Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Book??

• 04-01-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of help, i'm looking for a good DIY book i can purchase and read up on to improve my very basic skills!! Something with basics in most areas. Any ideas?? Also i'm looking for a book on what paints to use on different materials??

Thanks in advance!!

Tux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Complete-Manual-Albert-Jackson/dp/B001WSG4P4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262590505&sr=8-16

Collins complete DIY manual. Contains everything you need. As its for a DIYER it gives you all the basic knowledge to understand stuff like gas central heating and structures of a roof but then gives you a detailed knowledge of tap repairs or felt/flashing repairs. You see it gives you a detail insight into stuff a DIYER should be able to do but avoids the detail of a skilled job whilst giving you the understand of what the trades person will be doing.

It also has a section on paints although with the advances in paints the last few years I think this is a bit outdated, It does make a brilliant arguement about using own brand paint. People paint so often now its pointless in buying expansive paints for internal walls.

It also has a brilliant section in the back on tools, Nails ad screws. in other words, what does what...

I bought this book then bought the mini blue version as present for my brother. I ended up keeping both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

tuxedo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of help, i'm looking for a good DIY book i can purchase and read up on to improve my very basic skills!! Something with basics in most areas. Any ideas?? Also i'm looking for a book on what paints to use on different materials??

Thanks in advance!!

Tux

I have the "Readers Digest DIY Manual" which I bought in Woodies. The IBSN No. is 0-276-42933-8. I think they have a continuous stock. Definitely covers paints and almost everything else. Also includes the relevant UK rules and regulations for the various disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tuxedo

Thanks for the replies. A mate of mine recommended B&Q DIY Lets' Do It Book, anyone know if its any good??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

tuxedo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. A mate of mine recommended B&Q DIY Lets' Do It Book, anyone know if its any good??

No sorry. I have not needed another since getting the one I got, Between it and google I am sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

The 3 that have been recommended are all good for a diyer, every home shuld have one. Just remember that sometimes the informatin is based on British ways of doing things (likewise the net is often US) particularly the wiring diagrams and plumbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

I second the vote for Reader's Digest DIY manual - we've had it 2 years and still refer to it for every project. The color photos are always very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tuxedo

I've done a little bit more research, i've seen B&Q, not really impressed too old. Readers Digest looks the part alright just what im looking for. just have to take a quick look at collins and i'm sorted. thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement