Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for students of English!

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Has anyone here studied EH4002 (Renaissance literature) ? I was wondering about the reading list and texts we'll be looking at so I can do some work over the holidays (yes I know, I know - power dork). Anyway any info much appreciated. :D I did try e-mailing the lecturer but she never got back to me. :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Yep, and I haven't had any luck with the reading lists that were supposedly meant to be available. Ah well, looks like it's back to loungin' for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 missypiggy

Yep, I did that module last year...I had Emma Bidwell though, and I think she's left now, so maybe our reading list wont be the same as yours, but it should give you an idea anyway!

The plays we did were:
    Spenser, The Faerie Queen
    Marlowe, Dr. Faustus
    Shakespeare, Twelfth Night and King Lear
    Milton, Paradise Lost

We also did lots of Shakespearean and Petrarchan sonnets, as well as the poetry of Queen Elizabeth, John Donne, Lanyer, Wyatt etc.

Our textbook was "The Norton Anthology of English Literature. VOL B. Sixteenth Century/The Early Seventeenth Century", by Stephen Greenblatt. It's about €20 but I'd def recommend buying it as it was ALL the poetry and plays you'll need- handy!

So jealous of you doing this module, I absolutely loved it :) It's really interesting. One piece of advice though: even though Paradise Lost is a completely dose to read, try not to ignore it completely...it seems to be a popular exam question as every hates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Thank you so much for that, really! I had just discovered the 820-ish section of the library and was fumbling around blindly, fingers crossed. Your insight was really helpful. I'm glad to hear you liked it too, I am a bit nervous as I'm not great at decoding the language of that period but I feel more motivated now, thanks ^^-.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

missypiggy wrote: »
    Yep, I did that module last year...I had Emma Bidwell though, and I think she's left now, so maybe our reading list wont be the same as yours, but it should give you an idea anyway!

The plays we did were:
    Spenser, The Faerie Queen
    Marlowe, Dr. Faustus
    Shakespeare, Twelfth Night and King Lear
    Milton, Paradise Lost

We also did lots of Shakespearean and Petrarchan sonnets, as well as the poetry of Queen Elizabeth, John Donne, Lanyer, Wyatt etc.

Our textbook was "The Norton Anthology of English Literature. VOL B. Sixteenth Century/The Early Seventeenth Century", by Stephen Greenblatt. It's about €20 but I'd def recommend buying it as it was ALL the poetry and plays you'll need- handy!

So jealous of you doing this module, I absolutely loved it :) It's really interesting. One piece of advice though: even though Paradise Lost is a completely dose to read, try not to ignore it completely...it seems to be a popular exam question as every hates it.

Say The reading list wont be too different as David C is more than likely still doing it, so Milton will be there for sure!! And the Metaphysical Poets, like Donne! The Flea was on it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

- Bad mouthing or naming of Lecturers/Students is not allowed on this forum as boards.ie does not want to be a creator of a rumour mill.

Rather than issue everyone with an individual warning, I just deleted every post since January 7 as all but one drops in comments about particular lecturers one way or another and the one that doesn't makes no sense on its own. As always, the forum charter contains a wealth of information to help you in posting. Please read the forum charter guys, thanks, and keep the above rule in mind (it's there for good reason of politeness, legal issues and reasonableness). No hassle carrying on the thread without doing that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

sceptre wrote: »
    Rather than issue everyone with an individual warning, I just deleted every post since January 7 as all but one drops in comments about particular lecturers one way or another and the one that doesn't makes no sense on its own. As always, the forum charter contains a wealth of information to help you in posting. Please read the forum charter guys, thanks, and keep the above rule in mind (it's there for good reason of politeness, legal issues and reasonableness). No hassle carrying on the thread without doing that:)

:/ I wonder what I missed....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

:/ I wonder what I missed....

Not much really, just us two talking about our lecturers and not realising it was bad form as it was clear who they were, as in we named them!! Whoops!!

Oh well hope we helped you anyways!!!

I really like the module as well, so you should be fine with it! Oh and have fun with Oroonoko in the other english module!! :-)

Advertisement