Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in Athlone

Options
  • 04-01-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

I was out a few nights over christmas and a couple of nights I ended up getting grub out of that chip van across from St Peter's Church. It was savage! I've been gone out of Athlone for 3 years now but I'm just wondering about peoples opinions on this. Where else is good/bad?

Any thoughts people??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

That Chipper van is pure ****e.
    Bethleem near mcdonalds/extravision is the best.

Roma out in monksland is good too.

Alfredoes was once the cream of all chippers but has sadly gone downhill bigtime.
    Avoid the genoa , they dont like to wash their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I'm liking the one out in Arcadia opposite B&Q, have been left waiting a long time on the odd occassion though, must be a good sign. The name escapes me at the moment though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yeah, Genoa is nice, but the complete lack of hygiene is so apparent - picking up raw food and putting it in the fryer and then using his same unwashed hands to pick up a pizza slice - I confronted the supervisor guy and he told me that was the only way he could do it. Idiot.

Agree that Alfreddo's( i think they are still the only chipper that fry their onions) has gone downhill, and also Bethleem. Bethleem is not as good as it use to be but still good.

Mario's out by B&Q is quality but they do take forever. I phone in now. But I would probably put that as the best at the moment.

Wishing well out on the Dublin road is good. When you sit down they give you proper plates and generous helpings.

A few mates swear that Roma out in monksland is the best.

Lets not forgot about the Cookhouse, Gorgeous lamb base chips and burgers with everything( which really means everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Marios out by the college is decent enough and I happened apon the place beside the newish pizza place there too and it was mighty tasty.

But overall Bethleem gets the top marks

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I have to say I am partial to the ultimate take away food....The Lamb Base chips with Everything, and I can only get it at The Cook House in Assumption Road!!! Yes the hygene and class is lacking, but it takes me back to the old days when we didn't give a f**k about it in the first place and all you wanted was greasy food, al la Freda's or Vals or Ryno's circa 1991!!!

Otherwise Roma, Mario's or Alkababish! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Jaysis tough one this. I think Alfredos do the best curry chips in the country. The big problem is all over the country the Italians can't make a burger. You need that from an Irish place. Thought Bethleem's pizzas were great at the beginning but kind of went off them. Was recently introduced to the wishing well. Great kebabs! I think the original diner out the Dublin road was the benchmark for chippers, even allowing for frozen chips. Have to confess the mad hoor does amazing burgers and chips. But if i had to pick one i'd go with Alfredos on the curry chips alone.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    I have to say I am partial to the ultimate take away food....The Lamb Base chips with Everything, and I can only get it at The Cook House in Assumption Road!!! Yes the hygene and class is lacking, but it takes me back to the old days when we didn't give a f**k about it in the first place and all you wanted was greasy food, al la Freda's or Vals or Ryno's circa 1991!!!

Otherwise Roma, Mario's or Alkababish! :D

jaysus man i forgot all about the cookhouse..best hotdogs and best curry cheese chips in the country.
    Haha thinkin about vals chipper, i got a hairy burger outa there once....

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

jaysus man i forgot all about the cookhouse..best hotdogs and best curry cheese chips in the country.
    Haha thinkin about vals chipper, i got a hairy burger outa there once....

Don't you mean a "furry burger" :D

Yeah the curry cheese chip is quality, I can't stand curry or garlic on real chips, they have to be frozen imho!!! Real chips should just have salt n vinegar, thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jacket/potato

has to be proper pizza out by the college, does savage offers and everythin! buy one pizza get another free on tuesdays and one delivery on tuesday is free too, theyre really sound in there too:D
    Genoa is fantastic , betheleem isnt half as good as it was tho. wishing well are good too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Have to disagree, was in proper pizza twice, first time was ****e.
    2nd time walked out before I ordered as the service was pathetic.

After looking at this thread again, i think some lamb base chips are in order tonight...oh yes!

• Advertisement

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Don't you mean a "furry burger" :D

Yeah the curry cheese chip is quality, I can't stand curry or garlic on real chips, they have to be frozen imho!!! Real chips should just have salt n vinegar, thats it.

yes real chips shouldnt be ruined.

Supermacs does a fantastic garlic cheese chips imo

That's why I love Alfredos! They do the best curry chips in Ireland because they make it work with real chips. Only place i'll ever have curry on real chips.

That's why I love Alfredos! They do the best curry chips in Ireland because they make it work with real chips. Only place i'll ever have curry on real chips.

Whats the standard of the restof their foodlike nowadays, used to eat out of it regular areound 2000-2002.

Ah its average enough. Like i said above the italians just have burger making in their dna.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Have to disagree, was in proper pizza twice, first time was ****e.
    2nd time walked out before I ordered as the service was pathetic.

After looking at this thread again, i think some lamb base chips are in order tonight...oh yes!

I'll stand up for Proper Pizza, I've order three times out of there, always phoned in and it was ready when I arrived to collect. Everytime I ordered from there it was 2 for 1. It is by far the best of the Pizza outlets. It is a branch of Mizzoni pizza, far better quality than 4 star or Dominos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Star31

If you ever feel like having something quick to eat make sure you never go to pizza Roma in Monksland, Athlone. Took me ages to recover from the food poisoning...NEVER AGAIN:mad: didn't like the service either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Star31 wrote: »
    If you ever feel like having something quick to eat make sure you never go to pizza Roma in Monksland, Athlone. Took me ages to recover from the food poisoning...NEVER AGAIN:mad: didn't like the service either

I like that place, food is nice and cheap and the lads are sound.

What did you order from them?

Savios is a class chipper , he does a deadly doner kebab , its not one of them monster yokes ya get in the kebab houses but its a nice size and its ****ing tastey.

I also reckon he does the best chips in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Kurz wrote: »
    I like that place, food is nice and cheap and the lads are sound.

What did you order from them?

+1, I often go there whenever I'm around Athlone, its quick and anything I've ever had out of it was nice.

Must have been pretty bad if he decided to register just to give out about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Savios is a class chipper , he does a deadly doner kebab , its not one of them monster yokes ya get in the kebab houses but its a nice size and its ****ing tastey.

That the place in where the old cobbler used to be?

• Advertisement

Kurz wrote: »

That the place in where the old cobbler used to be?
    Its beside mcbrides butchers where abrakebabra used to be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

For chips and such I'd recommend Bethleem. Gone downhill a bit, but still the best I think.

Pizza, by far Apache. A 10er for a large pizza with 3 toppings, free delivery too. Only take 20 minutes and the lads in there are sound aswell.

Eazzah wrote: »
    For chips and such I'd recommend Bethleem. Gone downhill a bit, but still the best I think.

Pizza, by far Apache. A 10er for a large pizza with 3 toppings, free delivery too. Only take 20 minutes and the lads in there are sound aswell.
    Have to disagree with you on apache...didn't like it at all....much prefer papa johns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The best chipper in Athlone is closed since earlier this year, it was the original Cookhouse in Tormey Villas :(

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

tubos wrote: »
    I'm liking the one out in Arcadia opposite B&Q, have been left waiting a long time on the odd occassion though, must be a good sign. The name escapes me at the moment though!!!!

Known in our house as "The best chip shop in Ireland"...... Mario's

Advertisement