Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reliable car to last at least 5 years

• 04-01-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Am thinking of changing my car. Currently drive a 97 coursa 1.2 She has been excellent to me. I am thinking of buying a 02 car as this should give me another 5 years i reckon bu appreciate your opinion

What i am asking of all you motoring people is in your opinion if you had to buy a car that would last at least 5 years

What would you be looking at spending. I want to spend as little as possible

What type of car would you be buying

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hi Folks

Am thinking of changing my car. Currently drive a 97 coursa 1.2 She has been excellent to me. I am thinking of buying a 02 car as this should give me another 5 years i reckon bu appreciate your opinion

What i am asking of all you motoring people is in your opinion if you had to buy a car that would last at least 5 years

Budget??? 02 is too vauge, i could find you a very expensive 02 or a very cheap one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

landyman wrote: »
    Budget??? 02 is too vauge, i could find you a very expensive 02 or a very cheap one :)

I thought I explained it quite well. I want to spend as little as possible on a car that i need to be reliable enough to last 5 years. Now i know there is problems you cannot forsee but there is things you can like for example. My coursa has only start rusting the last 2 years.

What I want to know is what would you be looking for to meet this goal

ie spending as less as possible and lasting 5 years.

The 02 was a suggestted year based on the time i have my 97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

This is mad! :D
    My mother has exact same issue!
    Plus the same car as you.

She has a budget of up to 5 grand to spend on a car.
    Our Corsa is basically dying a long and painful death at the moment. It's only a matter of time before it gives up...or gives up on a busy road and kills us -.-

I'll be keeping an eye on all the suggestions like you OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'd go for a Ford Focus or Skoda Octavia. Both can be got cheap and both have proven themselves to be reliable and capable of clocking good miles without costing much in maintenance. I have one of each. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I'd recommend a Mazda 3 or 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Diesel Mondeo, 3-5k

• Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Hi Folks

I would go for a 2002 Saab 9-3 here's a nice one for only 2.5k

Big jump up from a Corsa but nice cars to drive (be prepared for big increase in Tax/Ins/Fuel Costs though to move to a 2.0 if you went this kind of route!) :eek:

I like the saab I also like the skoda and the ford. I was looking a skoda's and fords this morning. There is a 1-2k difference in price. My logic says that this is a big difference on 5 - 7 k price range.

What would your opinion be on a 5k skoda 02 v's a 7k focus 02.

Assuming that the models are accptable and the engine milage is about 120k Would the engines be good and would the body work last another 5 years,

Private sales seem to be cheaper and i figure as garages have to pay vat there is more bargin power in a private sale

Any advice in appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just came across the below car! i reckon its a beauty at a great price! the engine size might be too big for you though...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/black,NE/200949196118211/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just came across the below car! i reckon its a beauty at a great price! the engine size might be too big for you though...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/black,NE/200949196118211/advert?channel=CARS

I will get an insurence quote and see. I see they are advertising 2 prices one with a warrenty one without. A strange way to do things. For 300 euro I could pay a mechanic to travel and have the reassurence its my own mechanic.

Is this normal.

All other suggestions appreciated. I am a novice with cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I will get an insurence quote and see. I see they are advertising 2 prices one with a warrenty one without. A strange way to do things. For 300 euro I could pay a mechanic to travel and have the reassurence its my own mechanic.

Is this normal.

All other suggestions appreciated. I am a novice with cars.

That car looks like a UK import as the Mondeo did not have cruise control as standard here. That is also very low mileage for a 2003 so I would want to see a service history to back it up and ring the garages to verify. Also it has Zetec on the boot yet it doesn't have the Zetec alloy wheels and the fog lights in the front bumper that are standard on the Zetec model are missing. Something doesn't add up to me.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That car looks like a UK import as the Mondeo did not have cruise control as standard here. That is also very low mileage for a 2003 so I would want to see a service history to back it up and ring the garages to verify. Also it has Zetec on the boot yet it doesn't have the Zetec alloy wheels and the fog lights in the front bumper that are standard on the Zetec model are missing. Something doesn't add up to me.

Thank you for that information. Is there any reason why I should be wery of an import when there is so many importanting from abroad.

Again if my questions seem stupid forgive me.

The car could be genuine but I find that the mileage is very low for a 7 year old diesel car. The Mondeo is a popular fleet car especially in the UK so it is quite normal for them to be driven a bit, but unlike here the road network is better over there and the cars wear the mileage alot better.

And it's not just imported cars to be weary of, you should look for the service history of any used car and verify it with the garages that stamped the book. That and have a mechanic examin it is the only way to the sure.

The car could be genuine but I find that the mileage is very low for a 7 year old diesel car. The Mondeo is a popular fleet car especially in the UK so it is quite normal for them to be driven a bit, but unlike here the road network is better over there and the cars wear the mileage alot better.

And it's not just imported cars to be weary of, you should look for the service history of any used car and verify it with the garages that stamped the book. That and have a mechanic examin it is the only way to the sure.

So an import should be fine with a mechanic.

Question on mechanic...How do you get one... The AA or just a garage, the yellow pages. Or a retainer... You could use him 2 or 3 times before finding a good car. It could get costly..

Again forgive me.... Any advice appreciated.

I would go with a mechanic who has been recommended by a family member or friend. Narrow your search down to one or two cars and once a price is agreed ask the mechanic to check both out, it is costly having a mechanic looking at every car you view. Base your decision then on what the mechanic says.

Also if buying from a garage make sure to get the warranty in writing stating what is covered so that there is no confusion later on if you need to have something fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

+1. Different alloys and missing foglights compared to my much missed 03' zetec.

Advertisement