Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you post online

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

bythewoods wrote: »
    I don't really care what I post here tbh. I never post anything extremely uber-personal, and don't mind people knowing who I am tbh.

The reason I joined boards in the first place is because 2 of my best friends convinced me to do so; I was never ever really anonymous here.

I wouldn't post anything too outrageous tbh, could get way too awkward. There's loads of people in C&H alone I see waaaaaaaaaaay too often IRL. (A Neurotic and I are in the same course, there's loads of other Trinner heads I see evrywhere, Fad/ SarcasticFairy may as well be in Trinity, there are people from my old school in Waterford here, etc etc.)

Ahem. ;)

Tbh, I don't care about people knowing me, I would be worried about identity fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Ahem. ;)

Tbh, I don't care about people knowing me, I would be worried about identity fraud.

I personally have concerns about some really fúcking strange people from a county that so very almost borders Donegal obsessively stalking my blog.

Creeps.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ahem. ;)

Just so we're all clear, I can see into SligoBrewer's apartment from my bedroom.

*swoon* etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I don't censor what I say...at all...

BUT I NEVER POST PHOTOS ONLINE

*dies inside*

And no, I'm not afraid of creeps and such and such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I see a worrying amount of you people regularly, so it's all gravy. I'm hardly going to put "Member of boards.ie - username A Neurotic" on my CV for future employers to suss me out either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm not fussed about people seeing what I write on boards or anywhere else as I'm an open person with my opinion in general,
    I don't know many people who post on boards but I'm sure there is some people who might recognize me if they read through all my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm exactly the same on here as I am IRL. Well, maybe a tad more reserved on here.. the stuff I say in real life would have me banned in seconds.

Anything I say I here, I would say in real life. Anything I say on here, I have no problems with anyone knowing. I'm a very open person, an extrovert. I'm loud and I talk about myself a lot. I've given away loads of my personal information on boards (my real name, date of birth, where I was born, where I live now). Can't say it bothers me to be honest.

Saying that, I am an ocean away :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

brummytom wrote: »
    Saying that, I am an ocean away :pac:
    It's only a sea actually,I could be at your house tomorrow morning.

Actually,put the kettle on,just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's only a sea actually,I could be at your house tomorrow morning.

Actually,put the kettle on,just in case
    Any sugars?

brummytom wrote: »
    Any sugars?
    two and a half an inch of milk PRECISELY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Resurrecting this thread...

I'm very careful about what I post on this. No one knows I'm on this except my brother and I'd like it to stay that way...it's the kind of thing that just probably isn't very cool. I wouldn't care less if I wasn't in secondary school but I am and it's hard enough as it is. I'm basically saying the same thing as jumpguy and eventine on the first page. It would be all too easy for someone to find me on this if they were checking out the JC or LC forum for tips in the years ahead of me. That's one of the reasons I seriously regret my username, it makes it that much easier, but too late now...
    I'm way more honest on this than in real life too. It's kind of nice to just get something off my chest in aaaargh and even get a response to it. I don't really have anyone to talk to about my [probably petty] problems and this always makes me feel better...
    Just kind of felt like I had to get that out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I don't really care if any boardsies recognise me tbh. A few know me IRL (my brother, damselnat, nebit, Anne-Marie!!, SligoBrewer) but it doesn't bother me in the least. I've nothing to hide, and if I did, I wouldn't post it - simple as. Obviously I wouldn't rant about named employers/lecturers etc. because you never know really.

I did recently stumble across a forum I posted regularly on when I was 15ish. Nothing too revealing was ever written but jeez, some of the things I was saying... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm glad this came back again actually.
    Like I said, I don't really mind about personal information, my friends know that I post here, it's not like I'm embarrassed about it, but some of the topics I've been very reluctant to post on, and when I have I've been careful about what I said.

The ones that spring to mind are the depression thread and the relationship thread. I don't really want the entire country to know the history of my mental health, or what I think of whatever relationships I've been in. There is a line as to what I'll discuss with people I don't know very well, and countless others who lurk here.

Jay P wrote: »
    Like I said, I don't really mind about personal information, my friends know that I post here, it's not like I'm embarrassed about it, but some of the topics I've been very reluctant to post on, and when I have I've been careful about what I said.

The ones that spring to mind are the depression thread and the relationship thread. I don't really want the entire country to know the history of my mental health, or what I think of whatever relationships I've been in. There is a line as to what I'll discuss with people I don't know very well, and countless others who lurk here.

In a way I find it easier to share that kind of information here. The vast majority of people who read it will never know who I am IRL. Those who do know me and read it would probably either already know or I don't mind them knowing. There's certain things I'll never post but regards the depression and relationship threads, sometimes it's comforting to hear of people who have experienced similiar feelings/thoughts/situations etc. It can help to share advice and have a rant aswell - sometimes those things are harder to do IRL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Jay P wrote: »

This tbh, although ironically I have the most posts in the relationship thread all but the obligatory "Not in one atm" post have been in response to other people.

Thing is anything I don't want to discuss online is generally something I won't discuss IRL either.
    I'd say I probably feel more comfortable talking online than IRL in general, can you believe that IRL I'm not a super-outgoing guy hitting on everything that moves, but a quiet computer nerd!

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'd say I probably feel more comfortable talking online than IRL in general, can you believe that IRL I'm not a super-outgoing guy hitting on everything that moves, but a quiet computer nerd!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hotaru wrote: »
    In a way I find it easier to share that kind of information here. The vast majority of people who read it will never know who I am IRL. Those who do know me and read it would probably either already know or I don't mind them knowing. There's certain things I'll never post but regards the depression and relationship threads, sometimes it's comforting to hear of people who have experienced similiar feelings/thoughts/situations etc. It can help to share advice and have a rant aswell - sometimes those things are harder to do IRL.

The thing is, I tend to keep a lot of stuff inside and just deal with it myself, or try anyway. Though that doesn't really work all the time, hence I can be often seen in the argh thread. There are only a handfull of people I actually properly talk to about stuff.

since this thread has started it has changed a bit,for me anyway.With the whole C&H meet up back in january,I actually know a few of the regulars here pretty well,so there's a weird kind of crossover in that people here know me pretty well and know sides of me personality that I don't normally show to a my other groups of friends.

Ironically,the people I would see the least,from here probably know the most about me.

and for any lurkers who are following me[Hi!] I probably wouldn't be recognised from my posts, as the vast majority of people I know don't know about a lot of the things I post on here and I'm fairly reluctant to be that open with most people I know.It deinitely chages peoples' perception of you in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

It's a good thing I can't recognise people worth a damn or I'd be using your pictures and posts to make myself seem all Batman-y in real life. :pac:

But serious business, it's hard to worry about people finding out much about me here. I don't actually have any issues that I'd feel more than mildly embarrassed about. That said, I'd prefer if people didn't know who I was in real life simply because I don't want people bothering me for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Davidius wrote: »
    It's a good thing I can't recognise people worth a damn or I'd be using your pictures and posts to make myself seem all Batman-y in real life. :pac:

But serious business, it's hard to worry about people finding out much about me here. I don't actually have any issues that I'd feel more than mildly embarrassed about. That said, I'd prefer if people didn't know who I was in real life simply because I don't want people bothering me for no good reason.

I'm almost 100% certain I've figured out who you are :P

You should have never revealed your college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Fad wrote: »
    I'm almost 100% certain I've figured out who you are :P

You should have never revealed your college!
    Well shít.

But what if you're wrong? :pac:

Advertisement