Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Text in English

Options
  • 04-01-2010 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I know that probably most of the country does King Lear but my class are doing The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. There are loads of tips on using king lear, loads of notes etc but im finding it hard to get stuff for mine.
    Any tips on how to actually manipulate a whole novel into essays etc, I'm just finding it hard to see the text as a whole cos it's so big.
    Do I need to quote as much as I would if I was doing King Lear since it's a play? I'm just a little lost!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If you go back over the past papers, you'll find that the same type of questions are repeated for all the single texts. At the end of the day, you're dealing with Character, Theme, World/Setting and if the novel is modern/effective/worth reading.

You will need some quotes, but not as many as required for a play. You do need an indepth knowledge of the text though.

Start by doing out notes/essay plans on the central characters and then work your way up to the setting etc.

Advertisement