Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you post online

• 04-01-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Just looking through the playpen waiting thread and it seems that a lot of people aren't comfortable with revealing details that would identify themselves. In comparison, some people seem completely uninhibited.

So basically, do you think before you post?
    Do you censor yourself if people you know IRL are going to see it?

The reason I ask is that recently I overheard some people that had recognized someone they knew on boards and were having a right ole laugh about some of their more personal posts. I'm not talking about "cyber-bullying" here - Its waaaaaaay too cliche for a teenage forum and the poster didn't know anything about it - but its a little scary to think about how much information people can find out about you just by looking at your post history. Way more personal than facebook photo stalking and stuff like that.

The anonymity of boards is one of the best things - you can say what you want and you talk to people you never would otherwise. Is it ruined if too many personal details are revealed?? I'm not sure.

Hmm, my resolution to start posting more (see intros thread) has led to a bit of a downer thread. Oh well...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I have no inhibitions about posting my name, location and photos on the web. I have also met several people from the internet. Doesnt really bother me to be honest, I think people are generally overly paranoid about stuff like this. However, I think some discretion should be used on behalf of the person posting stuff if they are under 16/17. And parents need to be way more vigilant about their kids internet usage in general..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I know a few people on here anyway, so I wouldn't exactly worry about things being discovered since they already know! But in general I'm very particular about what I post online. I try to be very anonymous on message boards, because a quick Google will reveal an unfortunate amount of things you've posted.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Great thread to be honest.

I personally have little reservation about what people know about me. I have very little to hide and anything that I wouldn't want people knowing, I simply don't say. I know several people on boards in real life, two of whom post here.

Insect Overlord and teh n00b Sycosised. The two approaches taken by them is starkly different. Insect is known to post his inner most thoughts on a blog whereas Sycosised has told me several times in real life he is very careful about what he puts out there.
    I'd like to think I am a careful middle ground between these two routes.

It's down to the poster in the end though. Interested to see what others think

EDIT: Syncosised got in before me, but I was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm careful about what I post about in relation to my job. In TY I posted something on Bebo about one of my teachers, and the school caught wind of it and I got suspended. So I'm afraid my employers will see something I said and they wouldn't be too happy about it. They probably will never see it, but all the same, I just want to be careful. Once bitten, twice shy.

Other than that, I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I dont really care tbh, I have gone back and had a couple of older posts deleted, our of embaressment or just facepalmage.......

At this stage, I've said so much, there's little going back, I am in blood.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Fad wrote: »
    , I am in blood.......:)

... stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er

And to think, I thought I would never have to use English again after the Leaving Cert..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I don't really care about what I post on boards, or put on the internet in general. I kinda go by the idea not to post something I'd be embarrassed about saying in real life :)

Also LOL at the Macbeth quotes! Memories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Jay P wrote: »
    I'm careful about what I post about in relation to my job. In TY I posted something on Bebo about one of my teachers, and the school caught wind of it and I got suspended. So I'm afraid my employers will see something I said and they wouldn't be too happy about it. They probably will never see it, but all the same, I just want to be careful. Once bitten, twice shy.

Other than that, I don't really care.

See, this is the kind of thing I'm thinking about. Employers have no qualms about checking out facebook pages so I don't see why they wouldn't do a quick boards search.

Also the bitchy aspect I mentioned where people search for people they know and then rip the piss out of them. I wouldn't really be bothered about whatever they're saying, but there's just something unnerving about people you don't get on with knowing personal information about you, that you wouldn't have told them in real life. Yet it seems fine to tell strangers. Damn, I'm confusing myself now. I hope somebody gets what I'm saying, because I don't...

Overall though I think its worth it. There may be those minor risks with posting personal stuff but the more you post, the more people will feel they know you. I also have no issues about meeting people from the internet, went to a TCD beers and it was grand, great putting names to faces.

So yeah, the internet knows too much about everyone, basically!

I don't really care about what I post on boards, or put on the internet in general. I kinda go by the idea not to post something I'd be embarrassed about saying in real life :)

Also LOL at the Macbeth quotes! Memories....

What, you egg!

Clearly the only one worth remembering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I know I'm one of the people you're talking about. I'm not afraid of paedo's or anything, but I'm far more personal on boards and it feels like I'm talking to friendly people. I know alot of people in real life who aren't my enemies, but I definetly wouldn't go talking about some of my life problems, or my ambitions or things. The last thing I'd want is a bunch of people mocking me over things on boards. I'd also not like my family knowing I'm on boards. I wouldn't be able to post weirdly, or crudely, or maybe even express an honest opinion on certain subjects.

TBH, it's abit too paranoid of me. But I feel comfortable keeping a low profile, and if people don't like that then tough ****. I'll meet up with ye at a C&H meet-up (albeit probably in a few years for alot of you) anyway. I do find it extremely tempting to put up a picture though, since most of the regulars have done so now, but if anyone recognised me that I know I'd be mortified!

