Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting a lens here or abroad?

• 04-01-2010 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Going to NYC soon and I'm looking at renting a Sigma 10-20mm for about a week. Would it be cheaper/better for me to rent a lens here and take it with me or rent it over there.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just looking at the price of rental here .... for the week ...it would be almost cheaper to buy the lens when you get over (given deposit required and cost of rental).

-some of the american lens rental places dont mention a deposit but require security checks and as a visitor to the country you may not qualify for lens rental.

does it specifically have to be this lens or just any wideangle ?

you could also watch american advert sites and try pick up the lens cheap secondhand on your first day there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

If it's Canon mount you can rent mine cheapish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RVP11

Not specifically that one, no. I was also looking to rent due a cash shortage atm.

Yes I was looking for a Canon mount Covey. What would you charge for a week in Feb?

I was also looking at renting a Canon zoom lens for a basketball match in MSG. The lighting is reasonably good there and you aren't too far from the court wherever you sit. I was looking at the Canon Ef 100-400mm. Is this too much just for a basketball match? I want really good detail from whatever lens I chose so I thought maybe it would be okay. What other zoom lens would you recommend for the game? The Canon Ef 100-400 would cost $25 to rent for a day. Not bad considering the price of it new or used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

RVP11 wrote: »
    Not specifically that one, no. I was also looking to rent due a cash shortage atm.

Yes I was looking for a Canon mount Covey. What would you charge for a week in Feb?

I was also looking at renting a Canon zoom lens for a basketball match in MSG. The lighting is reasonably good there and you aren't too far from the court wherever you sit. I was looking at the Canon Ef 100-400mm. Is this too much just for a basketball match? I want really good detail from whatever lens I chose so I thought maybe it would be okay. What other zoom lens would you recommend for the game? The Canon Ef 100-400 would cost $25 to rent for a day. Not bad considering the price of it new or used.

PM me me, I'm sure we can come to an arrangement :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Be careful with renting prices quoted online. As PCP already mentioned you have to give a deposit, usually cash, which can be a lot in nyc shops from my experiences. If a piece of equipment costs less than $1000 the deposit can be anything from $200 to $300 cash upfront. Obviously you get this money back providing there is no damage etc. Still as PCP already pointed out you could spend that much on just buying the lens anyway in the states.

I used www.lensrentals.com a lot and it was the cheapest by a great margin compared to a shop. Just as an example a 70-200 f/2.8 $66 insured for 7 days. Obviously as they have your credit card number on file they can charge you for late returns etc should they occur. They might not deliver to a hotel room depending on location - they once refused to deliver to where I was living in Brooklyn...*insert Brooklyn joke here*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

RVP11 wrote: »

re MSG - Dont - Unless you have a Press pass pre-arranged... MSG prohibit cameras with telephoto or zoom lenses. They generally allow disposable or 35mm cameras - no zoom or telephoto lens allowed.
    Also, for some events, cameras of any type and/or flash photography is a no/no

Unless you have done your homework and have the required paperwork do not attempt to bring your equipment to MSG, the NBA and MSG strictly control their empires and you will be refused entry

Advertisement