Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another licence question

Options
  • 03-01-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey all im putting in for a gun licence hope to get an air rifle have a deposit on one. Its my first time going for the licence so what do i put down for proof of competence. Ive only done a small bit of shooting at a range for a couple of hours couple of months back and im hooked. I only want to do target shooting for the minute. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

jaybe1 wrote: »
    Hey all im putting in for a gun licence hope to get an air rifle have a deposit on one. Its my first time going for the licence so what do i put down for proof of competence. Ive only done a small bit of shooting at a range for a couple of hours couple of months back and im hooked. I only want to do target shooting for the minute. Any advice would be appreciated.

What range did you go to, why not join up?

They'll most likely do competency courses at a reduced rate for members and you say you are only going to be target shooting, so you'll need to be a member of range or target shooting club!

Goodluck with the license!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

It was in Kilkenny and Im in Meath so cant join there. Was hopin i didnt have to join a club as it'll stall getting the licence and gun and im not the most patient person unfortunately !! Plus its €150 a year. The closest shooting range is about 20 miles away bit far away for me. Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

You might be able to get a cert on the grounds that you'll be using it for vermin control?

No doubt there'll be more along shortly with better advice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It was in Kilkenny and Im in Meath so cant join there.

Why?
    Was hopin i didnt have to join a club as it'll stall getting the licence and gun....

How?
    and im not the most patient person unfortunately

Afraid you'll need patience if you are entering any shooting sport.
    Plus its €150 a year.

That doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. some clubs/ranges charge up to €800 per year.
    The closest shooting range is about 20 miles away bit far away for me. Any ideas ?

My range is just under 60 miles from me, but i make a point to attend. A mate of mine travels 129 miles each way a minimum of twice a month to the same range. Its all about your level of interest. I know other factors can be an issue (family, work, emergencies, etc) but these are things to weigh up before jumping into a sport without realising the level of commitment you may need to give.

Are you more intersted in the target end or vermin shooting end of it?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

ezridax wrote: »
    Why?

How?

That doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. some clubs/ranges charge up to €800 per year.

My range is just under 60 miles from me, but i make a point to attend. A mate of mine travels 129 miles each way a minimum of twice a month to the same range. Its all about your level of interest. I know other factors can be an issue (family, work, emergencies, etc) but these are things to weigh up before jumping into a sport without realising the level of commitment you may need to give.

Are you more intersted in the target end or vermin shooting end of it?

I only want to do target shooting for now with a mate of mine who's in the same situation to me. He has land so we were just going to set up targets there thats all i want for now. I was told by the shop i was looking at the guns in that i don't need to be part of a club to get the licence its just the proof of competence thats the trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..... He has land so we were just going to set up targets there thats all i want for now. I was told by the shop i was looking at the guns in that i don't need to be part of a club to get the licence its just the proof of competence thats the trouble.

Not entirely correct. If you plan to buy the rifle for target shooting you must provide membership of a range to verify your intention otherwise known as "Good reason" for wanting the rifle. If you are not a member of a range and don't intend or want to join then thats that option out the window.

If you put down that you want the rifle for hunting (which you'll have to if not a member of a range/club) then you must provide competency course details (if a first time applicant), land permissions, etc. If you can provide these then you can apply for a license but must put hunting on your FCA1 not target work. The reason you put down for wanting a particular firearm must be the primary use of the firearm but not the sole use of it. In other words if you put down target work as the reason for wanting the rifle this does not mean you cannot use it for the hunting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Its my first time going for the licence so what do i put down for proof of competence. Ive only done a small bit of shooting at a range for a couple of hours couple of months back and im hooked. I only want to do target shooting for the minute. Any advice would be appreciated.
    You NEED to join a range to take up target shooting,it's my understanding that you cannot set up targets on your friends land or lie on your app

Advertisement