Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure storage of cash

Options
  • 03-01-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

It seems from previous posters banks don't offer safety deposit boxes any more. Is there another way of securely storing and adding to an amount of cash without opening a bank account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Post Office Account,
    Credit Union Account,
    Savings Bonds,
    Buy a Floor Level Safe and get it installed under your bed?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Safety deposit boxes weren't designed for storing cash, they were more for valuable items or documents. How much cash are you talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

It would need to be secure storage away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ATC110 wrote: »
    It seems from previous posters banks don't offer safety deposit boxes any more. Is there another way of securely storing and adding to an amount of cash without opening a bank account?

I'm being serious when I say this....

There should be no reason to hoard cash (in the way you're planning) unless you are:

a) Into something dodgy / trying to hide something.
    b) Planning for an apocalypse (and let me tell you if that happens, the last thing you'll be thinking about it is money....).

Proper financial management should ensure your have little or no monetary risk.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It would need to be secure storage away from home.

No way you can elaborate further? The way you're talking would lead me to feel there's something a bit sketchy about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

It's for personal reasons - nothing illegal but that's irrelevant anyway; I just want a secure way of storing cash away from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It's for personal reasons - nothing illegal but that's irrelevant anyway; I just want a secure way of storing cash away from home!

You can store it at my house if you like. Terms would be 10% of whatever you pay in. Access 24hrs a day, however outside banking hours would incur an extra 5% of withdrawl amount.

I can't think of anywhere that would really be all that secure for storing cash away from home. Banks are fitted with reinforced strong rooms, vaults, timelocks etc for storing cash. I can't think of anywhere else that would have facilities such as these available to the general public.

Advertisement