Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter Repairs

• 03-01-2010 11:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A few days ago some wind lifted off the underskirting near the corner gutter (PVC) of our house. I can't remember how old they are at this stage. Obviously repairs are probably not all that viable in this weather, but I'm mostly concerned about some of the wires nearby, I can't quite tell if they're just mangled or if they might have been damaged. Do many people do repairs on this type of thing, is it expensive? There's not a huge amount of damage, but it's noticeable.

I don't have any photos to hand, but I could take some tomorrow if that might help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

A few days ago some wind lifted off the underskirting near the corner gutter (PVC) of our house. I can't remember how old they are at this stage. Obviously repairs are probably not all that viable in this weather, but I'm mostly concerned about some of the wires nearby, I can't quite tell if they're just mangled or if they might have been damaged. Do many people do repairs on this type of thing, is it expensive? There's not a huge amount of damage, but it's noticeable.

I don't have any photos to hand, but I could take some tomorrow if that might help.

Thanks.

Sound like fascia or sof damage, might be hard for repair to match up, all depends on how old existing stuff is. Depending on where damage is, might have to replace whole section. No idea on prices to be honest, prices have come down over the last year, I cant see it being to much, even an entire section with new gutter.

Not sure if you'll find answers here, best ring up local company to call out for quote then shop around with price.

Wires etc if damaged wont be long tripping or blowing fuses, might just be as you say mangled but all in all, safety first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that. Fascia is the sort of word I was probably looking for. I think we had it done when I was still in school so it's probably at least 8 or 9 years old. Yep, I was waiting for electric faults, etc, but nothing so far, thankfully. We know a guy who installed a few double glazed doors so he might be able to point us in the right direction. I kept the bits that came off so I'll try and take a photo of those as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Thanks for that. Fascia is the sort of word I was probably looking for. I think we had it done when I was still in school so it's probably at least 8 or 9 years old. Yep, I was waiting for electric faults, etc, but nothing so far, thankfully. We know a guy who installed a few double glazed doors so he might be able to point us in the right direction. I kept the bits that came off so I'll try and take a photo of those as well.

No bother, might be handy to pop up picture of sample, must be some UPVC folk posting here. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Here's what the damage looks like.

house3.jpg

house2.jpg

house1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its not that bad. You can get a single piece of fascia for the ends which you can cut to size and would fit perfectly. Its a big sqaure piece.

No need to worry about you electrics either, your electricity supply was replaced recently enough by the looks of it. The conductor is covered, and not bare copper like it probably was originally. Just be mindful that you supply is between the timber soffit and pvc stuff. You should probably put a piece of PAO timber to replace the piece that fell on the fascia and then the pvc piece of top of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I haven't a clue about the electricity end of things, I don't think we've had anything done to it, unless by recent you mean in the past 25 or so years.

Are the parts you mention easily found/available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks for that. I haven't a clue about the electricity end of things, I don't think we've had anything done to it, unless by recent you mean in the past 25 or so years.

Well you may not have known, esb networks would have done it without you asking. Their is 2 brackets on the side of the house, which was the setup for old bare conductor single copper phase and neutral, but it looks like it was replaced by bundle conductor. Nothing for you to worry about in anycase :)

Are the parts you mention easily found/available?

Ye, you may end up getting a length of PAO timber or half length, but the pvc piece should be able to get singly. If you know someone who does fascia and soffit they would have all this, like the poly pops they hold it together etc. It would only take them about an hour or so. If you can get someone or a builder you trust, then i think its worth it if your not to familiar with this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

The reason that piece of timber and fascia blew away from the house
    is because it is rotten.
    Find out where the water was coming from before you close up the damage. Also check if the remaining gable fascia board is in good condition. It may be worth your while replacing the full lenght of fascia.

Hey, thanks for your posts.

If I'm honest I know very little about DIY when it comes to the external parts of the house so I won't be tackling this myself.

Good point about the water, might be related to the tank in the attic?

Advertisement