Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineering with Architecture

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone doing the structural engineering with architecture course tell me what they think of it? As in , the amount of maths involved, how many hours it is, when the hours are, if you enjoy doin the course and such and such

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are some useful comments on a previous thread about it, here, and others. You have to do all the Engineering Mathematics, 7 courses in 3 years, and about 3/4 of the programme involves Maths at various levels. If you're Maths-phobic, Architecture might be a better fit!

I didn't think the hours were too onerous. The scheduling, and the amount of work you have to do outside lectures, is different every semester. There's typically one day per work week with one or no lectures at all.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

thanks a mil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 le souteneur

i'm in third year of this course and i like it anyway, there is a lot of maths as in any engineering, we'll have done 7 modules by the end of this year (which is the end of the degree stage) but the maths involved in structural engineering itself is not too difficult. a lot of the maths you do in the maths lectures is for people doing electrical and mechanical, less really applies to us. that is only so far though and could cahnge i guess. hours are about 18-24 i'd say per week including labs (whixh we dont have too many of). its a good course and we do a bit more practical work than other courses which is good fun. it is not architecture though, people seem to think it is but we only do history and theory of architecture so can not lead into architecture directly. if you like problem solving things then you'll like any form of engineering, if you are into building and have an interest in architecture then you will like this particular course.
    hope that helps
    ps keep in mind the course is a 3 year degree and 2 year masters, the degree isnt worth much on its own, the reason people do it is for the masters cos it is very good so keep that in mind

Advertisement