the After Hours Competition with it. :D

The_blind_ref_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I have several, all taken by Robin, my g/f, but here's my current fave:

Just 2 miles or so east of the 395, about 1 mile south of Mono Lake. At roughly 0550 hours, and about 20 effing degrees Fahrenheit.

It's looking west, and just over the ridgeline is Yosemite Nat'l Park, the far east end.

4237896840_548afd43e7_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

My favourite shot came right at the very end of the year on a photo club outing to Carton House, Maynooth.

I've added in the blog entry about the shot from my website underneath for anybody who is interested in how the shot was taken/processed.

4181099905_0e7d6400fa_o.jpg

HDR from 3 exposures

-2 0 +2

f22

ISO 100

I took this photo on the grounds of Carton House in Maynooth during an outing with my photography club. Normally when I go to Carton, I photograph the beautiful boat house on the other side of the river in the left of the shot. On this particular morning however, it was the cool winter light casting beautiful shadows on the ground and creating wonderful textures on the surfaces it reflected off that grabbed my attention.

This scene was a perfect candidate for HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography as it allowed me to preserve all the details of the sky during sunrise as well as the shadows and textures in the foreground. A single photograph would have left much of the foreground as a silhouette.

Firstly I put my camera on the tripod in order to ensure a perfectly sharp shot. I set up so that the sun was behind the tree to prevent too many blown out highlights and to the right of the path so that the path would lead into the shot from the bottom left corner in a diagonal across the scene.

I used an aperture of f22 to ensure that the scene would be sharp from foreground to background. I set the ISO to 100 to keep noise to a minimum (which is even more of an issue when shooting for HDR). I then set the auto exposure bracketing to -2 0 +2.

Now I like to have a human element in my shots but unfortunately on this morning there were few people around and the others were off photographing the beautiful river house. To overcome this I set the 10 second timer and then ran down the path in order to be provide the human interest myself........much to the amusement of my photography club friends.

Luckily the Canon 40D takes the 3 bracketed exposures automatically when the timer is on so all I had to do was set up, click the shutter and get into position. It was important to stay perfectly still for the 3 exposures in order to prevent ghosting during post procesing.

I converted the 3 RAW files to TIFFs in Lightroom and then used Photomatix to merge the 3 shots to HDR. I then finished off the processing in Photoshop. HDRs by their very nature lack contrast so I like to add some contrast back in during processing. The great thing about HDR is that because all of the tonal detail from shadows to highlights is present in the scene, you have total control over the contrast.

Thanks to HDR I was able to preserve all the detail in the sky during sunrise as well as the foreground detail. This would not be possible with a single shot. This is the beauty of HDR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

3394CE6022EA429DBC9BB0C2A7EABB77-800.jpg

For me its this image of my grandmothers hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

3975848790_60866a7900.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Probably this one
    3261821680_00c8a8b2da.jpg

It didn't go in the boards book because i had it as my computer wallpaper for months and was bored of it...

Its my favourite was it was a kinda shot i wanted to take for ages while saving up for my first DSLR (& cheap ebay remote for super long bulb exposures).....That and the fact that its a 424 second exposure taken in the middle of a very very cold February night *Freezing*
    I just wish i had discovered RAW so i could play with it now. The above is the jpeg straight out of the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

We went on a camping trip to Waterford late in the summer, camped on a secluded beech the weather was fabulous. I found it funny how things have changed from when I went camping as a Kid.

3882116422_7693c7e732.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's a smart website you have there. Nice easy lay out. Did you do it yourself?

humberklog wrote: »
    That's a smart website you have there. Nice easy lay out. Did you do it yourself?

Agreed! that looks really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

GavinZac wrote: »
    4106689520_c537caa8b2.jpg

of two of my friends dancing along during the flash mob in Cork earlier this year. I knew they were around and got some very nice shots while looking for them. I eventually found them and while this shot isn't technically great or composed very well, its the one that I enjoy the most. I'm really glad of the flash mob as I think it is one of the few things completely unsullied by the tribulations of the rest of my life this year, despite its motivations.

