Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fault code readers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those cheap ones aren't that advanced, they just throw a load of codes up on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those cheap ones aren't that advanced, they just throw a load of codes up on the screen.

Cheers for that Colm an ideas on one that won't break the bank. Thanks

I'm not too well up on scanners, others on here are though
    I just remember the faults we had showing on Picassos weren't all engine faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

colm_mcm wrote: »

Colm what is an advance one.. Snap on reader reads p0400 and and aftermarket shows up and p0400. What do I do?
    P0400 can mean loads of different faults an diagnostic machine will not fix a car for you same as an fault code reader wont fix my problem.. It takes ecperience and the know how to trace a fault..

So colm I have a p0400 and am reading an egr excessive flow on a code reader and egr excessive on a diagnostic machine... What do I do? Air leak, air mass problem, 02 sensor problem, ecu problem, wriring problem, dpf stuffed, dpf sensor, blocked air filter....Colm please help me!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They dont need to be advanced. All you need for DIY work is the relevant code numbers, which you can then look up and translate.

The more advanced ones will allow you to do things like reset airbag lights, etc, but the one I bought for 40 Euro from the states has allowed me to fix several cars, and TBH, anthing it doesn't pick up is probably outside what I'm able to do under the bonnet anyway - so for that stuff, it's off to my local Indy mechanic.

• Advertisement

They dont need to be advanced. All you need for DIY work is the relevant code numbers, which you can then look up and translate.

QUOTE]

Spot on Paint doctor, exactly what i'm after. If you spy one anywhere online if you could let us know that would be great

dmca77 wrote: »
    Colm what is an advance one.. Snap on reader reads p0400 and and aftermarket shows up and p0400. What do I do?
    P0400 can mean loads of different faults an diagnostic machine will not fix a car for you same as an fault code reader wont fix my problem.. It takes ecperience and the know how to trace a fault..

So colm I have a p0400 and am reading an egr excessive flow on a code reader and egr excessive on a diagnostic machine... What do I do? Air leak, air mass problem, 02 sensor problem, ecu problem, wriring problem, dpf stuffed, dpf sensor, blocked air filter....Colm please help me!!!!!!

I take your point. what I was trying to say is that the code reader won't tell you much unless you know what to do with the codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Lexia 3 is what citroen use but this is run through a laptop..this will
    cover all engine ..airbag..abs faults...etc on all Peugeot/Citroen cars...:)
    But lexia can work out quite expensive unless you go for the copy versions on ebay.
    Aswell as lexia i've got one of these which are good but only display engine faults on most petrol cars from 98 onwards and diesel 04 onwards.
    http://www.autotec-direct.com/memoscan-u581-with-live-data-eobdobd2-scanner-all-2001-on-petrol-vehicles-diesels-from-2004-409-p.asp

Depends where you are but i don't charge 70euro or even half of it
    for a plugin...:)
    Ron.

Spot on Paint doctor, exactly what i'm after. If you spy one anywhere online if you could let us know that would be great

Have a look for my one, it's an Actron CP9125. So handy I keep it in the glovebox all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Row wrote: »
    But lexia can work out quite expensive unless you go for the copy versions on ebay.
    Aswell as lexia i've got one of these which are good but only display engine faults on most petrol cars from 98 onwards and diesel 04 onwards.
    http://www.autotec-direct.com/memoscan-u581-with-live-data-eobdobd2-scanner-all-2001-on-petrol-vehicles-diesels-from-2004-409-p.asp

Ron.
    #

Does it cover latest software downloads as all French cars have this updated weekly and probably the best at doing it!

• Advertisement

dmca77 wrote: »
    #

Does it cover latest software downloads as all French cars have this updated weekly and probably the best at doing it!

Mine has every peugeot model up to the 3008 (which are still under warranty)
    and they same goes for Citroen.
    The updates are really for engine,gearbox ecu downloads.
    These Downloads cannot be done so well unless your connected to the peugeot/citroen network...:rolleyes:
    Ron.

Row wrote: »

Ron.

Thanks Row, i'm in Dublin but will be at a wedding in Galway late January and will take you up on that offer. I'm having trouble with a temp sensor and Citeron are giving me the run around, 3 months later and they still haven't a bog why the motor fan won't turn on when engine heats up.

Thanks Row, i'm in Dublin but will be at a wedding in Galway late January and will take you up on that offer. I'm having trouble with a temp sensor and Citeron are giving me the run around, 3 months later and they still haven't a bog why the motor fan won't turn on when engine heats up.

Thats fine...if you want to pm me your vin number i can check out what
    you have on Citroens servicebox.
    Ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ManWithNoName

Guys im thinking of purchasing a fault reader for my Picasso :o no funny remarks. Anyway is anyone any the wiser to whether this model would work, its a 2002 picasso. thanks for any help. Just sick of been charged 70 quid every time just to check for faults.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/OBD2-OBd-2-Universal-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-CAN-Bus-U480_W0QQitemZ280445662319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item414bdd346f

70 ?

Thats realy expensive.

Check for faults in my garage is only 30.

Also i have diagnostic reader for sale. Check for U585 Super Memo Scanner.
    If you are interested PM to me.

Regard.
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

QUOTE]

Just be aware that there is a difference between code readers /eobd code readers and obdII code readers.
    Basically most readers out there for small money are obd readers which can read any obd code as specified by the obd regulations. the can not and do not read manufactures codes for that you will need a professional quality reader or factory tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

QUOTE]

Hi,
    If you're still lookin for scanners and such, have a look on chinavasion.com. They used to have quite a few different ones on there, both the handheld and laptop cable/software kind and were a fair bit cheaper for anything else i've ever bought from them! (i've always found their delivery reliable but not the fastest!!!) After that it's up to you! Goodluck!

beachlife wrote: »
    Just be aware that there is a difference between code readers /eobd code readers and obdII code readers.
    Basically most readers out there for small money are obd readers which can read any obd code as specified by the obd regulations. the can not and do not read manufactures codes for that you will need a professional quality reader or factory tool.

Which is exactly what I said before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

www.dealextreme.com

have some of these scanners also.

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Which is exactly what I said before :)

opps sorry paint doctor:)What I was trying to say is a eobd code reader will not give all the codes off the engine or whatever your scanning.Not that it won't do airbag ,coding,programming etc
    just that a simple sensor could be gone and the obd reader might not pick it up

I'm having trouble with a temp sensor and Citeron are giving me the run around, 3 months later and they still haven't a bog why the motor fan won't turn on when engine heats up.

Have they replaced the temp sensor....???
    Have they actuated the fan with lexia to see if its running...??
    Ron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement