Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching accounts---including debts---from BOI Ireland to BOI UK

Options
  • 03-01-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to do this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Anyone know how to do this???

BoI UK is more a business that for personal customers. and the UK branch network is not big..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

BoI UK is more a business that for personal customers. and the UK branch network is not big..

How about switching to other banks?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BOI UK is more for businesses, they may open an account for you if you've had an introduction from a ROI branch. One of my cousins moved to London a few years ago, and even though myself, my father and several other family members who are BOI staff contacted some of the UK branches on his behalf, he was unable to open an account and if I remember correctly managed to get one in Halifax.

You can't 'switch' your account to the UK in the same way you would switch between banks in the republic. You'd have to open an account with a UK bank (which can be awkward from what I've heard). Then you would have to apply for loans/credit facilities with that bank, use the proceeds to clear your debts here, and then close off your accounts here. I would imagine the UK banks are similar to the banks here, in that you'll have to build up a history with them before they'd grant you any loans etc. I know in my cousin's case he was waiting over a year just to be able to get a credit card, and he was working for a huge firm earning over £40,000. So it will probably be quite a time consuming process.

When you say 'UK' does it have to be mainland UK or would Northern Ireland do? Bank of Ireland and AIB have branches in the north and they'll deal with personal customers. I don't think it's possible to do a straight switch to the north either unfortunately.

Toots* wrote: »
    BOI UK is more for businesses, they may open an account for you if you've had an introduction from a ROI branch. One of my cousins moved to London a few years ago, and even though myself, my father and several other family members who are BOI staff contacted some of the UK branches on his behalf, he was unable to open an account and if I remember correctly managed to get one in Halifax.

You can't 'switch' your account to the UK in the same way you would switch between banks in the republic. You'd have to open an account with a UK bank (which can be awkward from what I've heard). Then you would have to apply for loans/credit facilities with that bank, use the proceeds to clear your debts here, and then close off your accounts here. I would imagine the UK banks are similar to the banks here, in that you'll have to build up a history with them before they'd grant you any loans etc. I know in my cousin's case he was waiting over a year just to be able to get a credit card, and he was working for a huge firm earning over £40,000. So it will probably be quite a time consuming process.

When you say 'UK' does it have to be mainland UK or would Northern Ireland do? Bank of Ireland and AIB have branches in the north and they'll deal with personal customers. I don't think it's possible to do a straight switch to the north either unfortunately.

It would be England. This sounds very difficult. I wonder can I set up an automatic international EFT payment to existing loans.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It would be England. This sounds very difficult. I wonder can I set up an automatic international EFT payment to existing loans.

I would imagine it should be possible using online banking. I know the UK are streets ahead of us as regards online banking. The disadvantage to that is that you'll be paying a lot in bank charges for the transfers and currency conversion.

• Advertisement

Toots* wrote: »
    I would imagine it should be possible using online banking. I know the UK are streets ahead of us as regards online banking. The disadvantage to that is that you'll be paying a lot in bank charges for the transfers and currency conversion.

OK. If only I'd had a Halifax Ireland account. Switching over to Halifax UK mighta been easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope - no different I'm afraid. A shared name is just that for the most part :)

Advertisement