Umm... I think your friends might have a thing or two to admit to you about their political leanings. :eek:

Great thread btw! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,308 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Took lots of panoramas with the P&S over the year, but this one I feel captures the epicness of Hellfest. Next time, may get a mono-pod, as I had to heavily crop this shot to shave off the black patches.
    47E71731DFFB471A9941985D91F3B842-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

this is definitely mine.

out of the blue work trip to South Africa, had a free weekend and saw this...

7728_147941172704_582697704_2715236_5791811_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Took quite a while for me to pick out my favourite.... and this probably isn't it... or maybe it is...bah.
    6B700E3175724985A39FFBD987904CE4.jpg
    - that is one nice site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

3597986458_c481319dd6.jpg

This is mine. Spent about 90mins trying to get this.

All done manually on my own, from scratch - pressing the shutter, focusing each time, dropping the water, cleaning the water, setting up the lights. It was a hard enough slog - which until the last few minutes didn't seem rewarding at all!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Apart from my 'snaps' that probably shouldn't be posted (!) I love this one...

4F5CB63D9C0C4F7CB544DF2DC87AC0D1-800.jpg

Shot down in Kerry on the holiday that helped me get over the death of my Mam... Well, helped me start anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Hmm difficult to choose.
    I'd say this one, not a great shot but just reminds me of a really nice day.

DFB288FBCA654ABF8997332012CD857A-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

So cruel David!! :)

• Advertisement

Are you perhaps related to Jill Greenberg!?

:pac:

Great pic, btw.

Oh god... I hope not. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

DSCF2773.JPG

Sun breaking through the clouds somewhere around the ring of Kerry... Spent 5 days with my mate on our bikes. Best weekend of the year...

Borderfox wrote: »
    So cruel David!! :)

Sorry Keith, I missed that. lol. I wasn't being cruel. She dosn't need any encouragement to cry. Turning on the water works is whats she's best at. I just wanted to prolong the moment a little bit to capture it, for posterity and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Holy Sh1t UnkleRosco that is some picture!

oshead wrote: »
    Sorry Keith, I missed that. lol. I wasn't being cruel. She dosn't need any encouragement to cry. Turning on the water works is whats she's best at. I just wanted to prolong the moment a little bit to capture it, for posterity and all that. ;)

It would seem to be a female thing, an on/off tear gene.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I went out with my kids to see some kite board & buggy surfing out by Seapoint back in May. Unfortunately the winds were so strong it was too dangerous for the surfers to go out. A few of the buggy lads tried and broke their rigs.

I went for a walk with my son and daughter along the dunes and caught this one of my daughter. It's my favourite shot of the year as it captures her at a time of change. She is maturing from being my little daughter into a young woman. Coming into herself. Being happy within herself. My daughter who I cherish and love.

AC5427D61F184D2BB5D54912EE65C30E-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tzetze wrote: »
    I think it'll be a while before I better this one...

3797574793_644b1c2b3d.jpg

Cracking shot. I really like it :D

I dont have the lens to get that close or the luck to be in the right place at the right time :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

A happy again Michael , who never got to entertain us all againmichael-jackson-final-rehearsal-02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Took this a few days after I got my DSLR. I still think its one of the best photos I've taken, a bit depressing lol

EC6919FF58AF4F16B82378605077AB30-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Holy Sh1t UnkleRosco that is some picture!

Cheers... Was taken at 5am, had to get out of the tiny two man tent for some fresh air n thats what I saw. We where camped right on the coast, as in 2 mtrs from the sea, it was class...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

Probably this one. I think I've improved a lot in the last six months, especially my composition.
    4020776514_9941fc3a3f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Too big to post here so I'll link it.
    Paris in winter.
    From my trip to Paris last Febuary, surprised at how well it turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'd say this from Austria in July

austria_20090625_0315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

76F2F8B2DB3B4705A582A7F6B12A9234-800.jpg

I think this is the one for me. I like it as it was something I had planned to do and it came out more or less as I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

4076213234_aabb244f7d.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement