Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATS

Options
  • 03-01-2010 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Has anybody recently noticed the volume of rats around greystones especially up near the Rugby club end. They're everywhere at the moment with the council digging up the old Garden centre and the water volume increase in the drains. I've personally rang the council a number of times but they don't seem to care

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    Has anybody recently noticed the volume of rats around greystones especially up near the Rugby club end. They're everywhere at the moment with the council digging up the old Garden centre and the water volume increase in the drains. I've personally rang the council a number of times but they don't seem to care

Yes, i have to say ive seen lots at night while driving around, funny you say that. And they are big!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Ahhh crap!! Was sitting in the living room on Saturday night and next thing I hear scratching in the ceiling, then whatever it was walked the length of the house into the kitchen. I can only assume its a rat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Most likely a mouse! Have had them in the past and they are noisy little buggers, especially in the dead of night when all you can hear is the clicking of their nails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

really wish I didn't see this, but as I did, please let us know if you see them making their way to Charlesland or even if you don't (for peace of mind!) - might need to go on an extended holiday, this is one fear I don't want to face :(

(and yes I know they are everywhere, but haven't seen any here yet - increased numbers increases the chances though!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

matti wrote: »
    really wish I didn't see this, but as I did, please let us know if you see them making their way to Charlesland or even if you don't (for peace of mind!) - might need to go on an extended holiday, this is one fear I don't want to face :(

(and yes I know they are everywhere, but haven't seen any here yet - increased numbers increases the chances though!).

There's loads of cats around the estate keeping the rat numbers down i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

For anyone with a problem with rats in their garden I used Storm rat poison blocks last year. Got them in woodies and gave a few to all my neighbours and the rats are gone. Also if you have any problems with the council not dealing with rats on private property ring environmental health and they will force the council to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

And I can lend out the dogs - one rat was silly enough to ignore their scent and scuttle into the garden. There wasn't much of him to hose down by the time they had chewed, shredded and tossed him around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

foxy06 wrote: »
    For anyone with a problem with rats in their garden I used Storm rat poison blocks last year. Got them in woodies and gave a few to all my neighbours and the rats are gone. Also if you have any problems with the council not dealing with rats on private property ring environmental health and they will force the council to deal with it.

I'm pretty aprehensive about using poisons. We used poison in my parents house a few years back and had to deal with decaying rats under the floorboards for about 4 months. Couldn't use the living room for that length of time cause of the smell.
    Once you can be sure they'll die outdoors its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Mullie wrote: »
    I'm pretty aprehensive about using poisons. We used poison in my parents house a few years back and had to deal with decaying rats under the floorboards for about 4 months. Couldn't use the living room for that length of time cause of the smell.
    Once you can be sure they'll die outdoors its ok.

I have the same problem, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it. Discovered a big rat this morning in the garden (he was after the seeds we put for the birds, some of them have been spread on the ground), and I'm afraid there are many more around. Hollow floor, which means I could find dead ones there. Besides, the tank in the attic doesn't have a lid and they could go there to drink (and infect it) as much as they like. Last year we found a dead mouse in the pipes, I wouldn't be surprised to find more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There are 2 types of poison that you can use, the Storm blue blocks and the red grain type. Both of which can be bought in the Glanbia co-op shop in Ashford. I think they are cheaper than Woodies. Just lay it at the end of your gardens in short lengths of 50mm (2") plastic piping so as birds and other domestic animals do not get at it. Leave a small container of water nearby so as they drink it after eating the poison ensuring a quicker death.
    Rats tend to take the Storm blocks and store it until they cannot get "normal" food so by using the grain type it means they will eat it on site. Break the Storm block up into 2 or 3 bits helps also to get them to eat it on site.
    The trouble about eradicating rats is that everyone in your area will have to lay poison or you will be fighting a losing battle.
    By the way, rats love decking cos it gives them cover and also it allows them to keep their teeth short by gnawing on the supporting timbers underneath. Rats must gnaw constantly or their teeth will grow so long as to cause them to not to be able to eat food.
    Remember you are never much further than about 5 metres (16foot) away from a rat at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Remember you are never much further than about 5 metres (16foot) away from a rat at any time.

Thanks for that - you just made my day.... :eek:

Well rentokil came out around here as there is a rat's nest under decking 2 doors down from me and mice 2/3 and 4 doors up running in the walls etc. The guy refused to go into the attic of next door as "I wouldn't be insured mate" - this after a €250 callout! He put down 2 yokes of poison in the house, 1 in the shed and 4 in the attic (achieved by standing on a ladder and placing them just inside the attic door).

Never so happy in my life to have a killer cat :D We've checked the house, attic and shed from top to bottom and no evidence of any vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Or a Man Utd fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Laying poison inside the house anywhere is not recommended as you could end up with a dead mouse or whatever under a floorboard or in attic smelling
    as previous poster said. A trap is best inside cos at least you will know you have caught it. They love peanut butter so put a bit on a trap and guaranteed to catch them.
    A cat is great so long as you don't over feed it

Laying poison inside the house anywhere is not recommended as you could end up with a dead mouse or whatever under a floorboard or in attic smelling
    as previous poster said. A trap is best inside cos at least you will know you have caught it. They love peanut butter so put a bit on a trap and guaranteed to catch them.
    A cat is great so long as you don't over feed it

Agreed about the poison. It also can take a long time to get rid of an infestation using the poison. Traps are best - at least you know you're 1 down!

Chocolate is great in traps - never fails...Twirl in particular (easy to mould).

IMHO the feeding of a cat is almost irrelevant - it's to do with the personality/hunting desire of the cat. My cat wouldn't eat anything he kills as he has no need to - he just murders for the sheer hell of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I concur.

Poison in the house is a nono. The smell of rotting mice lasts for ages and is vile.

Advertisement