As for when I post, I'm not overly cautious. If I was putting up anything highly personal, I'd be well-aware of it.

EDIT: As far as Bebo and things go...not too worried. I don't use it much anymore, mobile phones ftw.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, ironically, you're probably getting a more honest version of me on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

What, you egg!

Egg is actually still a pretty big insult in China according to my sister in law.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What, you egg!

We spent most of New Years Eve shouting this at each other! :D

As D4RK ONION has already mentioned, I've put pretty much everything there is to know about me up around different parts of the web. Bebo and Facebook for Social networking, all my poems on a Bebo Author's Page, songs and improvised videos on Youtube, personal reflections in my blog, and three different chat forums (one of which is now gone) for a wild combination of all these things. I'm very open about myself and my life.
    And this time next week I'll be in the Playpen, so that could get interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I've spent the last hour going through the old emails in my Gmail account, partly because of this topic, and I've found the most ridiculous amount of registrations to various sites. About 70% of them don't exist anymore, 10% have deleted my account, and half of the sites that still have my account don't have an account delete facility. It's amazing how my details get thrown around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I don't really care what I post here tbh. I never post anything extremely uber-personal, and don't mind people knowing who I am tbh.

The reason I joined boards in the first place is because 2 of my best friends convinced me to do so; I was never ever really anonymous here.

I wouldn't post anything too outrageous tbh, could get way too awkward. There's loads of people in C&H alone I see waaaaaaaaaaay too often IRL. (A Neurotic and I are in the same course, there's loads of other Trinner heads I see evrywhere, Fad/ SarcasticFairy may as well be in Trinity, there are people from my old school in Waterford here, etc etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    This is pretty much what I meant to say. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Lots of people already know exactly who I am, such as Stev_o, some people from DCU, my ex-girlfriend, possibly my brother etc.
    I don't think I post anything too weird here, nothing more weird than what I'd talk about with people IRL anyway.

TBH if they're going to the bother of looking through all my posts to see if I said something retarded it's a clear indication of which of us is cooler :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Lots of people already know exactly who I am, such as Stev_o, some people from DCU, my ex-girlfriend, possibly my brother etc.
    I don't think I post anything too weird here, nothing more weird than what I'd talk about with people IRL anyway.

TBH if they're going to the bother of looking through all my posts to see if I said something retarded it's a clear indication of which of us is cooler :P.

Hye stop mocking what i do in my spare..................

Eh i mean........ down with this perving sort of thing!

*back to studying*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

16980.jpg

Couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't care if people figure out who I am. Most of what I post is pure nonsense and anybody who actually knows me would probably pick up on inconsistencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm actually more open and honest on here than I am in real life. I hate talking about anything personal in real life, so I tend to vent on boards every so often.

I've put up a good few pics of me; if I was worried about privacy too much I wouldn't have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm actually more open and honest on here than I am in real life. I hate talking about anything personal in real life

Same although I don't think I say anything too personal on boards either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

tbh this should really be stickied IMO i do think what a lot of people are saying on this to relate to myself and now after reading this im slighly paranoid about what i post now.... i think i'll be more careful about what i say now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I joined Boards when I was 13 and I was a lot more open about personal details back then. Now I'm a lot more reserved about the things I'll post about my personal life that could identify me, but unfortunately posts from when I was 13/14/15 are still on boards and could be found with relative ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i know same here if i could i would change time :( and im only on this a few weeks lol (my friend orginally had this account but coz he never used it gave it to me coz of the cool username)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    I joined Boards when I was 13 and I was a lot more open about personal details back then. Now I'm a lot more reserved about the things I'll post about my personal life that could identify me, but unfortunately posts from when I was 13/14/15 are still on boards and could be found with relative ease.

I'm the same really. I didnt really appreciate how big Boards was (Or how much it would grow) when I first joined. But I kinda treated the whole internet as a dumping ground for my teenage angst in general......

(The worst/most stupid stuff has been deleted, dont even bother looking for it :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The only thing I would be wary of posting about is my job. A few months ago I saw a thread giving out about the service that person got in the shop I work in in Waterford and I was this close to replying, but I just thought it would be too much hassle for what it's worth.

Other than that I don't have any reservations about what I post. A lot of people from my course are on boards and they all know who I am and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I personally don't care what I put on boards, I only know one other poster here [Shacklebolt]and we've been friends since national school.

I put up more personal stuff on the internet simply because; A) I'll more than likely never meet any of you.
    B) I'm not ashamed of any of my past/emotional baggage
    C) In general my private life freaks everyone else out more than me.
    D) I highly doubt anyone would even recognise me from pictures,videos etc. anyway

But if anyone is going to go to the effort of searching my posts about me,I'd take it as a compliment and save you some time if you PM me.

"Please do not post any information you are not happy to leave up indefinitely."

Its a bit weird that stuff you post now will still be here in 10 years. Still can't figure out where I stand on the whole anonymity thing. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

i dont no anyone on here, well actually i do but he hardly posts

Advertisement